How to remove Blackberry seeds from my cider brew please??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all, a quick question that I Hope someone can help me with.
I am making aside a kit and had some blackberries in the freezer which I have blitzed and blended and added when syphoning into another FV for secondary fermentation today, however even though I blended and blended there are still loads of tiny rock hard bits of broken up blackberry seed left in the 23L of cider, will these seeds soften in the secondary fermentation? And if not how the hell am I going to get rid of them so they don’t spoil my drinking pleasure of this brew please??

any help would be awesome please!

Use cheese cloth while bottling/kegging. Usually when you soak seeds before planting them, they do soften up and swell, so maybe it won't be such an issue.

A 1 gallon sanitized paint strainer bag is a lot finer mesh than cheese cloth and if set in a largish funnel works pretty well. Depending on the amount of "mush" with the seeds you might have to empty and rinse it a couple times. Just sanitize after the rinse.

I used a spice bag over the siphon inlet and racked to a pot through cheese cloth. I think a paint bag would be better for a large batch.

22502202479_53a0d2c69f_c.jpg

Drink it through clenched teeth? :D

Sounds delicious! May I ask the name of the kit? I'd like to try making something like that.

Edit: Search for 'nut milk bag' on amazon, they are made of an extremely fine mesh suitable to strain particles from nut milk, and do a really good job. You could pour through it with this batch, and maybe next time put the puree through it into the fermenter, then tie it up with the pulp inside and drop it in during fermentation.

I would suggest a piece of hosiery over the end of your racking cane.
Cut a small piece, stretch it over the end and secure it with a twist tie or zip tie.
Sanitize everything first.
That was going to be my next suggestion. That’s the reason I do all my primary in a bucket, with all my fruit in a mesh bag. Plus you can make enough to give you a full gallon after you pull the fruit and rack off lees. If you get some stuff into your secondary vessel, so be it, just let it clear again before bottling.

Last edited:
Howdy all, my apologies for such a delay in getting back to you about this but I’ve been quite ill.

Thanks for all the amazing advice on this, I can actually report that I siphoned off again into another FV and my auto siphon actually stopped 99% of the seeds going through so the cider is now perfectly clear... it tastes like p1ss water haha but it’s nice and clear.

I believe that my mixture of adding blackberries and lime just added way too much bitterness, it has turned out like an incredibly strong and bitter cranberry juice, although I am hoping it may be better with a bit of age. Either way I have another one of these strawberry kits to make, next time I am going to try adding either tinned peaches or instead a bag of frozen mixed tropical fruit.

Howdy all, my apologies for such a delay in getting back to you about this but I’ve been quite ill.

Thanks for all the amazing advice on this, I can actually report that I siphoned off again into another FV and my auto siphon actually stopped 99% of the seeds going through so the cider is now perfectly clear... it tastes like p1ss water haha but it’s nice and clear.

I believe that my mixture of adding blackberries and lime just added way too much bitterness, it has turned out like an incredibly strong and bitter cranberry juice, although I am hoping it may be better with a bit of age. Either way I have another one of these strawberry kits to make, next time I am going to try adding either tinned peaches or instead a bag of frozen mixed tropical fruit.
If its not good now, time will do nothing to improve it.
Said nobody ever.

Put it up for a few months, come back to it and see if it is amazing yet; if not, give it some more time. Eventually, it will be epic.
Keep brewing and RDWHAHB!

Back