Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about kviek strains got me excited and I decided to brew a beer two days ago to a OG of 1.099 and it took off nicely for me. However today I noticed it has slowed considerably at 1.056 when Brewer’s Friend shows me a FG of 1.031(it has some lactose in it). I looked and the wort temp is at 67, and the temp range of hothead says 72-98. Didn’t realize my downstairs was that cold, if I raise temperature in house will it kick back in?

Talking about kviek strains got me excited and I decided to brew a beer two days ago to a OG of 1.099 and it took off nicely for me. However today I noticed it has slowed considerably at 1.056 when Brewer’s Friend shows me a FG of 1.031(it has some lactose in it). I looked and the wort temp is at 67, and the temp range of hothead says 72-98. Didn’t realize my downstairs was that cold, if I raise temperature in house will it kick back in?

Bro swirl the wort... adjust temp to 96 please!!!! Once hits target temp swirl again! 98 -100 final temp is good.

Pitched half of the OYL-057 packet at 76f and 4 hrs later it is already bubbling in my blowoff jar. I will ramp it up to about 85f and see what happens. I hope it is ready by next week(8 days).

OG was 1.065.

I just helped a friend rescue his stuck doppelbock using Imperial Loki, which I think the same or similar strain to Horindal. 1.098 to 1.050 with lager yeast, then no further. He piched Loki at ~76F and it continued to ferment down to 1.026 in about one week, with no apparent off-flavors. He was afraid to push it warmer, but the yeast seemed happy at that temperature. Neat yeast for sure!

Have Hornidal on the way. Have used Omega’s Kveik before this and was pleased. Thinking about making this my house strain for a few batches. APA, IPA and then sone funky juniper farmhouse w/brett. Curious for those brewing darker beers how the fruity esters seem. For example using this in a brown porter......seems like it could be odd.

Also anyone following diacetyl production. Seems like grain to glass in 7 days would be butter. Perhaps the higher ferm temps it just cleans up so fast or does this blend of yeast not really produce any?

Have Hornidal on the way. Have used Omega’s Kveik before this and was pleased. Thinking about making this my house strain for a few batches. APA, IPA and then sone funky juniper farmhouse w/brett. Curious for those brewing darker beers how the fruity esters seem. For example using this in a brown porter......seems like it could be odd.

Also anyone following diacetyl production. Seems like grain to glass in 7 days would be butter. Perhaps the higher ferm temps it just cleans up so fast or does this blend of yeast not really produce any?
The high temp takes care of the diacetyl problem. Most beers made with these yeasts back in their home countries are ready for consumption in like 48-72 hours. Granted they're usually still.

The high temp takes care of the diacetyl problem. Most beers made with these yeasts back in their home countries are ready for consumption in like 48-72 hours. Granted they're usually still.

Yes. And Ive heard buttery and milky as a descriptor for the flavor on these traditional beers.

Huh, I've never heard that. Heck I've made beers that I've consumed after 72 hours that were deceptively smooth. Haven't used the juniper boughs yet. The milky part surprises me with though.

It sounds like the fruity character of Kveik strains is a good match for NEIPAs. I have never brewed or tasted a NEIPA, and I am curious about the IBU/SG ratio. Isn't the bitterness of NEIPAs subdued in comparison to most other IPAs?

I'll be brewing a NEIPA using Omega Hornindal Kveik. Temp range shows 72-95. If i were to ferment above 75 i would need to add a light bulb in my ferm chamber.
Would there be any issues fermenting 72-75 or even 80?

I did try a NEIPA using this strain and it was pretty damn tasty.

I'll be brewing a NEIPA using Omega Hornindal Kveik. Temp range shows 72-95. If i were to ferment above 75 i would need to add a light bulb in my ferm chamber.
Would there be any issues fermenting 72-75 or even 80?

I did try a NEIPA using this strain and it was pretty damn tasty.
I just brewed a NEIPA with Hothead and I left my Fermwrap plugged in directly to the outlet. Temp was at 87f overnight. The samples so far seem fine. I will keg and FC tomorrow and hope to have it ready for Saturday

It sounds like the fruity character of Kveik strains is a good match for NEIPAs. I have never brewed or tasted a NEIPA, and I am curious about the IBU/SG ratio. Isn't the bitterness of NEIPAs subdued in comparison to most other IPAs?

Definitely "subdued" compared to West Coast IPAs - which were clearly engaged in global thermonuclear IBU war just before NEIPAs caught hold (which took almost 20 years to happen). I reckon 50 IBUs on paper is about the sweet spot, where my face-ripper WCIPAs were pushing 100 IBUs on paper...

Cheers!

Fined with gelatin and left it at 32*F for a couple of weeks.
Beer is crystal clear.

Not sure there’s anything wrong with this beer but it’s not my favorite. I’d not order a second pint.
It seems a bit dry and tight on the tongue.
Maybe needs more time?

I feel the same way about it, ok but doesn’t grab me.

I feel the same way about it, ok but doesn’t grab me.

I brewed a BRUT IPA with Hornindal on 29-Sep-18 and the keg kicked just a few days ago. I did an 8 oz dry hop in primary.

Strangely enough, the beer was better at the end than the beginning and never lost any color (ie oxidation) or aroma. I too felt the beer was too sharp, but it really rounded into form after 2-3 weeks in the keg.

Did my first batch of NEIPA with Hornindal yesterday. Made 1.5L starter a couple of days ago, crashed in fridge and decanted to get about 2.5oz of yeast slurry in bottom of mason jar.

Made 8gal 1.066SG wort split equally between two cornie kegs used as fermenter. Pitched one heaping TEASPOON of slurry into each keg (per Lars blog direction). Temp control at 90F. Bubbling in the blowoff bucket after 4hrs. 22hrs after yeast pitch - both at 1.013SG....mind blown... Samples have STRONG citrus aroma - orange/lime. Will let it go for another day, crash a day then add dry hop.

Timeline:
2 days ferment
1 day crash to 54
1 day dryhop 54 - transfer serving keg
2 days chill 38 - force carb

So - 6 days grain to glass...whoa

Sorry for the details but with a new yeast I think it's worth to share.

I partigyled a first runnings RIS (75% pale ale, 15% brown, 10% black) and added a portion of it post-boil to the second runnings to account for 25% of total sugars to give body, help to lower astringency perhaps. OG of RIS was ~1.115 and second wort ~1.028 - note I don't trust these with my refractometer. I split the mixed wort into two carboys and pitched ~8L (2 gallons) with 30mL (1 oz) of revitalized OYL Hornindal (2nd gen, ~100mL yeast sediment of bottom crop, revitalized morning of brewday with 250mL starter wort) to ferment at 80-90F and another 8L with 1056 to ferment at 62-64F ambient, for comparison. The 4L (1 gallon) RIS was pitched with 15mL (1/2oz) of the same kveik at 80-90F. I dried the rest of the Hornindal starter and saved 1 gram portions of flakes in the freezer for future batches.

Each fermented quickly and the two low-gravity worts finished about the same time. Hornindal producing a very tight but thick top-crop krausen (like Wy1469) compared to the more foamy 1056. I suspect I "over" pitched the 1056. In any event, while I suspect I smelled a little of the orangey/citrusy aromas from Hornindal during fermentation, it did not stand out "WOW" and a gravity sample of the lower gravity beer (hydrometer this time) did not yield any such character in flavor or aroma. I'll update with the RIS later tonight, where the krausen has already fallen into the beer by Day 4.

The second runnings were a little astringent probably boosted by the dark grain amounts, but I suspect it will be what it is, a roasty stout. At this point under these conditions, I'd say the toast/roast overwhelm yeast character of the kveik. I have no way of knowing how much I pitched but I will say that it does settle hard to the bottom even though I can't say I saw it flocculate in suspension, as say Wy1968 has for me in the past.

Did my first batch of NEIPA with Hornindal yesterday. Made 1.5L starter a couple of days ago, crashed in fridge and decanted to get about 2.5oz of yeast slurry in bottom of mason jar.

Made 8gal 1.066SG wort split equally between two cornie kegs used as fermenter. Pitched one heaping TEASPOON of slurry into each keg (per Lars blog direction). Temp control at 90F. Bubbling in the blowoff bucket after 4hrs. 22hrs after yeast pitch - both at 1.013SG....mind blown... Samples have STRONG citrus aroma - orange/lime. Will let it go for another day, crash a day then add dry hop.

Timeline:
2 days ferment
1 day crash to 54

Report back - just transferred to serving keg. Not as impressed at this point, but still holding final judgment. 4gal batch with 8oz of galaxy dryhop, yes eight....It is good but not as good as when I use Barbarian or 1272 yeast w/ same recipe. (1oz/ gal whirlpool & 2oz/gal dryhop - Natural carbed & low O2 transfer)

The counter argument is that I am four days post brew - it will be “drinkable” tomorrow... 5 days after brew day. I am saving final judgment for 10-14 more days as this will be comparable the conditioning of I do for 1272 or Barbarian to hit its prime. If it doesnt work out I will continue to keep this yeast on hand for brews that need a quick turn around.

There was a comment earlier about fears of under-carbonation when bottling. Fear not.

I bottled about 30 cases, put it in a closet with a space heater set for 80°F and two weeks later I've got perfectly carbed bottles. This was using beer that had sat in the carboy/bucket for three weeks before bottling.

Solid yeast cake but still plenty of yeast in suspension to carb the bottles.

There was a comment earlier about fears of under-carbonation when bottling. Fear not.

I bottled about 30 cases, put it in a closet with a space heater set for 80°F and two weeks later I've got perfectly carbed bottles. This was using beer that had sat in the carboy/bucket for three weeks before bottling.

Solid yeast cake but still plenty of yeast in suspension to carb the bottles.

Not doubting you, but will add that I cold crashed and oxygenated the wort (known to increase flocculation after fermentation). I’m sure there were some yeast in solution, but they wouldn’t eat any of the honey I added in secondary, had to add some yeast back in.

Not doubting you, but will add that I cold crashed and oxygenated the wort (known to increase flocculation after fermentation). I’m sure there were some yeast in solution, but they wouldn’t eat any of the honey I added in secondary, had to add some yeast back in.
I did not cold crash, but I did oxygenate the wort.

OG was about 1.051 and FG was about 1.006 (slight variations between the 4 batches). I also carbed with corn sugar, not honey.

Samples have STRONG citrus aroma - orange/lime.

is it more of an orange flavor with hints of lime? equal? generic citrus?

im planning a citrus beer with hornidal. my intention was to get the orange from the yeast, with a bit of amarillo for boosting it up, then compliment with some lemon drop and some pacifica for lime. but if you've already gotten some lime from the yeast, maybe i can skip the pacifica for something else? i'd like a touch of lime, but i dont want this to taste like you squirted lime in your beer.....

Timeline:
2 days ferment
1 day crash to 54

Holy ****! That’s insane! How does it taste?! Any off flavors at all?

Holy poopy! That’s insane! How does it taste?! Any off flavors at all?

No off flavors at all.

I still consider it "conditioning" at this point but I will share thoughts now eight days post brew.
  • Mouthfeel - hands down the "fullest" mouthfeel of any yeast (007, US04, 1318, Conan, 1272, WLP644) I have tried with exact same grain bill & mash temp (85% GP, 10% Oats, 2.5% Carafoam & Honey Malt @154F). I suspect this yeast has a high level of glycerol production
  • Aroma - subdued esters. Present but not as pronounced as others 644>1318>Conan>1272> Hornindal. Definitely compliments the style. My preference is still Conan & 1272
  • Flavor - still too early in my opinion but will report anyway - flavor is very nice. Not overpowering given the hopping rate (2oz/gal) but I suspect this is more related to the fact that I dryhopped on day 2 after FG and introduced some oxygen.

No off flavors at all.

I still consider it "conditioning" at this point but I will share thoughts now eight days post brew.
  • Mouthfeel - hands down the "fullest" mouthfeel of any yeast (007, US04, 1318, Conan, 1272, WLP644) I have tried with exact same grain bill & mash temp (85% GP, 10% Oats, 2.5% Carafoam & Honey Malt @154F). I suspect this yeast has a high level of glycerol production
  • Aroma - subdued esters. Present but not as pronounced as others 644>1318>Conan>1272> Hornindal. Definitely compliments the style. My preference is still Conan & 1272
  • Flavor - still too early in my opinion but will report anyway - flavor is very nice. Not overpowering given the hopping rate (2oz/gal) but I suspect this is more related to the fact that I dryhopped on day 2 after FG and introduced some oxygen.
Haha didn’t mean poopy but i guess it fits... i meant Moly... but Nice! Glad to hear, I just snagged the Jovahru Farmhouse Yeast from Omega, can’t wait to try it out, I think I’m going to use it for my first Sour which is going to be a Bam Biere clone.

But I was thinking of dry hopping, and read somewhere to only do it 10 days before bottling, but feel like I’ve seen recipes that dry hop multiple times the entire life. How long will you let those dry hops stay? Until the end?

@ttuato

Did you do any mineral additions or know your Cl, SO4 and Ca numbers?

Same profile for all my NEIPA - 2:1 Cl:SO4

SPLIT: 8gal batch - 10.5gal RO water BIAB
8.4g CaCl2, 8.4g MgSO4, 2.1g NaCl, 3ml Lactic Acid,

SINGLE: 6gal - 8gal RO water BIAB
5.8g CaCl2, 5.8g MgSO4, 1.5g NaCl, 2ml Lactic Acid,

Bru'n Water
CA 76
MG 21
NA 21
S04 82
Cl 167
pH 5.32

One variable I have never experimented with. I just trust everyone else on this stuff and focus on hops or yeast experiments when brewing.

Haha didn’t mean poopy but i guess it fits... i meant Moly... but Nice! Glad to hear, I just snagged the Jovahru Farmhouse Yeast from Omega, can’t wait to try it out, I think I’m going to use it for my first Sour which is going to be a Bam Biere clone.

But I was thinking of dry hopping, and read somewhere to only do it 10 days before bottling, but feel like I’ve seen recipes that dry hop multiple times the entire life. How long will you let those dry hops stay? Until the end?

I am not the expert on sours. I have only ever made one and did not dryhop. I would defer to The Mad Fermentationist as he is the king of sours.

Having said that all the research I have read is that maximum extraction of oil from dryhops occurs in less than 24hr at 72F. Anything longer extracts unwanted stuff (HBT has naysayers but science & sensory research say otherwise). Once I learned that I switched to dry hopping no longer that 36hours then crash/transfer or just transfer to serving keg. Challenge for bottlers is that dry hopping introduces additional fermentables that can cause bottle bombs - so again, I would defer to the experts on how to dry hop when bottling...

I recant my previous doubts - this yeast is a winner. 10 days post brew day - it is really effing good beer. Like a noob I was impatient. 5 days brew/ferment/dryhop/carb plus 5 days condition so that grain to glass 10 days is “blowing my mind”.

When I use 1272 or Barbarian the above formula comes out to 20days, so Hornindal lets me enjoy my NEIPA 10days sooner

Had a brut IPA yesterday made with Hornindal and it was everything I hoped and more. The orange esters highlighted the hop profile and added a perceived sweetness to an otherwise super dry beer. I only make one IPA a year and next year I'll do it Brut with Hornindal.

When I read the description for that strain Bam Biere is exactly what i thought. Should be good.
Another beer I want to brew. Oh my......

I used an original kveik from Norway, and that one took more than six months to carbonate. So some of them are really just sticking to the bottle.

I got some voss kveik in my fridge. I will brew a session apa with it, about 4%abv.

I intend to not make a starter and instead use only half of the vile and pitch directly. I read that this is the way how kveik type of yeasts should be used, basically one teaspoon slurry on 25 liters.

Wish me luck.

Had a brut IPA yesterday made with Hornindal and it was everything I hoped and more. The orange esters highlighted the hop profile and added a perceived sweetness to an otherwise super dry beer. I only make one IPA a year and next year I'll do it Brut with Hornindal.
One of yours or a commercial brewery? Any idea on the hops used?

RIS went from 1.115 to 1.040 for 9.5%abv, this being day 20. Life got in the way but I assume this beer was near terminal gravity well within 10 days with an underpitch at 80-90F. Nothing harsh, just the roast and toast that 25% brown/black brings. No indication of orange/tropical esters. I have not perceived those with this yeast in two batches, so I'd consider this pretty clean/neutral. I'm either missing something or have a numb palate. I may try reviving the dried flakes to add at bottling to help carbonation.

Back