Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I picked this yeast up in the spring and finally got around to brewing with it. I had a double brew session in which I brewed my Allgash-influenced Wit with my Belgian strain and then a Hoppy Session Pale with azacca, equinox & southern cross.

Super hot brew day and I was over it by the end of my second brew - put the pale ale in my SS Brewbucket at about 130 and let it chill in the basement for a couple hours. Pitched the Hornindal Kveik at I'd say 100-110 (didn't even take a temp reading but wanted to see what the yeast would do at a higher temp). Took off quickly and just chugged along for about 3-4 days.

Kegged the beer today and it brought it down to 1.008 - no off flavors at all and some great citrus notes (could be azacca influenced as well).

This yeast goes against everything I've experienced in my 15 or so years brewing. I'm fairly excited about this yeast b/c it brings another dimension to Summer brewing outside of Belgian influenced ales. I like to brew with the seasons rather than using temp control and this yeast seems to be it for those dog days of summer and brewing clean beers.

That's good to hear. When I was storing the Omega pack in my fridge the pouch was expanding all the way - this yeast just wants to ferment stuff, doesn't matter what temp.

Last edited:
I've sampled a beer made with Hornindal and have to admit that it was a fine beer. No hot alcohols or off flavor. However, it does contribute a nice fruity ester profile to the beer. If that fits within your style, I beleive that this kviek yeasts will significantly aid the brewing community.

I recently brewed a NEIPA using the Hornindal and it turned out great. Pitched at 84F and threw my brew belt on to get the fermentation up well over 90F. No fusels or off flavors, just some nice tropical and citrus esters that compliment the hops (even a hint of vanilla in the finish?).

Excuse the crappy cellphone pic, but here it is:
20180802_210504.jpg

1120 to 1030 for 12% on a chocolate cinnamon imp stout with voss strain.
Same experience... It was done in 3 days pitched @40c.
Tho the most shocking recipe was a cool fermented "rauchbier" with voss. Took 2 weeks but the yeast worked @15c !

I have been brewing many of my ales with the voss strain this year. From neipa to stouts. The results have been amazing. Started doing ciders with it too. I keep the temps lower on the ciders and it lends what tastes to be a sweeter flavor profile.

What flavors are you guys looking for in other ales besides ipa & pale with this strain? or are you just happy to brew in summer without off flavors? I'd like to try the yeast ion a couple other styles. I read someone was doing lager-like beers at lower temps...

I'm wondering what flavors you might be get at lower temps like 65-68 - thinking of doing an oktober-ale.

All of the Kveik strains are mindblowing.
I recently pitched a 1.095 RIS at 30c with a mix of Voss and Ebbegarden. Done in 4 days, dropped clear as a bell and not a hint of alcohol on the nose.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Home Brew mobile app
where did you get the ebbegarden from?

I recently brewed a NEIPA using the Hornindal and it turned out great. Pitched at 84F and threw my brew belt on to get the fermentation up well over 90F. No fusels or off flavors, just some nice tropical and citrus esters that compliment the hops (even a hint of vanilla in the finish?).

Excuse the crappy cellphone pic, but here it is:
View attachment 582774
Awesome! How does this strain compare to a more "traditional" NEIPA yeast (ex:1318). Seems like you can brew any style with the Kveik. (someone phonetically spell Kveik for me :D)

Can I ask why ferment at such high temps? Is it simply because it can be done or is there a different reason? Is this only a small yeast company or do they typical big yeast companies have their own versions?

Pronunciation - see either the bottom of here or Soundcloud. Actually it's only called kveik in southern Norway, and most of them come from parts of Norway where they're known as gjaer or gjest(er), but kveik is the name that's stuck.

If you want clean, then Hothead (Stranda) is probably your best bet.

Manical and Escarpment are probably your best bet for the weird ones, but being small companies it's a question of what they've got grown up at any one time. Omega offers Stranda (branded as Hothead), Voss and Hornindal, Yeast Bay has Voss. Certainly here in the UK it's a matter of luck if you can find any of them in stock, these aren't being produced in WLP001-type volumes.

They seem to genuinely prefer being fermented hot, but being able to ferment without temp control is obviously a big attraction.

There can be no mention of kveik without Lars Garshol's blog - he has done much of the legwork in bringing Norwegian (and more generally Baltic/Nordic) farm brewing to the wider world.

Can I ask why ferment at such high temps? Is it simply because it can be done or is there a different reason? Is this only a small yeast company or do they typical big yeast companies have their own versions?

I would guess that the yeasts developed and mutated to be pitched at higher temps and were selected over generations and generations (of people not yeast pitches). Pitching and fermenting at higher temps is probably more just a bi-product of a simple process done at Farmhouses in Norway. There's no fermentation control, glycol, wort chillers, etc. These are real farmhouse yeasts going back a long time - read more here:

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

I've just started using the Voss strain from Omega. I pitched at about 70 degrees and had the bucket in my kitchen (mid 70's) and made no attempt to control or even monitor the temperature. It was finished and starting to drop clear in 2 days. Transferred to a carboy and gave it another week then bottled it. I wish I had filled one bottle at 2 days to see what happened. Very clean; not really any yeast character that I can tell. I rinsed out the carboy with some apple juice and that took off in about an hour. It's ready to bottle but I haven't gotten around to it yet. (maybe tonight)

My next beer will be an IPA modeled after Bell's Two Hearted. I have some Bell's yeast, but I'm going to use the VK again, and maybe put a controller on it and ferment it at 90° so it will go even faster and maybe give some citrusy fruit esters.

I'm wondering what flavors you might be get at lower temps like 65-68 - thinking of doing an oktober-ale.

I did a black IPA with voss yeast and held the temps in that range. Fermented out rather quick and very clean. Would use it for any style you want clean high attenuating yeast.

Awesome! How does this strain compare to a more "traditional" NEIPA yeast (ex:1318). Seems like you can brew any style with the Kveik. (someone phonetically spell Kveik for me :D)

I've used all the 'traditional' NEIPA strains and the Hornindal gave me similar mouthfeel and attenuation with more tropical/fruity esters. The high temperature tolerance makes it way more forgiving/easier to use which moves it to 1st place for me!

I've used all the 'traditional' NEIPA strains and the Hornindal gave me similar mouthfeel and attenuation with more tropical/fruity esters. The high temperature tolerance makes it way more forgiving/easier to use which moves it to 1st place for me!

Great to hear. Definitely want to try it. Omega’s site say that the C hops work well with this strain. What hops have you been using?

Great to hear. Definitely want to try it. Omega’s site say that the C hops work well with this strain. What hops have you been using?

My last batch I did a small 10 min Columbus addition and everything in the whirlpool and fermentation hops were Galaxy and Citra and then I keg hopped with Citra cryo...turned out great.

My last batch I did a small 10 min Columbus addition and everything in the whirlpool and fermentation hops were Galaxy and Citra and then I keg hopped with Citra cryo...turned out great.
when did you put your first charge of dry hops? I brewed a hazy on sunday with azacca citra eldorado, with hornindal, pitched at 90 keeping it at 95, I guessed and put first dry hop 15 hours in, hoping that wasn't too late

when did you put your first charge of dry hops? I brewed a hazy on sunday with azacca citra eldorado, with hornindal, pitched at 90 keeping it at 95, I guessed and put first dry hop 15 hours in, hoping that wasn't too late

I usually do mine 24 hours after the first signs of active fermentation.

I'm planning something like Bell's Two Hearted but using Voss kveik yeast, and Dr Rudi and Cascade hops instead of Centennial. (I don't have any Centennial) I think I've mentioned this already. I've never done dry hops before. I've never done any beer with more that 2 ounces of hops before, even really bitter ones.

When should I add the Cascade dry hops, since kveik ferments so fast? I'm guessing as soon as the krausen falls, 2 or 3 days, and then give it another week to finish; does that sound about right? This is not a NE style, it's more old-school American IPA, about 6.8 to 7% ABV and 50 IBU.

Thinking about using this yeast with a NEIPA grain bill and hop schedule, but am thinking just using Galaxy and Columbus. Shooting for tropical and dank. 6oz whirlpool (4oz Galaxy/2oz Columbus); 6oz dry hop (4oz Galaxy/2oz Columbus). What you do guys think?

Thinking about using this yeast with a NEIPA grain bill and hop schedule, but am thinking just using Galaxy and Columbus. Shooting for tropical and dank. 6oz whirlpool (4oz Galaxy/2oz Columbus); 6oz dry hop (4oz Galaxy/2oz Columbus). What you do guys think?
Bump!

Go for it, I'm actually drinking the beer that I brewed with it now and it really does accent citrusy hops, so I think it would work well with Columbus and Galaxy is just a powerful hop and could take care of that tropical you are looking for.

The Azacca/Southern Cross seems to be coming through more than Equinox on this beer. Which is serious citrus/orange.

I'm intrigued. Nobody around here carries the Omega yeasts so I'd have to order it. Seems like the Voss would be a great yeast to have on hand when you suddenly realize you need a beer ready to tap in less than 7 days grain to glass.

To those that have used the Voss; how does it do in further generations? How many generations have you taken it to?

1120 to 1030 for 12% on a chocolate cinnamon imp stout with voss strain.
Same experience... It was done in 3 days pitched @40c.
Tho the most shocking recipe was a cool fermented "rauchbier" with voss. Took 2 weeks but the yeast worked @15c !
What kind of rauchbier did you make with Voss?

What kind of rauchbier did you make with Voss?
Recipe: smoked lager - good **** !
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Rauchbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (38,0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14,72 L
Post Boil Volume: 11,72 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 10,00 L
Bottling Volume: 9,00 L
Estimated OG: 1,053 SG
Estimated Color: 28,9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29,9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73,1 %
Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
16,50 L IFA Eliges 8L - Gadis Water 1 - -
4,50 ml Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
2,50 ml Lactic Acid (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
0,50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
1,00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3,3 EBC) Grain 5 37,7 % 0,65 L
1,00 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3,9 EBC) Grain 6 37,7 % 0,65 L
0,35 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14,0 EBC) Grain 7 13,2 % 0,23 L
0,11 kg (fr) CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY® (50,0 EBC) Grain 8 4,2 % 0,07 L
0,09 kg (fr) CHÂTEAU CRYSTAL® (150,1 EBC) Grain 9 3,4 % 0,06 L
0,07 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59,1 EBC) Grain 10 2,6 % 0,05 L
0,03 kg (fr) CHÂTEAU ROASTED BARLEY (1300,0 EBC) Grain 11 1,1 % 0,02 L
26,00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3,70 %] - First Wort 45 Hop 12 27,7 IBUs -
10,00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3,70 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 13 2,2 IBUs -
1,0 pkg SIGMUND'S VOSS KVEIK (Yeast Bay #) Yeast 14 - -

Mash Schedule: 03 - full body 69,5° - 60 min

Not sure what you mean with the "kind" but the recipe was the one of BCS if I remember correctly and honestly it was pretty damn good but it defeat the purpose of this yeast, overpitched Voss(1L starter for 10L which is huge for a kveik) at 13c and ramped up to 18c at the end of the 10days. You could tell the yeast was not very happy as it produced sulfur during the beginning of the fermentation which was then gone at the end.

The flavor were very balanced(I was afraid of using that much c-malt) and the smoke subtle, the finish was semi dry due to my high temp (dont know what I was thinking).

If I were to do it again I would just swap the pilsner for smoked malt, mash lower and over pitch warm to negate(or not) some of the esters (as it seems it is function of pitching rate/temp/aeration? and its questionable as the christmassy/orangey esters of Voss could go well with the smoke/bready/low caramel of the recipe for a winter beer)

But I was amazed that the Voss strain survived at this low temp, this yeast is a real beast.
I'm intrigued. Nobody around here carries the Omega yeasts so I'd have to order it. Seems like the Voss would be a great yeast to have on hand when you suddenly realize you need a beer ready to tap in less than 7 days grain to glass.

To those that have used the Voss; how does it do in further generations? How many generations have you taken it to?

6thgen or so with Voss and 5gen with the Framgarden strain.

Honestly I can't tell the difference with the first time I received it from TYB, still having what would I describe as warm orangey/christmassy aroma. No change in attenuation. still floc like champion and make quick and stupid easy beer.

Last edited:
I will be boiling a kettle sour here shortly and will be pitching OYL's Hornindal strain to ferment it out. I'll be harvesting the yeast before adding my fruit additions to keep the strain as clean as possible.

Not that I use it very often, but has anyone fermented a beer with lactose yet? Wondering how kviek responds to it.

I will be boiling a kettle sour here shortly and will be pitching OYL's Hornindal strain to ferment it out. I'll be harvesting the yeast before adding my fruit additions to keep the strain as clean as possible.

Not that I use it very often, but has anyone fermented a beer with lactose yet? Wondering how kviek responds to it.

You wont have any problem with OYL Hornindal as it is an isolate sach strain afaik, as I didnt have any problem with Voss from the TYB as well.
But some other strain I swapped through forums could ferment lactose as they contain others bacteria(most frequently lacto as the hornindal/ebbegarden strain I have)

Recipe: smoked lager - good poopy !
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Rauchbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (38,0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14,72 L
Post Boil Volume: 11,72 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 10,00 L
Bottling Volume: 9,00 L
Estimated OG: 1,053 SG
Estimated Color: 28,9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29,9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73,1 %
Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
16,50 L IFA Eliges 8L - Gadis Water 1 - -
4,50 ml Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
2,50 ml Lactic Acid (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
0,50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
1,00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3,3 EBC) Grain 5 37,7 % 0,65 L
1,00 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3,9 EBC) Grain 6 37,7 % 0,65 L
0,35 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14,0 EBC) Grain 7 13,2 % 0,23 L
0,11 kg (fr) CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY[emoji768] (50,0 EBC) Grain 8 4,2 % 0,07 L
0,09 kg (fr) CHÂTEAU CRYSTAL[emoji768] (150,1 EBC) Grain 9 3,4 % 0,06 L
0,07 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59,1 EBC) Grain 10 2,6 % 0,05 L
0,03 kg (fr) CHÂTEAU ROASTED BARLEY (1300,0 EBC) Grain 11 1,1 % 0,02 L
26,00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3,70 %] - First Wort 45 Hop 12 27,7 IBUs -
10,00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3,70 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 13 2,2 IBUs -
1,0 pkg SIGMUND'S VOSS KVEIK (Yeast Bay #) Yeast 14 - -

Mash Schedule: 03 - full body 69,5° - 60 min

Not sure what you mean with the "kind" but the recipe was the one of BCS if I remember correctly and honestly it was pretty damn good but it defeat the purpose of this yeast, overpitched Voss(1L starter for 10L which is huge for a kveik) at 13c and ramped up to 18c at the end of the 10days. You could tell the yeast was not very happy as it produced sulfur during the beginning of the fermentation which was then gone at the end.

The flavor were very balanced(I was afraid of using that much c-malt) and the smoke subtle, the finish was semi dry due to my high temp (dont know what I was thinking).

If I were to do it again I would just swap the pilsner for smoked malt, mash lower and over pitch warm to negate(or not) some of the esters (as it seems it is function of pitching rate/temp/aeration? and its questionable as the christmassy/orangey esters of Voss could go well with the smoke/bready/low caramel of the recipe for a winter beer)

But I was amazed that the Voss strain survived at this low temp, this yeast is a real beast.

I was curious. I'm a smoked beer geek. Hence my HBT handle.

https://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html

As for varieties I think it can be any beer style. I think officially that there is a classic rauchbier and other rauchbier. Classic is typically the Bamberg Marzen. See the link for the Schlenkerla beer list.

https://www.schlenkerla.de/rauchbier/sorten/sortene.html

In theory all beers were once smoked until the advent of the use of coal in malting grain along with modernization of malting ovens. Straw being the primary and other regional hardwoods before coal came along. Then came the invention of black malt roaster that further eliminated the need for large amounts of highly kilned base malts like amber and brown malt, thus further reducing the amount of smoke in beers.

Your use of smoked malt in a Nordic farmhouse beer is quite appropriate. Going 100% rauch malt is more traditional than you might think. The malting process with a wood fire often resulted in mix of darker roasted grains; toasted, roasted, amber, brown and all the way to black. Heat sources were not all that uniform and grains needed to turned. The heat source wasn't indirect either.

Ironically the once undesirable roasted malts like brown malt and amber malts are becoming popular again. I'm making them, the old way with smoke starting with pale malt and a wood smoker.

I have 100% rauch malt Bamberg Marzen going/fermenting now. Two other batches of grain made; one with smoked pistachio shells and the other with smoked peanut shells. Plan to make a reds with them.

Has anyone else done a wheat beer with Hornindal? Got 18 gallons that went into the fermenter today. Room temp is around 72, using the heat dish on low to get it a little higher.
IMG_20181006_155206380.jpeg

Back