How much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitOS

Reaction score
I bottled up my Imperial Stout yesterday, started a new batch of Vanilla Porter on Saturday and have an Amber Ale kit on the counter. I'm thinking about doing the Amber Ale kit today.

How many batches do you have at any given time?

I had three going at one time once, would have been more if I had more fermenters. I've seen pictures of people's brew closets on here with up to 8 batches fermenting at once, so you're good. Happy brewing. :mug:

4 going inside and a lager outside.
It's really taught me patience, and made me drink faster as 2 are ready to roll, but I don't have enough bottles yet!

3 fermenters always full of something :) I don't bottle or keg until I have something to refill with.

At my peak this summer I think I had 5 or 6 in various primaries, plus a mead I have bulk aging, at least 2 that I was drinking, and 1 or 2 that was bottle conditioning...

I haven't really topped that. Usually I have 1 or 2 in primaries at any given time and at least one bottle conditioning and one or 2 I'm drinking.

RIght now I have 2 in feremters (one dry hopping) 1 I'm drinking, one that just came to drinkability and 2 that have a couple weeks of bottle conditioning to go.

And I plan to brew at least twice between now and when I go back to work on the 5th, hopefully I'll squeeze more that 2 brews in...

I have 3 going and would have more if I was kegging and had more carboys. I'm getting a Sub Zero Refrig for lagering BUT the snow is too deep to deliver so that wil have to wait until spring.

I have 2 going. 1 each in primary and secondary.
This weekend I'm buying another 5g and a 6g glass carboys. Plus a hefe kit.
Next weekend, i plan to buy a 3rd 5g carboy and an AYTBD kit.
Weekend after that, another 5g carboy and apple cider. then bottle what's in 2ndary now, and rack whatever's in the 6g into the then empty 5g and try my first AG pale ale.
Is that too much? :)

I have 2 going. 1 each in primary and secondary.
This weekend I'm buying another 5g and a 6g glass carboys. Plus a hefe kit.
Next weekend, i plan to buy a 3rd 5g carboy and an AYTBD kit.
Weekend after that, another 5g carboy and apple cider. then bottle what's in 2ndary now, and rack whatever's in the 6g into the then empty 5g and try my first AG pale ale.
Is that too much? :)
:rockin::mug:

"How much is too much"

When you have brewed exactly one batch more than you have buckets or carboys to fit it in, and all the stores are closed.

Well, then that is too much.

3 at the moment!

I have a lager going at all times because I only have one spare fridge and it doubles as my kegerator. The fridge can hold two corny kegs, the CO2 tank, and a 6.5 Gallon primary fermenter.

I also have a mead going, and a pale ale that is about ready to be racked.

PROST!

I bottled up my Imperial Stout yesterday, started a new batch of Vanilla Porter on Saturday and have an Amber Ale kit on the counter. I'm thinking about doing the Amber Ale kit today.

How many batches do you have at any given time?

So your question could be rephrased as "how do I know when I have a problem?" :D I think that as long as you ask the right crowd, you never do have a problem.

Cheers!:drunk:
BoB

I have 13 batches going right now.

I can list them if you'd like me to!

I always keep that many in the winter, the summer are kinda lean round here.

I have about seven batches bottled up and conditioning. Three more I've been sampling from.

I did a whole slew of brewing once the weather turned cold, 'twas good. I wanted to experiment with a lot of different styles, and now I can see which of these I'll do again and how I might alter what I did.

Never a good idea, I've found, to brew the same recipe again without a break, since, if you are like me, you're going to want to do something different the next time.

Usually that means more hops. Lots.

I had 2 primaries full until just recently + 1 batch of apfelwein. I'm hoping to have 2 primaries + 1 apfelwein + 1 mead in use at all times in the next month or two.

1 in the primary, in the 1 secondary, 1 5 gal carboy of wine on its second racking. 8 batches bottled since October with ingredients for at least 5 more in the wings. Planning on doing Strawberry wine in a few weeks, probably 10 maybe 15 gallons.

I have 5 batches in one stage or another:
Tapped: English Pale Ale and Apfelwein
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Primary: Pale ale and SMaSH
Also soda in a keg
I think I'm brewing another SMaSH with Amarillo hops this weekend..... I have an empty fermenter, and an extra corny.

I don't consider that this is too much... so I think you're good to go for a long time yet!

Now I have three fermenting now and I can do four. Two batches are conditioning and I have one that I'm drinking (the blond is going to have to go down the drain.) Sadly I might run out of beer because two of the batches I have going are months out from now. I think I need to try a Mild. I never have tasted one.

I usually have 2 or 3 batches in either primary or secondary. Right now, though everything is empty! I think I'll fix that tomorrow. 5 or 6 in bottle right now.

Back