How do I ferment warm when using kveik yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT!

I am quite interested in trying out kveik yeast. It seems to be all the rage. I've read that you should ferment them warm (18 C and up to 39 C or so). My question is this: Normally we want to keep the temperature of the fermentation vessel down - for this I have a temperature controlled fridge. It uses an STC-1000 to control temperature. It has a "hot" outlet to heat with. Could I just put the fermentation vessel in the fridge and hook up something like a light bulb or a hair dryer to the "hot" outlet to reach the appropriate fermentation temperatures for kveik? Can the fridge handle the increased temperature? Or is there a way where I don't have to necessarily use a fridge?

Thank you in advance.

Hi HBT!

I am quite interested in trying out kveik yeast. It seems to be all the rage. I've read that you should ferment them warm (18 C and up to 39 C or so). My question is this: Normally we want to keep the temperature of the fermentation vessel down - for this I have a temperature controlled fridge. It uses an STC-1000 to control temperature. It has a "hot" outlet to heat with. Could I just put the fermentation vessel in the fridge and hook up something like a light bulb or a hair dryer to the "hot" outlet to reach the appropriate fermentation temperatures for kveik? Can the fridge handle the increased temperature? Or is there a way where I don't have to necessarily use a fridge?

Thank you in advance.
I just chilled my kveik wort to 38c, pitched the kveik and wrapped the fermenter in a blanket plus a sleeping bag.

It will be finished really fast and the majority of the time stay within the high temperature range due to the isolation and the exothermic behaviour of the yeast.

Simplicity!

I put my bucket in a larger water vessel and used a sous vide to heat the water around it. Worked like a champ.

Not exactly something everyone tends to have sitting around, but is a great option if you do have one.
IMG_20190121_203956.jpg

I bought a $15 fermentation heating pad on Amazon. I place my fermenter on top of it and wrap it with blankets. I actually have an inkbird connected to it as well, although I've only seen it go as high as 99 degrees F when just kept on the whole time...so maybe not even necessary to have the inkbird. Just plug the heating pad in and let it run. Others often use a fermwrap.

Back