Irish Ale Yeast in an American Weiss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medusa1066

Reaction score
I forgot to order the appropriate yeast for AHS Miami Weiss kit. Should I use the Irish Ale Yeast I have from another batch? Thanks!

There is such a diversity of flavor profiles among wheat beers, even when you narrow it down to 'American wheat', its hard to answer your question.

If you are looking for an american version of a belgian witbier (like Allagash White or even Blue Moon) then I don't think the Irish Ale yeast will give you what you want. But if you are looking for a lighter, summer-ish wheat beer (say like 3 Floyds Gumball Head), then I think the Irish Ale yeast would be an interesting experiment.

What kind of yeast would you have used, or does AHS recommend with this kit?

AHS recommends White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale WLP320 or Wyeast American Wheat 1010.

This is only my fourth beer. Mini-Mash steeping.

At this point, I would be more than happy with a light, drinkable summer beer. The recipe has Crystal 20L, white wheat, and dried lemon peel, but I am also going to add fresh orange peel. After reading up, I will probably lose the banana and clove flavors, as well as some of the characteristic cloudiness. It sounds like I should be OK. I will try to update this thread. Thanks!

Yeah both of the recommended yeasts are for hefeweizens. The WLP320 is less fruity than the typical WLP300, and would give you a little more crispness. In all honesty, I say give it a go because I like trying oddball twists like this. Unless you're like me and used that Irish Ale yeast for a porter or stout last time. In that case, I'd skip it.

AHS recommends White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale WLP320 or Wyeast American Wheat 1010.

This is only my fourth beer. Mini-Mash steeping.

At this point, I would be more than happy with a light, drinkable summer beer. The recipe has Crystal 20L, white wheat, and dried lemon peel, but I am also going to add fresh orange peel. After reading up, I will probably lose the banana and clove flavors, as well as some of the characteristic cloudiness. It sounds like I should be OK. I will try to update this thread. Thanks!

Sounds like a plan! Good luck!

This turned out just fine. Not as much citrus as I would have expected, but a good summer session beer.

Back