Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im defintely not the only one. much earlier in this thread there's quite a few of us who got something similar. and the wife got something similar too.

I feel like it did get it from omega. its been so long I don't remember but I can't think of anywhere else I would have gotten it from. white labs, wyeast, imperial, they didn't have it at that time to my knowledge.
Mine is also Omega and I get a citrusy character from it.

Is nobody else winding up with the weird caramel or mushroom type flavors? My hornidal beers all had weird caramel flavors as opposed to citrus, really not what i was expecting. They were underpitched, fermented hot, etc etc. Miles away from the bright citrus that’s described here.

While I have heard of both Hornindal and Voss giving those flavours instead of their usual profile, it is most likely a combination of factors that caused those flavour producing esters to appear.

Is it in all of your beers you make with the yeast?

If it is, it could be the yeast is producing then at a higher rate than the citrus esters, or the water chemistry reacting with it, or the grain bill bringing them out. Or a combination of all the above along with pitch and temp rates.

Or your yeast has shifted a bit away from the original. You said you can't even be sure where you bought it, so I guess it went through many generations and was harvested again and again? Maybe that's the reason.

Today I crashed the brew I made mentioned in posts 488, 498 & 501. Racked it to kegs after cellar temp spund/condition around 70F for two weeks. Was hoping plastic taste would work out.

I tasted a sample, I know it is not fully crashed, but still tastes like plastic to me, just like previous samples. Am afraid this might be a dumper if it does not change a lot.

Brewed and fermented in all stainless vessels, so it is not related to that. Have never encountered this taste before in a beer.

Or your yeast has shifted a bit away from the original. You said you can't even be sure where you bought it, so I guess it went through many generations and was harvested again and again? Maybe that's the reason.
No. I just don’t remember. Only did maybe three brews. Then tossed it cuz it was all caramel and weird.

Looking at notes and it says hothead. So there you go.

The caramel would be nice in a brown or something, but the citrus was what i was expecting. Wish i knew why so i could do it on purpose, or get the citrus instead.

That sounds like an infection then. Hothead isn't hornindal and those flavors are not to be expected from that strain or its original culture.

No. I just don’t remember. Only did maybe three brews. Then tossed it cuz it was all caramel and weird.

Looking at notes and it says hothead. So there you go.

The caramel would be nice in a brown or something, but the citrus was what i was expecting. Wish i knew why so i could do it on purpose, or get the citrus instead.
Can't speak for the hornindal strain, but I have used voss on multiple occasions. It is super citrusy. I love all the beers I've made with it so far. No detectable off flavors of any kind. My best beers have been made with voss. I have some hornindal that I'm going to use on my next brew. So I'll see if I get any of the off flavors I hear being described.

That sounds like an infection then. Hothead isn't hornindal and those flavors are not to be expected from that strain or its original culture.

Look it up for yourself.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Kveik

Edit- didn’t see you said hornidal is NOT the hothead yeast. Guess I could be mistaken about using hothead. I tried a couple “kveik” yeasts but it’s been long time, but I’m pretty sure it was from omega. But for Hornindal the flavor is not likely infection per this set of strain profiles. No rum, but caramel for sure.

Last edited:
Look it up for yourself.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Kveik

Edit- didn’t see you said hornidal is NOT the hothead yeast. Guess I could be mistaken about using hothead. I tried a couple “kveik” yeasts but it’s been long time, but I’m pretty sure it was from omega. But for Hornindal the flavor is not likely infection per this set of strain profiles. No rum, but caramel for sure.
It is most likely infection if you are using Hornindal from Omega. The Omega Hornindal is a yeast isolate, the caramel characteristics come from the either bacteria that are removed by Omega.

See this link:
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/329.html

It is most likely infection if you are using Hornindal from Omega. The Omega Hornindal is a yeast isolate, the caramel characteristics come from the either bacteria that are removed by Omega.

See this link:
Ah, i misunderstood. I thought you meant an infection on my end. Some bacteria from the actual kveik blend makes much more sense.

See this link:

If I recall the Omega Hornindal is several isolates not a single isolate. I have not gotten that character from it with various temps. but have only gone 3 generations.

Thats a good link.

Tonight's beer with Kveik
IMG_20190905_225337.jpeg

Anyone have any experience using hornindal for a bit brown?

Have a "witbier" in the wings and another batch of Neipa, but thinking of making a pecan nut brown ale for the fall

I don't usually get a picture that great.

Typically mine ends up blowing out into the sink frommthe open ferment, or through a blowoff tube.

That looks perfect to harvest from too!

Anyone have any experience using hornindal for a bit brown?

Have a "witbier" in the wings and another batch of Neipa, but thinking of making a pecan nut brown ale for the fall

I used hornindal in a barleywine and a tropical stout. the barleywine is very hefe-like after about 10 days. I just transferred the stout to a serving keg and have it carbing up now. It fermented it just fine and the samples tasted good enough. I'll report back on the stout after it's pouring.

Unless the phenolics change during aging, i feel like this strain might not have been the best choice for a barleywine haha.

I used hornindal in a barleywine and a tropical stout. the barleywine is very hefe-like after about 10 days. I just transferred the stout to a serving keg and have it carbing up now. It fermented it just fine and the samples tasted good enough. I'll report back on the stout after it's pouring.

Unless the phenolics change during aging, i feel like this strain might not have been the best choice for a barleywine haha.

I also used Hornindal for a pretty standard Barley Wine. It's been done fermenting for about a week now and I need to get it bottled. Will be giving it a taste test when I pull my gravity sample.

I also used Hornindal for a pretty standard Barley Wine. It's been done fermenting for about a week now and I need to get it bottled. Will be giving it a taste test when I pull my gravity sample.
Awesome! Mine is very hefe-like even though it was 98% Maris Otter with a pinch of Special B. I might just call it an imperial hefe, haha.

Mine went from 1.086 -> 1.013. It's still got a little bit of airlock activity so i'm going to let it sit age for a while before bottling. I'm hoping aging will give me more of a true barleywine flavor.

This weekend I brewed a pretty basic DIPA that had an OG of 1.074. Pitched a whole pouch of warmed up Omega Hornidal (before reading up that pitching too much can stall it later in ferm) and after 3 days it went very fast down to 1.020 today (pitched Sun around noon). I was hoping to get this to 1.010-.012, but seems to have halted. No airlock activity. I know it likely isn’t totally done, but should I be planning on a 1.018 beer? Is this typical from others’ experience? I started it at 85f and it was up to 92f at the height of fermentation. Did not use a yeast nutrient.

I know it likely isn’t totally done, but should I be planning on a 1.018 beer? Is this typical from others’ experience? I started it at 85f and it was up to 92f at the height of fermentation. Did not use a yeast nutrient.

Not sure you should go by my experience with this yeast as my brew seems to be an outlier here with off flavor, but mine continued to work slowly in kegs after being racked at 1.016 down to around 1.008. Took about two weeks at around 70F.

I've brewed 5 beers with the Hornindal and they've all finished at 1.012 or 1.013 with zero aeration and pitching maybe 2-4 ounces of slurry into each 5 gallon batch. It's definitely a unique tasting yeast. A friend told me after trying a pale I'd brewed that if he didn't know anything about the yeast and how it tastes he might say there's something wrong with the beer. It's not sour or anything, just has a very unique flavor profile.

It's not sour or anything, just has a very unique flavor profile.

I've read about Kveik yeasts resulting in a lower finished beer pH than a standard ale yeast. I wonder if this is the case with the difference in taste you are noticing using Horindal.

Also, probably dependent on the vendor of the Hornidal too, no? Omega (which is the one I used) strips out the lactic acid producing bacteria from their Hornidal strain.

Yep - there's some debate as to whether to call the lack of phenolics a feature of kveiks by definition. The recent Preiss et al paper found that the only POF+ strains they found were the one strain they tested from each of the Muri and Simonaitis multistrains, which are probably weird enough to not be classified as true kveik from a biological POV

Looks like the mystery of Muri has been solved, suregork analysed sequences from an upcoming paper by the Hittinger lab and it looks like Muri is a contaminant, closely related to WLP351 Bavarian weizen. Lars Garshol has responded : http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/408.html

This stuff is definitely fun to work with! Pitched half a teaspoon of slurry from an Omega pouch into 3 gallons of ~1.068 wort and it was already going nuts 5 hours later. Think it's still going now, with a ~1 inch krausen 72+ hours later. Temperatures have naturally dropped down to 79 today, from 90-100 for the first 2 days (without any additional heating) which may be one reason why.

Planning on a second dry-hop tomorrow before cold crashing and carbing. Haven't checked gravity yet but I suspect it's pretty close to done. Smelled amazing at peak fermentation! Looking forward to trying it, but also not so sure about rushing it along as aggressively as others have.

Edit: FG was reached in under 90 hours

Last edited:
I brewed this pale ale back in June with Hornindal. Basic grain bill, Citra boil hops and Citra/Mosaic single dry hop. I shook up the pack of yeast, and poured 10mL of slurry into the wort. It was done fermenting in three days. Did my DH on day 3, cold crashed on day 6, kegged on day 7, drinking on 10. This is nearly 3 month old and still tastes as it did then. Very nice citrus, mango flavors!

7F80ADE2-DD2E-44A3-AA9B-590C70613923.jpeg

I brewed a Citra Single Hop kit from MoreBeer Saturday morning. Changed the hop additions up a bit and decided to whirlpool with 2oz instead of 10min boil. Used 5mL of slurry that I had saved from a starter and 1/8" krausen was visible after 12 hours. I added 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient at flameout. Will be dry-hopping with 2oz of Citra in the next day or so, and then another 2oz of Citra by the end of the week.

Brewed a 10 gal NEIPA batch on Sunday. Put the batch in 2 separate Spike flex fermenters and pitched a pack of 2 month old Omega packs on each fermenter without making a starter and 12 hours later was already fermenting. 24 hours later and both are fermenting like crazy. I’m letting it free rise it’s temp and currently sitting at 84F.

I’m getting a new 10 gallon fermenter to do my double batches in instead of having to split the batch in 2 fermenters.

I see people here using only a fraction of the Omega pack to pitch. Did I overpitched by using a compete pack? Once I get the 10 gallon fermenter, could I get away by using just 1 pack for the whole batch, perhaps with a starter?

How much are others pitching for their 10 gal batches?

This weekend I brewed a pretty basic DIPA that had an OG of 1.074. Pitched a whole pouch of warmed up Omega Hornidal (before reading up that pitching too much can stall it later in ferm) and after 3 days it went very fast down to 1.020 today (pitched Sun around noon). I was hoping to get this to 1.010-.012, but seems to have halted. No airlock activity. I know it likely isn’t totally done, but should I be planning on a 1.018 beer? Is this typical from others’ experience? I started it at 85f and it was up to 92f at the height of fermentation. Did not use a yeast nutrient.
It's necessary to aerate the wort well before pitching and use nutrients. Everybody is using Hornindal for dark ales but Lida is better. I've done 1.140 OG and finished at 1.040, and my last one had 1.100 and finished at 1.017.

Last edited:
Brewed a 10 gal NEIPA batch on Sunday. Put the batch in 2 separate Spike flex fermenters and pitched a pack of 2 month old Omega packs on each fermenter without making a starter and 12 hours later was already fermenting. 24 hours later and both are fermenting like crazy. I’m letting it free rise it’s temp and currently sitting at 84F.

I’m getting a new 10 gallon fermenter to do my double batches in instead of having to split the batch in 2 fermenters.

I see people here using only a fraction of the Omega pack to pitch. Did I overpitched by using a compete pack? Once I get the 10 gallon fermenter, could I get away by using just 1 pack for the whole batch, perhaps with a starter?

How much are others pitching for their 10 gal batches?
In my Voss batches I use like 1tspoon of yeast for 5 gallons. Kveik loves to be underpitched

Brought this beer to the local HB Club....

Blew their mind that I hopped with azzaca: 1/2 oz bittering and 1/2 oz at 5 minutes. Said no way. Thought it would be an anemic pale ale at the swing top pop.

They didn't believe the hop schedule. Much less the flav.

Nobody ever heard of Kveik either.

I did this LODO/LOB with closed transfer and spunded. Half pils, half pale malt. 6 lbs each. 1/2 azzaca 60, and 5 minutes.

I'm like hell yeah muthafaekas ....
IMG_20190905_225337.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back