Hunaphu Day & Tampa Bay Beer Week (3/1-3/9)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But seriously, who in the hell thinks its a good idea to have a tickertastic beer release and beer festival at the same time in an industrial parking lot?
Three Floyds is going to have to legitimately work to **** up worse than this.

I have faith in them though.

Maybe this year they can have three separate bottle lines with no rhyme or reason randomly converge instead of the traditional two?

They need to randomly invite a bunch of other tickerific breweries to pour in the parking lot at the same time.

Next year if I come down I'm going to Pegs on Friday and going to the beach on Saturday.
The beach always delivers.
Suddenly I feel really good about coming down a week early. Especially because I talked my way into sneak previewing some of the more special beers from the other breweries around the area. ;)

Mods going gangbusters on the other site. The meltdown thread is actually shrinking despite rapid fire replies.
Good. It's nice seeing them stressed over there. "Too many opinions to contain, kill them all!"
You guys are just too damn complacent. :cool: Also, there's a great argument for not having sponsors...

Last edited:
The amount of people defending CCB and El Catador on social media is just mind bottling. Do people think they are going to earn special favor by digitally sucking off CCB or are people actually that dumb?

This sounds like a brewery made cluster**** in waiting.
No last year was a cluster**** of 9000 people. This year probably would have had more people and gotten shut down by the city.
gif_twinpeaks_coop_whistle.gif

Fourth post win

Glad you enjoyed yourself.(hopefully)

Hope it didn't put a bad taste in your mouth. Are you planning on going to 7venth Sun tomorrow?

Nah, we went back to Skrypt's place near Gainesville so I'm not driving all the way back down. Planning to hit some places in Jacksonville on the way back home.

Can we please get stories about everyone that ate at Peg's on Friday got food poisoning? and their FB page has been taken down? =D

I purchased my Huna ticket from a local and brought him "thank you" bottles. He didn't make Huna, because he was seriously sick from food poisoning from Pegs. Not sure how many others were sick, but I know of one.

Thank god I didn't eat at Pegs. Food poisoning in addition to the Huna day ****ing would have really topped this weekend off.

my group of 4 ate at Pegs and it was delicious, no food poisoning.

i like that excuse tho "man, i threw up the entire next day after going to a barrel aged beer event where they had 20 taps of high ABV beers and a huge bottle share. it MUST have been that damn been burrito I ate!!"

My Hunhapu **** show story:

Full disclosure right off the bat, I was fortunate enough to get my 3 bottles of Hunah but had to effectively cut the "mob" that had formed in front of the doors where the bottle sales were going on because waiting in line for 45 minutes resulted in moving 5 feet. Luckily I found a new friend I had met from the Tampa Beer week festivities earlier in the week and he snuck me in through the side where his bottleshare group was posted up. I realize this made me part of the problem but considering the circumstances I can admit I caved on my moral compass for some beer. (The chair/bottleshare locations discussion is for another time.)

In retrospect, foolishly, I showed up around 10:55 like CCB asked. Promptly waited in line for an hour and 45 minutes to get in. When I reached the front of the line I was greeted by two CCB employees with iPhones set to their camera modes and was asked for my ticket. The employee then proceeded to merely wand over the ticket in such a nonchalant fashion I couldn't even call it play acting to scan my ticket.

Once in, the lines for taps were effectively free form abstract works of tangled human bodies. Honestly I wasn't quite sure if I was at a Beer Festival or an orgy at Studio 54. (A lot more clothes, a lot less coke.) Anything remotely rare was pretty much already kicked and the crowd was only getting larger and larger as the line behind me prior to entering was wrapped around the block. Two hours later, an hour in line for bottles alone, I left. Sober, confused, but luckily for me bottles in hand.

After hearing people got shut out and the cops began removing people from the property I feel sick. If this was the only event I had been able to attend this week like the hundreds of other out-of-towners that traveled here for Hunahpu Day, I wouldn't be mad, I would be livid. There is nothing CCB can do to make up for screwing that many people over and nothing they can say to defend themselves.

I met some great people and enjoyed the company of friends I've had the pleasure conversing with on other social media sites, but god damn if that wasn't the worst run cluster **** ever.

Next year if I come down I'm going to Pegs on Friday and going to the beach on Saturday.
The other events saved them. A lot of people are still happy overall with their trip. If this were a stand-alone event, CC would be a smoldering pile of cigar butts and nerd shirts right now.

I purchased my Huna ticket from a local and brought him "thank you" bottles. He didn't make Huna, because he was seriously sick from food poisoning from Pegs. Not sure how many others were sick, but I know of one.

Thank god I didn't eat at Pegs. Food poisoning in addition to the Huna day ****ing would have really topped this weekend off.
I ate there with no problems.

Three Floyds is going to have to legitimately work to **** up worse than this.

I have faith in them though.

Maybe this year they can have three separate bottle lines with no rhyme or reason randomly converge instead of the traditional two?
I've heard that this year's Dark Lord release is going to be primarily geocache based.

So they're refunding $50 x 3,500 tickets = $175,000? Wow. Without commenting on whether it's a good choice, $175k of lost revenue (whose associated costs are already sunk) seems BRUTAL for a small business.

So they're refunding $50 x 3,500 tickets = $175,000? Wow. Without commenting on whether it's a good choice, $175k of lost revenue (whose associated costs are already sunk) seems BRUTAL for a small business.
They'll probably come close to breaking even after margins on the sold bottles.

Last edited:
They'll probably come close to breaking even after margins on the sold bottles.
I'm not claiming they'll be bankrupt or anything; rather, it's just amazing that they're (in a position where they feel they need to be) refunding money that I'd guess could easily represent 20% of their yearly profits.

They'll just raise the price of Jai Alai by 50 cents per six pack.

I'm not claiming they'll be bankrupt or anything; rather, it's just amazing that they're (in a position where they feel they need to be) refunding money that I'd guess could easily represent 20% of their yearly profits.
Yup, I'm sure they have (or had) plans for the revenue. Unless they have no idea what's going on with their cash flow, which wouldn't surprise me.

What's the best way to recoup that lost revenue in one day? Catador round 2 signups probably just got expedited a bit..

Now I'm dead serious. When you saw him, did he have my bottles of hunahpu? His well being is a secondary consideration.
hahahahahahaha **** your bottles! Too bust waiting in line and ensuring **** faces didnt cut me in line. I was 1 person back when they said "no more cases". Luckily, they had about 6 cases left and I was A-OK

Yeah I lost my cool. He kept bitching about my cooler. So I told very loudly and a few times to shut the **** up. But we shared beer about 10 minutes later.
My girlfriend thought that guy was an idiot for fighting with you. I lol'd and proceeded to wait for my bottles that never happened. Although the Cuban sandwich I had waiting in the cf was glorious.

Back