I think I made rocket fuel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tauschung

Reaction score
On 9/12 I made 2 1 gallon batches of cider using red star champagne yeast (1 spiced 1 not). I did 1 gallon of HEB pasturized cider for 1 pound of dark brown sugar. I racked it off yesterday to a carboy and tasted it. I could taste the apple in there, but the taste of alcohol was overwhelming.

Thoughts?

Did you take any gravity readings? I'd be curious to find the OG/FG and see how high you got it.

Did you take any gravity readings? I'd be curious to find the OG/FG and see how high you got it.
+1

Also did you try it cold or at room temp?

Is it possible some of the alcohol perception is also coming from the dryness? ( I am assuming it is pretty dry b/c of the yeast and amount of time they have had to eat)

I forgot to take readings yesterday. And, I tried it at room temperature. My plan is to let it sit for a few more days, so that I can rack out more of the sediment. I can take readings then..

I don't think that alcoholic taste came from it being so dry...it didn't seem that dry.

Don't most recipes call for 2 pounds for each gallon? I held back on it because it's brown sugar...and therefore I think more potent.

Ciders need to condition for months don't they? I know with mead and wine it certainly makes a huge difference, right after primary fermentation it will have a very raw, "alcohol-ly" character, but with aging the alcohol taste mellows a lot and blends in to the back round.
I imagine it will probably be pretty dry though, regardless, with the champagne yeast.

Give it some time and back sweeten with apple juice?

The Apfelwein recipe here calls for 2lbs per 5 gallons. Seems like cider should be in the same range, but I haven't really researched a lot of recipes there. As far as being more potent I'm not sure. I think there's more complex sugars in the brown sugar which are harder for yeast to eat, thus leaving behind more flavors and sweetness, but some yeasts will eat anything so....

Ok apfelwein is much more of a wine than a cider (taste wise) I love my authentic German apfelwein (straight from the homeland) now I haven't tried edworts recipe but if it's 2# per 5 gallons well then 1:1 even with brown sugar is a bit more potent and will end up being far more winy. For my ciders I don't add sugar unless I need to dry it out a bit towards the end but then again I like farmhouse ciders...

Yes... Sounds like you did make rocket fuel....

It would be worthwhile to use your hydrometer and do the sugar calcs before the next batch...

Let's assume Normal apple juice runs about 1.050 sg... You added another lb of sugar -- which probably brought it up close to 1.085-ish sg... which is almost 12% potential alcohol.....

So.. Yes, I suppose it would taste a *Bit* fusel-ey straight out of the primary....

The traditional thing to do now is to bulk age it a while... the fusel/lighter fluid flavor will dissipate with time....

Try it after 2-months and see how it fares.... A year would really be best....

Ciders you drink within a week or 2 typically have no extra sugar -- just straight fermented apple juice....

Thanks

John

Back