Cream Ale All Grain Kit - Bad Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architect-Dave

Architect & Fledgling Home Brewer (5-Mana Brewing)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I ordered the Cream Ale all grain kit from Morebeer. Got lost in shipping during this past storm. Morebeer is sending out a new kit. Comes with the liquid Cream Ale yeast. Turns out, BOTH shipments are arriving tomorrow as FedEx found the missing shipment. IF the yeast is bad, I will have a bonus set of grains and a pouch of hops. I have some packets of dry yeast laying around. So, the grain bill is 5-lbs 2-Row and 5-lbs Pilsner malts. There is a pound of flaked corn which I can obviously deep-six it. Any suggestions on what to do with those 10 pounds of malts to make another beer style with it? I could get another pouch of the yeast and make the second batch of cream ale - I do like it. But, i could utilize some random yeast and hops and make some other style. What would this grain bill be good for?

I'd look at this as a opportunity to pick a dry yeast with similar characteristics to the liquid yeast and see what differences you notice between the two brews. Keep everything else the same.

If the dry yeast you already have isn't too different but maybe not the better match then sure, try it so you can use it up.

You could make two batches with the same yeast. One way to do it would be to take some slurry from first batch and make another when it is done, or just add second batch of wort to the fermentor right after you rack the first batch, assuming you have only one FV..

I'd be curious to know what strain the "cream ale" yeast is with kit. To my knowlage there is not a speacial strain for that, probably just a neutral flavored ale yeast. I always use US-05 for when I make it, with good results.

All great ideas. The yeast is the White Labs Cream Ale. It is a mix of Ale and Lager yeasts. Comes in a pouch that looks like the kids’ squeeze pouch of apple-sauce.

Attachments

• B8DD21BD-717E-4152-BC98-A7183A89B3EA.jpeg
    B8DD21BD-717E-4152-BC98-A7183A89B3EA.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 0
If you already know and like the beer from the kit, then I would definitely check the known version against US 05. Just to see if the difference is worth the extra time and effort.

Otherwise, you could easily turn this grain bill into an american apa or an adjunct lager. For APA, add more late hops plus maybe some dry hopping, for adjunct lager, swich to 3470 and lower the IBUs to about 20 with an OG of about 1.042.

You could also add some roast barley or chocolate/black malt and make a stout. Continental or American, it's up to your hops.

But honestly, I would do the comparison. And please let us know about the outcome.

If you already know and like the beer from the kit, then I would definitely check the known version against US 05. Just to see if the difference is worth the extra time and effort.

Otherwise, you could easily turn this grain bill into an american apa or an adjunct lager. For APA, add more late hops plus maybe some dry hopping, for adjunct lager, swich to 3470 and lower the IBUs to about 20 with an OG of about 1.042.

You could also add some roast barley or chocolate/black malt and make a stout. Continental or American, it's up to your hops.

But honestly, I would do the comparison. And please let us know about the outcome.
We will see. The last cream ale I made was with 05…but was an extract. Worth looking into.

So, Morebeer sent along the replacement recipe kit. As a gift, they gave me a pack of the Verdant IPA dry yeast from Lallemand to use with the late arrival kit. They said using the same recipe for the Cream Ale using this yeast instead would make a great ale. So, that is what I am going to do. A cream Ale with the WL Cream Ale Yeast and and IPA with the Verdant Ale Yeast. I have a few pouches of hops from past brews that I will dry hop this new mystery IPA with. let you know...

So, Morebeer sent along the replacement recipe kit. As a gift, they gave me a pack of the Verdant IPA dry yeast from Lallemand to use with the late arrival kit. They said using the same recipe for the Cream Ale using this yeast instead would make a great ale. So, that is what I am going to do. A cream Ale with the WL Cream Ale Yeast and and IPA with the Verdant Ale Yeast. I have a few pouches of hops from past brews that I will dry hop this new mystery IPA with. let you know...
Verdant is indeed a great IPA yeast. The beer will be good!

Latest posts

Back