Hunaphu Day & Tampa Bay Beer Week (3/1-3/9)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With an event that big, the day should be split in half anyway. X hours for bottle pick up and X for the beer fest. I got to have maybe 20 or so pours before I waited in line to be shut out. The line to get bottles felt more like a mosh pit.

Can we please get stories about everyone that ate at Peg's on Friday got food poisoning? and their FB page has been taken down? =D

I ate the Frito Bandito burrito and the Hard tacos. Didn't get food poisoning. Got taken away only half finished, but that was my own fault for walking away bottle sharing and thinking it would stay there on the barrel I was standing around.

What were people eating who got sick?

With an event that big, the day should be split in half anyway. X hours for bottle pick up and X for the beer fest. I got to have maybe 20 or so pours before I waited in line to be shut out. The line to get bottles felt more like a mosh pit.
Central Waters had a similar issue, except they didn't sell out. Several of us in line were like "why not just open the bottle sales to ticket holders a couple hours before the party?"

That would give people the chance to get bottles, bring them back to their car or hotel, and then come back and enjoy themselves.

Central Waters had a similar issue, except they didn't sell out. Several of us in line were like "why not just open the bottle sales to ticket holders a couple hours before the party?"

That would give people the chance to get bottles, bring them back to their car or hotel, and then come back and enjoy themselves.
Exactly. By the time I got into the event, I had enough time to grab a few pours and jump into the bottle line.

or better yet: names on tickets (transferrable up until a certain time before event week). bottle sales all week with a guraranteed allotment for the person who's name is bound to the ticket. no bottle sales during the party itself. no trustees. hire a professional event planner to help run the draft party/bottleshare. release leftover bottles at the pub afterward. done.

Rabble rabble rabble.

**** happens, it is evident that beer people cannot plan events.

I got there at 10:30 because I assumed with 3500 people going that the line would get bad(who would've guessed it did). Got in in under 15 minutes.

Rabble rabble rabble.

**** happens, it is evident that beer people cannot plan events.

I got there at 10:30 because I assumed with 3500 people going that the line would get bad(who would've guessed it did). Got in in under 15 minutes.
Had you followed directions and showed up at 11 like they asked or had everyone ignored the requests of CCB and showed up prior to 11 causing a **** show earlier in the day then I'm sure you'd be pissed off like most people are.

Had you followed directions and showed up at 11 like they asked or had everyone ignored the requests of CCB and showed up prior to 11 causing a **** show earlier in the day then I'm sure you'd be pissed off like most people are.
Say what?

jegross2 walked away with 5 cases of DB Huna, EVERYONE should PM for a bottle, he's selling at cost….

Let me stop this rumor before it gets out of hand. It was three cases, and its only cause I tricked raymo out of the third one. Sent a case to Jeff smith, a case to John st Charles and the rest are for trolling

Let me stop this rumor before it gets out of hand. It was three cases, and its only cause I tricked raymo out of the third one. Sent a case to Jeff smith, a case to John st Charles and the rest are for trolling
Can you please respond to the rumor that you paid for them in nickels causing a major disruption/delay to all lines at the event?

To the people who are telling others they should have shown up earlier (here, Facebook, etc.): the problems were not due to CCB not having enough time. They would have had these issues regardless of when people lined up.

If one more person got there really early, then they would've gotten Huna or more pours, but everyone else behind them would've been more likely to be shut out. And that's not even considering that CCB explicitly told people NOT to line up early.

The know-it-all, arrogant ripping of those who came "too late" and missed out on things is wholly unwarranted. Let's give it a rest.

Driving back to Texas after the madness, which gives me plenty of time to reflect. IMO, there were two major blunders:

- Security. You're holding a ticketed event where you serve alcohol on your property, and there's not a fence around the perimeter? Seriously?! This is all sorts of unacceptable, not to mention a major liability lawsuit waiting to happen. Lack of security led to many of the other problems later that day.

- Selling cases(!) of DBH to the ~50 lucky people who happened to be standing nearby when they went on sale. This needed to be done via a lottery for 1-3 bottles, not a case. The FFF scratch-off ticket system is a good model to emulate.

I personally had a great time drinking some awesome beers with great people. However, had I followed CCB's instructions to arrive "fashionably late", I suspect my experience would've been dramatically different.

Driving back to Texas after the madness, which gives me plenty of time to reflect. IMO, there were two major blunders:

- Security. You're holding a ticketed event where you serve alcohol on your property, and there's not a fence around the perimeter? Seriously?! This is all sorts of unacceptable, not to mention a major liability lawsuit waiting to happen. Lack of security led to many of the other problems later that day.

- Selling cases(!) of DBH to the ~50 lucky people who happened to be standing nearby when they went on sale. This needed to be done via a lottery for 1-3 bottles, not a case. The FFF scratch-off ticket system is a good model to emulate.

I personally had a great time drinking some awesome beers with great people. However, had I followed CCB's instructions to arrive "fashionably late", I suspect my experience would've been dramatically different.

Sooooo.......got any extra DBH?

So many things wrong with Saturday - security, ticket/attendance accountability, DB Huna case limit (!), blended lines, volunteers getting shafted, food truck owners getting boned on showtime, fights, rude/unacceptable staff behavior, yadda, blah, blech. At least the refunds will happen and they had enough porta-potties.

The best thing about this weekend was putting faces to familiar names and sharing beers with some great people: msw105, mhenson42, Coldsnack, liquiddegenerate, some window licker named MKLEVER42, hotmetal, ThreeFishes, Hopsiam14, maltytasker, StoutSeth, Hanzo, richardflyr and many others from the other site. Hope to drink with all you dudes again and I'd have you over for food, beers and bullshitting anytime.

Last edited:
jegross2 is #str8grossin
CWBilyL.jpg

Despite having personally had a great time, that had to be biggest fiasco in craft beer history. I'm not mad but I feel bad for those who really got screwed over. Also, can someone get touch with @jloomis on the other channel and get him over here? Wanted to thank him again for letting a bunch of us hang out at his tasting table and sharing so many great beers. Huge thanks to everyone else who shared beers, especially whoever had the Schramm's Heart of Darkness, and the '12 Bourbon Dark Lord. Glad people seemed to like the homebrew growlers I had with me. Wish I had brought more bottles to contribute. Silly me thinking that at a ticketed beer festival we wouldn't really need to because there would be plenty of tap pours...

Latest posts

Back