Hunaphu Day & Tampa Bay Beer Week (3/1-3/9)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to take a bunch of students to a conference that weekend. :-( Maybe (hopefully) next year.
There's this great conference going on in Chicagoland that weekend too...

...I don't know your field but its Chicago, I'll find something.

So many things wrong with Saturday - security, ticket/attendance accountability, DB Huna case limit (!), blended lines, volunteers getting shafted, food truck owners getting boned on showtime, fights, rude/unacceptable staff behavior, yadda, blah, blech. At least the refunds will happen and they had enough porta-potties.

The best thing about this weekend was putting faces to familiar names and sharing beers with some great people: msw105, mhenson42, Coldsnack, liquiddegenerate, some window licker named MKLEVER42, hotmetal, ThreeFishes, Hopsiam14, maltytasker, StoutSeth, Hanzo, richardflyr and many others from the other site. Hope to drink with all you dudes again and I'd have you over for food, beers and bullshitting anytime.
Incredible group of generous people. It was nice popping bottles on the backside of the property in the "**** this ****" section of Huna day. These dudes, and many others, made this an incredible weekend.

http://tkbr.me/NRt6Qs

The Full Pint just received the following word from founder of Cigar City Brewing, Joseph Redner in regards to future Hunahpu Days.
“I have always tried with these releases to balance fairness with the reality that some people will always try to get around your best efforts at fairness because they personally deserve more. This year they got WAY around my pitiful efforts.

I am acknowledging defeat. That was the last Hunahpu Day. The beer will go into distribution next year and hopefully spread out among many accounts it will get to consumers more fairly.

To those that got shut out this year we will be working on another batch.”

I understand admitting defeat and recognizing you screwed up really good, but cancelling the event all together?

Just have the damn bottle release Friday afternoon/evening, and event on Saturday. There are plenty of viable solutions, and can't believe they just decided to cancel it all together.

They are speaking in the heat of the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they walk this back in a few days/weeks/months.

They are speaking in the heat of the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if they walk this back in a few days/weeks/months.
Reintroduce the day as an anniversary party, Huna gets released the day prior, charge $75 a ticket and make it GABF East Coast. They just gotta teach employees how to actually scan tickets instead of waving an iPhone at them and they're good.

I understand admitting defeat and recognizing you screwed up really good, but cancelling the event all together?

Just have the damn bottle release Friday afternoon/evening, and event on Saturday. There are plenty of viable solutions, and can't believe they just decided to cancel it all together.

CCB's solution to when things mess up to just take things away and try something else. It feels like they think a different idea than years before is a way to resolve the issue. Huna day didnt have to go but I guess they chose to throw in the towel than try a different idea and I guess they never considered really moving the event offsite probably had good reason(s) not to.

For those bitching about the BD Huna sale. We got there about about 10, found our place to camp. Went back to buy Merch and in the Merch line a girl says if your looking for the special release bottle the line starts here. I'm Like OShit, I just won the lottery, but if I dont like what bottles they have for sale I can keep my money.

Thank ended fast. The posted a sign saying ITP, GGA, DG and DB Huna. I was 5th in line. My buddy got a case, I got 5 bottles. (wanted to save my money for reg Huna, Big mistake).

As far as the EL Catador bottles being released to the masses as some say. OMG you let people buy cases of DB Huna. We you could have bought a pallet of the other 3. There were no limits on those.

If they would have announced that these bottlea would be available then there would have been another line with 400 people in it at 10am just like the TG tent and the 3floyds line.

I hade a great time. Bottle share at the Hilton was great! And free beer on a Sunday morning at CCB was even better.

Cheers.

CCB's solution to when things mess up to just take things away and try something else. It feels like they think a different idea than years before is a way to resolve the issue. Huna day didnt have to go but I guess they chose to throw in the towel than try a different idea and I guess they never considered really moving the event offsite probably had good reason(s) not to.
I think with the giant crowd and the trafic being snarled and the police having to clear everyone out. They probably would/will be denied a permit for next year.

I say move it to the Parking lot of the Brew Hub they are building in Lakeland. HUGE, will be plenty of parking and they dont have to deal with the City of Tampa.

What an incredible over reaction. It shows the character of CCB's management. An organization led by a true leader and competent staff would take the 2014 disaster and use it as motivation to have a world class event next year. I know this is only a beer event, but I think reacting in this manner says more about the company as a whole and its management. It makes me question whether I will give them another $125 or more for El Catador #2 for the promise of 5 bottles of beer. What if brewing the first bottle becomes difficult, will they cancel brewing the other beers and cancel the club. This of course is extreme but the type of character displayed here makes it possible where before I would not have even considered that. Amazing......

Edit: To clarify, I am not bitching about canceling Huna day. I am just amazed by the lack of leadership and determination to be the best. This is a quitters mentality.

Last edited:
I think with the giant crowd and the trafic being snarled and the police having to clear everyone out. They probably would/will be denied a permit for next year.

I say move it to the Parking lot of the Brew Hub they are building in Lakeland. HUGE, will be plenty of parking and they dont have to deal with the City of Tampa.

I doubt the city of Lakeland wants this headache on their hands now after hearing about this lol. Everyone here knows offsite is the way to go. They have a freaking fairgrounds 10 min away but my guess is $$$ is preventing that. I wanna use this quote from my friend who I wont name but I feel this effectively summed things up.

"I suck, I got out smarted (again) so I'll just give up cause I've never had to overcome any difficulties in life and can't handle this challenge. So i'll make it easier on myself and make it worse for everyone else. Enjoy calling Total Wine and ABC mutltiple times a day asking for Huna to buy at a markup!"

Cheers
Cigar City Brewing

I heard that they are debating closing the whole operation down with Huna '15 cancellation feedback ringing in.

tP6K8Lb.jpg

I'd love an extended report about that one then!

I'm really disappointed I can't make it to DLD this year, would love to see how it compares with yesterday.
http://hoosierbeergeek.blogspot.com/2010/04/dark-lord-day-2010.html

The lines were terrible. The line for DL bottles split into both directions on the main road, but no one knew. The split was around the same area as lines for guest taps and too few port-a-potties. So if you slowly made your way in one of the DL lines, you eventually ran into a huge mass of people where the two lines joined and everyone was cutting right in that area.

****, may as well go to huna day :(

There were a lot more cute girls at Huna Day than I expect to see at this conference. Thankfully, it's relatively close to Asheville and we are staying there, so I can just hit Wicked Weed every night afterwards.

So CCB is in the wrong now for doing away with future Huna Days?

Aren't these ridiculously high-volume production "Release Parties" the problem with the current scene? They're going to distribute it.... you'll still be able to get it.... they'll produce a **** ton of it.

Their stouts suck anyway..... best beers I had from them were their fresh IPAs and Berliners while I was there. I'd go back to that brewery again despite the shitty location it's in.

Aren't these ridiculously high-volume production "Release Parties" the problem with the current scene?

no. these parties can be awesome if you actually aren't too cheap to hire security, get a real ticket processing system, hire events planners, etc. look at how awful DLD used to be. DLD is fantastic now. sure, it's not $55 all you can drink, but it probably shouldn't be anyway.

What an incredible over reaction. It shows the character of CCB's management. An organization led by a true leader and competent staff would take the 2014 disaster and use it as motivation to have a world class event next year. I know this is only a beer event, but I think reacting in this manner says more about the company as a whole and its management. It makes me question whether I will give them another $125 or more for El Catador #2 for the promise of 5 bottles of beer. What if brewing the first bottle becomes difficult, will they cancel brewing the other beers and cancel the club. This of course is extreme but the type of character displayed here makes it possible where before I would not have even considered that. Amazing......

Edit: To clarify, I am not bitching about canceling Huna day. I am just amazed by the lack of leadership and determination to be the best. This is a quitters mentality.
It's. Been. Two. ****ing. Days. Relax and think it through.

Incredible group of generous people. It was nice popping bottles on the backside of the property in the "**** this ****" section of Huna day. These dudes, and many others, made this an incredible weekend.
Great to meet you Coldsnack!

I doubt the city of Lakeland wants this headache on their hands now after hearing about this lol. Everyone here knows offsite is the way to go. They have a freaking fairgrounds 10 min away but my guess is $$$ is preventing that. I wanna use this quote from my friend who I wont name but I feel this effectively summed things up.

"I suck, I got out smarted (again) so I'll just give up cause I've never had to overcome any difficulties in life and can't handle this challenge. So i'll make it easier on myself and make it worse for everyone else. Enjoy calling Total Wine and ABC mutltiple times a day asking for Huna to buy at a markup!"

Cheers
Cigar City Brewing
Wow... okay bro.

Back