How many fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 3 tap keggerator, and 5 kegs. One keg is usually filled with sanitizer.

When I used to bottle, I would keep bottles around for about 5 batches. I'm glad not to be doing that anymore.
I only started back up bottling again this year. It’s not as bad as I remembered. 3 gallons is only 30 bottles, so that makes it a little easier.

I rinse out my bottles as soon as I empty one, store them clean in a case. Botlling day I put them in a bucket of pbw for 10 min, drain, rinse, move to a bucket of star san, drain, rinse, fill, cap, repeat. I set up a little table with my bottling bucket up on a milk crate and that puts the bottling wand in a great spot where its easy to fill the bottles. Its not that much of a chore and it really doesn’t take that long.

I’m using Fastlabel to print labels and put them on my bottles. No affiliation, I just like them. I used to use the little Avery circles on the bottle caps but too many fell off leaving me guessing what was in the bottle. Its fun to play with Photoshop and make labels

Now here’s another question - for those who bottle, how many cases of bottles do you have?
LOTS!! I bought a few cases of new bottles, collected bottles from the roadside, then was given 3 cases by a friend. I think I have about 15 cases but since I have them scattered about I'm not sure.

Do I get a prize, or just bragging rights:

SS Brewtech Unitank
SS Brewtech Chronical
SS Brewtech Brew Bucket
fiberglass conical (don't remember the brand)
Brew Jacket plastic fermenter
(2) 30L Speidel plastic fermenters
Fermonster
(2) Big Mouth Bubbler fermenters (plastic)
(4) Better Bottle fermenters
1.75 gal. Big Mouth Bubbler glass small batch fermenter
(2) 6.5 gal. glass carboys
(5) 6 gallon glass carboys
(4) 5 gallon glass carboys (obtained them in mid 70s; survived five cross-country moves intact!)
(1) 3 gal. glass carboy
(2) 2.5 gal. glass carboys
(8) 1 gal. glass jugs
(2) ½ gal. glass jugs

That's all I can account for from memory without inventorying the storage building out back (we're experiencing blizzard conditions, so that ain't happening today). So that's 39 total, give or take a few I might have missed. In addition I've broken (1) 6.5 gallon carboy (full of a Chardonnay at the time) and (2) 5 gallon glass carboys early on in the learning curve part of this hobby. All the others are still present and accounted for, but the stainless steel and the large glass carboys are all that ever gets used any more.

My wife calls me a pack rat, but I refer to myself as a proud owner. Maybe I should downsize. Who's interested in picking up some old fermenters that have significant sentimental value?

Do I get a prize, or just bragging rights:

SS Brewtech Unitank
SS Brewtech Chronical
SS Brewtech Brew Bucket
fiberglass conical (don't remember the brand)
Brew Jacket plastic fermenter
(2) 30L Speidel plastic fermenters
Fermonster
(2) Big Mouth Bubbler fermenters (plastic)
(4) Better Bottle fermenters
1.75 gal. Big Mouth Bubbler glass small batch fermenter
(2) 6.5 gal. glass carboys
(5) 6 gallon glass carboys
(4) 5 gallon glass carboys (obtained them in mid 70s; survived five cross-country moves intact!)
(1) 3 gal. glass carboy
(2) 2.5 gal. glass carboys
(8) 1 gal. glass jugs
(2) ½ gal. glass jugs

That's all I can account for from memory without inventorying the storage building out back (we're experiencing blizzard conditions, so that ain't happening today). So that's 39 total, give or take a few I might have missed. In addition I've broken (1) 6.5 gallon carboy (full of a Chardonnay at the time) and (2) 5 gallon glass carboys early on in the learning curve part of this hobby. All the others are still present and accounted for, but the stainless steel and the large glass carboys are all that ever gets used any more.

My wife calls me a pack rat, but I refer to myself as a proud owner. Maybe I should downsize. Who's interested in picking up some old fermenters that have significant sentimental value?
After getting and using the unitank how do you go back to the chronical and bucket?

I have a 3 tap keggerator, and 5 kegs. One keg is usually filled with sanitizer.

When I used to bottle, I would keep bottles around for about 5 batches. I'm glad not to be doing that anymore.

Just remembered 6 or 7 buckets in addition to the glass, PET and stainless mentioned above. Haven't brewed in them in YEARS, but they are still quite useful as storage bins. Added plus: they're stackable when not in use.

After getting and using the unitank how do you go back to the chronical and bucket?

The Brew Bucket is now relegated to fermenting wine (almost always kits, and almost always in use). After fermentation is complete, the wine goes into 6.5 gallon carboys for stabilizing and clarification, then into 6 gallon carboys for extended aging before bottling.

I got the Chronical before wanting/needing/begging for the Unitank. The Unitank is definitely the go-to fermenter for beer with the Chronical as the backup when I've got more than one fermenting at the same time. Ales usually go from pitch to keg in 2-3 weeks, lagers about 4 weeks (sometimes longer) before kegging and lagering, so there's often some overlap, but the Unitank gets the bulk of the work.

Realistically, everything else it just gathering dust and I should probably thin the herd. Trouble is, each device represents an incremental stage in my process of gaining experience and expertise in both beer making and wine making since 1975. As silly as it sounds, there's a sentimental attachment to these inanimate devices.

I had 20 cases of long necks at my bottling peak - almost 500 bottles. And I always cleaned and sanitized them before bagging each case of bottles in a kitchen trash bag and storing the case for next use.

Shockingly, a good three years after I had totally switched to kegging I still hadn't been able to GIVE AWAY more than a quarter of those damned pristine bottles, in spite of putting the word out repeatedly and often. It was pretty sad to end up dropping a couple of full cases in the trash bin each week until they were finally gone...

Cheers!

I had 20 cases of long necks at my bottling peak - almost 500 bottles. And I always cleaned and sanitized them before bagging each case of bottles in a kitchen trash bag and storing the case for next use.

Shockingly, a good three years after I had totally switched to kegging I still hadn't been able to GIVE AWAY more than a quarter of those damned pristine bottles, in spite of putting the word out repeatedly and often. It was pretty sad to end up dropping a couple of full cases in the trash bin each week until they were finally gone...

Cheers!
I had almost that many after I started kegging. I finally decided to toss all but 2 cases. While loading the bottles in the pickup for the trip to the dump I was looking at all of the colorful six pack holders. The proverbial light bulb over my head lit up. I tossed the bottles and kept the holders, cutting them into pieces and stapling them over the unfinished drywall on the long wall in my basement brewing space. Cheap, easy way to cover the drywall and add some beer-themed décor to the semi-finished part of the basement.
401914D3-6B87-4AB6-A2BB-ADC37E3375B9.jpeg

I had almost that many after I started kegging. I finally decided to toss all but 2 cases. While loading the bottles in the pickup for the trip to the dump I was looking at all of the colorful six pack holders. The proverbial light bulb over my head lit up. I tossed the bottles and kept the holders, cutting them into pieces and stapling them over the unfinished drywall on the long wall in my basement brewing space. Cheap, easy way to cover the drywall and add some beer-themed décor to the semi-finished part of the basement.
View attachment 710498

Ive long admired that wall from your posts in other threads. Had no idea it was that big! Looks neat, didn’t realize that’s how you accomplished it.
Part of my brain has always tried to find a pattern in the logos...

On topic:
I usually have two brews and a cider/mead or two fermenting at once, but works been nuts so everything is empty.
2 big mouth bubblers (one siphonless)
3g fermonster (my main)
6.5g bucket (mostly relegated to water at this point, occasionally a cider)
About half dozen 1g glass jugs. I love small batches

Just remembered 6 or 7 buckets in addition to the glass, PET and stainless mentioned above. Haven't brewed in them in YEARS, but they are still quite useful as storage bins. Added plus: they're stackable when not in use.

Yeah, I remembered 2 more 1 gallon glass jugs that I have in a high cabinet. I rarely use them, but they've come in handy for yeast starters and the smallest of batches in the past. The necks are near enough the same size as carboy necks, so the airlocks fit nicely.

3 - 6g PET carboys
1 - 5g glass carboy
1 - 6g glass carboy
10 ball lock cornies
1 sanke sixtel w ball lock on coupler
10 cases of bottles; primarily mix of 12 & 16's with odd cases of grolsch flip tops, Czech 1L flip tops and champagne bottles..
20+ buckets w lids; mainly 5's with a couple 7's &10's primarily for storage
chest freezer (fermenting)
frig w/o taps (cold storage)
frig w 5 taps (serving)
Unbelievably spouse that started this hobby w me in 1980...

Ive long admired that wall from your posts in other threads. Had no idea it was that big! Looks neat, didn’t realize that’s how you accomplished it.
Part of my brain has always tried to find a pattern in the logos...

On topic:
I usually have two brews and a cider/mead or two fermenting at once, but works been nuts so everything is empty.
2 big mouth bubblers (one siphonless)
3g fermonster (my main)
6.5g bucket (mostly relegated to water at this point, occasionally a cider)
About half dozen 1g glass jugs. I love small batches
Here’s a little better pic that shows the entire wall. It’s 8’X16’.
005A4C23-DB99-451A-B236-2F9E56AFE949.jpeg

2 5g poland springs, used just for apfelwein
1- 6.5g original bucket from when I started
1- 8g bucket
1 - 6.5g plastic big mouth bubbler
1 - 6g glass carboy I never use any more, nor plan to use, but you never know, so you never throw it out, we'll call it the marital harmony obliviator #432
2 - 5g corny kegs fit with top-draw/clear-draught, for ferm & serv or ferm & xfr

I think I have to vote with @IslandLizard as the winner tho.
That is serious inventory

I currently have a Fermentasours 7gal, a SSbrewtech 7gal, a fermonster 7 and 3. I also have four or five glass carboys in various sizes from 5 to 6 gals (never have used them as they came when I bought my tippy dump system. The fermonsters and SS get the most use. I think the fermentasaurus is a bit of a pita. The one without the bottom dump may be better. I did make a lid for the fermonsters to do pressure ferm and transfers. Oh yeah, I also have 8 kegs, but haven't used them as fermenters much.

1-Anvil 7.5 w/ Cooling System
4-6 Gallon Glass Carboys
4-5 Gallon Glass Carboys
1-3 Gallon Glass Carboy (Sour Culture, For Random Leftover Wort Dregs)
1-6 Gallon PET Carboy (Wild Ciders Only)
1-7 Gallon PET Bucket (Wine Only)
A lot of Kegs, not for fermenting yet, but some dedicated to sours, ciders, mineral water, etc.

I've got 5 but only use three really. Got a new one (a fermonster) but need to find a gasket that fits the lid

Two 7g Fermonsters that see constant use, a 6g plastic carboy that's a bit scratched up but is still fine, a 3g plastic carboy for cider, and I THINK four 6.5g buckets, one of which is a bottling bucket. Since I got the fermonsters I hardly ever use any of the others; they are the shiznit in terms of cleaning and being able to keg directly from them with a vinyl hose jammed into the spigot. Not to mention dry hopping is a breeze, can use any size bag I want as long as I keep the string under the lid.

Cheers!
500 bottles of beer on the wall, 500 bottles of beer - take one down, pass it around, 499 bottles of beer on the wall....

i have 7G SS brew tech conical that i modified to put the chill coil in the side of it like the brew master edition.

i want either a 10g unitank or some type of fermenter that i can ferment under pressure. thought about a brite tank but the way i brew i don't think i would use it to its fullest potential. now if i had a glycol chiller i would as i would keep 10G of easy drinking beer in it and use my 2 tap and 5 gallon kegs for one off beers.

this next year i see my brew set up to evolve a bunch.

I have;
3-14 gallon SS Brewtech BME chronicals
2-10 gallon SS Brewtech BME Brites

My wife told me it was unnecessary but I disagree.

I spent a lot of time going back and forth between unitanks and chronicals/brites. So far I am happy with my decision as I like to have the brites dedicated for conditioning and carbonating. I am planning on using one of the brites as a dedicated conditioning vessel for lagers/pilsners.

tempImagekN0DbZ.jpg

I have a 14 gallon Blichmann Fermenator (tri clamp version) that I use for 10 gallon batches once a month, that I have had for several years now. I have a 7.9 gallon Speidel for ciders and meads, a 4 gallon Delta Brewing Systems FermTank that I just won on this forum! Sweet! That I will put to good use, and I also have several glass carboys of various sizes that I really don't use anymore and I need to donate.

John

So I've got a 6-gallon clear Mr Beer (old school style), a 6-gallon bucket, a 6-gallon carboy and an 8-gallon HDPE conical.

Of the four, I prefer the Mr Beer 'cause it's clear, durable and extremely portable, so it's easy to track what's going on inside and won't shatter if I inadvertently hit it with something hard... like the carboy might. The other two are opaque, and all the extra holes in the conical seem to complicate sanitizing. The batches I've done in it so far all seem to have had issues with crusty things on top of the kreusen.

I have;

I spent a lot of time going back and forth between unitanks and chronicals/brites. So far I am happy with my decision as I like to have the brites dedicated for conditioning and carbonating. I am planning on using one of the brites as a dedicated conditioning vessel for lagers/pilsners.

View attachment 714388

LOL that looks so expensive, iy crashed the website just trying to copy and paste the pic...these are mine $20 a piece...

myfermenters.jpg

and yet.....some how....i get flak for drinking TOO much! :drunk: 😛

what I'm using now

2 7gal stainless buckets
1 3gal stainless buckets
1 60L fermezilla

retired - but still have in case of a zombie apocalypses
2 6gal pet carboys
3 3gal glass carboys
1 3gal speidel
2 1gal big mouth fermentors
3 1gal glass jugs

LOL that looks so expensive, iy crashed the website just trying to copy and paste the pic...these are mine $20 a piece...

View attachment 714426

Haha. It wasn't cheap but I bought most of it used and got some really good deals. At least that's how I justify it to myself haha

I have;

View attachment 714388
thing of beauty and a sight to behold. SWMBO would make me sell one of my bikes to do that.

Aside from the buckets and carboys mentioned earlier, I do have a few 1-gallon jugs, rarely used, but occasionally I'll take a gallon of something for adjuncts or such.
I have a ton of bottles, too. When |I bottle, I almost always use bombers - though I keep a 12-pack of 12 ozers around in case. Like a gallon batch of mead I made went into 12-oz.
I probably have 10 or 12 cases of empty bombers down there, plus another 8 or 10 full or partly full.

View attachment 714426

I have 10 of those. My favorite fermenter ever. I have many buckets and a dozen glass carboys. Always come back to these

what do you use for a replacement gasket when they crack? need some!
I need a replacement also. I was thinking about using a small diameter silicone hose. Maybe split it and put on the container before I screw the lid down. Not sure if they make a solid silicone backer rod? That is what we call it in the States anyway. I just added a gas post to a lid. I think the seal will hold for a pressure transfer. Wish I could find a few new ones. My source dried up.

Last count I've got like 20+ but many of those are used for long term aging of cider and wine.
I keep thinking I want to start fermenting beer in kegs only, but never seem to get around to it.
I've got way too many bottles and I'm going to toss most of them out soon.

Back