irish stout fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivista310

Mr. Rook
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first batch I ever brew and I have a quick question. I followed all the instructions to a T and did my fair share of research before starting my amateur brewing career. I added dry yeast to my fermenter and bubbling started about 24 hours later. Unfortunately the temperature inside my apartment is at about 60 degrees. I noticed that the bubbling in my air lock subsided after about 3 and a half days. Is that normal? or is there anything I can do to make sure this batch isn't ruined? Thanks in advance! :rockin:

Hello All,

This is my first batch I ever brew and I have a quick question. I followed all the instructions to a T and did my fair share of research before starting my amateur brewing career. I added dry yeast to my fermenter and bubbling started about 24 hours later. Unfortunately the temperature inside my apartment is at about 60 degrees. I noticed that the bubbling in my air lock subsided after about 3 and a half days. Is that normal? or is there anything I can do to make sure this batch isn't ruined? Thanks in advance! :rockin:

With an ale yeast the bubbling (not a good indicator of fermentation) should stop bubbling in about that time at those temperatures. Now you can just wait it out for the yeast to complete the "quiet" part of the ferment and hope they don't go to sleep first at that temp or you can encourage them to complete by raising the beer temp a bit. A tub of warm water would help that. Just set your fermenter into the tub of water and occasionally remove/replace some of the water with warmer or get an aquarium heater to do the same.

Here's a little reading to help you understand what the yeast are doing. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

It's muntons yeast. I think i'm going to try and warm up the area somehow. Thanks a lot!

Back