Is this newly purchased yeast too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoned_post_meridiem

Reaction score
Just a quick sanity check here -- I bought some Y1217 (wyeast west coast IPA) from Northern Brewer a few days ago, and the pack I got is stamped 01-16-19. I don't think I ever bought yeast from them, and never used this specific product, but ... does this seem too old to anyone else as well? I kind of expected something a little fresher from a high-volume place like NB, but maybe it's par for the course?

Should be okay. Plenty of yeast viability tools out there to help compensate. I use Beersmith.

Yes that is quite old. You’ve got about 1/3 of the cells at this point. Time to make a starter!

Definitely going to make a starter (though with this light beer, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't need to had the yeast been extra-fresh). I was just trying to gauge if this yeast-age is within the norm ... in my experience, my yeast has usually been at most 3-4 weeks old when shipped.

It was well-packaged with an ice pack, so at least I'm fairly confident that it was kept well.

That's old?!? Sure, might need a starter, but I just got yeast to take off in a starter that was dated January of 2018! Man, I loves me some bargain-bin yeast!

Some of you guys with nearby LHBSs are spoiled!

First in, first out. I get that the odd time here in Canada. Is that date best before or packaged on?

Yes that is quite old. You’ve got about 1/3 of the cells at this point. Time to make a starter!

You must be using Jamil's yeast viability calculator. Using Woodland Brewing's calculator would show about 95% viability if stored refrigerated. Yeast isn't that fragile that it loses viability that quickly in the proper storage conditions.

You should always make a starter with liquid yeast. You don't know the yeast's health until you do. It could have been mishandled, frozen, overheated, whatever. Besides for proving viability, a starter will ramp up cell count too.
Using Woodland Brewing's calculator would show about 95% viability
Now that's an optimistic viewpoint! Hasn't come out of 2015's beta yet, has it?

Should we use Woodland's from now on and throw out Jamil Z. and Chris White's book on Yeast? At least tear out those pages on aging and viability? Give Mr.Malty a last goodbye and sayonara to Homebrewdad's Yeast Calculator? I think not!

Although the latter are perhaps overly conservative, and may not apply as much to White Labs' Pure Pitch Packs for the first 3-6 months, I'm continuing to use their estimates and like having that extra margin for security. Of course some judgment based on learned experience can be applied.

Back