Ideal ABV for big beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I do a lot of Imperial Stouts and Barley Wines, and have fallen into the habit of just aiming for 12% ABV. Though in the past it’s been anywhere from 10% to 16%.

Just curious what range others aim for, and if you think there’s a sweet spot that produces the best beers.

I brew a few big beers a year and I usually shoot for nothing higher than slightly over 10% ABV. This is more for practical purposes though since I do this to avoid re-seeding for carbonation. I keg carb too, but don't keg beer that strong.

The highest I've done was 15.5% and it tasted too much like Sherry for me. For Imperial Stouts and Barleywines, the sweet spot for me is 9-10%.

One of the best beers I've ever brewed was a clone (their recipe) of He'Brew Sweet Sixteen: 16 grains, 16 hops, 16% ABV.
That said, most commercial big brews are boozy above 10%.
IMO, I don't think there is an ideal ABV for a "big beer" any more than there is an ideal ABV for brew is general. It should be brew by brew.

If I were younger I'd probably hop jump on the high ABV bandwagon. However I'd rather be able to drink more and wobble less.

A minimum of 9% probably is what an Imperial Stout should be at to generally even be considered an imperial stout.

I haven't done stouts. My ales are coming in at 6 to 7.5% and now that I know a little more about what I'm doing, I'm going to start shooting for about 5 to 5.5%

The best commercial Imperial Stouts I’ve had were in the 11% to 14% range. That’s why I’ve tended to aim in that range. My 10% RIS was the least favourite one I’ve done, while my 14% example won best RIS of show.

Interesting to see everyone aiming for lower levels than that. It’s a good point about the high ABV making you all wobbly! I tend to spend a few hours sipping my way through bottles of my big beers.

I tend to aim for 6 - 7% for the ability to not get wobbly too soon.
But if I plan on a high ABV I go closer to the high end of a Belgian Dark Strong ~ 10-12%
I don't aim for high-ABV for high-ABV sake. If it doesn't please the palette I failed.

Personally, I feel that around the 10% is the sweet spot as far as the effort to reward balance. That will get you a big, complex and flavorful beer that is decent to drink in 6 months. As you push up above the 14% range, choice of yeasts get limited and lots of extra work is needed to get decent attenuation. I have had several beers, both commercial and homebrew, in the 15% range that are quite alcoholic and harsh for the first 2 years. While you cannot slam back 10% beers, at some point the alcohol level gets to the point where it is hard to even enjoy a 12 oz bottle.

Often the phrase "this does not drink like a 12% ABV beer" is thrown out as a positive. Personally, if I am investing the budget into the calories and alcohol of a 12% beer I want it to slap me in the face and tell me that I am drinking a 12% beer. If it "drinks like a 8% beer" then I would rather drink the 8% beer.

Once I got over the Belgian thing, I can't say that I've ever brewed to a specific ABV. To me, that seems like an odd metric to shoot for. Instead, I tend to "taste" something on my...well, if your mind has an eye, surely it has a tongue too, so, my mind's tongue. At that point I work backward from the grain and hop bills, to the yeast, then to the water and, at that point, the ABV kinda works itself out on its own.

To my mind, the ideal ABV is the one that tastes right.

Back