Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rand0

Reaction score
Dunkel Weizen brewed 09/10/13 racked on top of a wyeast 3068 cake from a previous Hefeweizen batch. Only opened the fermenter once during this fermentation last week to get a gravity reading. Opened today to take another sample and possible bottling and saw this. Can anybody tell what is going on in this bucket?

IMAG0505.jpg

It smells ok and tastes fine too. Any Idea what might be growing in there based on the picture?

I would say not to throw it out. Leave it for a couple more days and see. Maybe if the smell and taste is okay it is not an infection after all. Just scoop the stuff from the top and see if it continues. I think you will know in a bit if it will be drinkable :)

Yeah definitely infected. I would try to scoop off the skin on top and just see what happens....might end up being a good sour :mug:

As a side note:
Since it tastes fine right now, you might actually just want to de-skin it and bottle/keg and drink sooner rather than later so the infection doesn't take hold again.

Bottling was my intention but when I started to transfer the Starsan through my auto siphon I realized it didn't seal properly so was leaving long streams of bubbles through the tubing. I don't want to have oxidized and infected beer so I'll hold off until I pick up a new siphon. Not sure when that will be seeing how the closest HBS is over an hour away not sure if I'm up for a road trip.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Back