Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home on a stormy day sourdough.

image.jpg

Well, I do a fair bit of baking for my family, but am not much of a picture guy. Today I made the sandwich loaves for the week. While pretty looking artisan breads impress my friends, my kids like the soft crust for their lunches.

My wife made the gluten free cookies, cuz she's glutarded.

IMG_0032.jpg

Those bagels look tasty. I think I might have to make some this weekend.

This thread is one of the places I look to for inspiration when I need motivation to bake something.

Is a Dutch oven a real thing? I just thought it was when you fart in bed and pull the covers over your partner's head.

Yes, a dutch oven is a heavy pot, typically 6 or 8 quarts, with a well fitted lid and two small handles and can be used in the oven as a casserole as well as on the stove top.

Cheese Bread
Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil or butter
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk or soy milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups tapioca flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 beaten eggs
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Pour olive oil, water, milk, and salt into a large saucepan, and place over high heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat immediately, and stir in tapioca flour and garlic until smooth.Set aside to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Stir the cheese and egg into the tapioca mixture until well combined, the mixture will be chunky like cottage cheese. Drop rounded, 1/4 cup-sized balls of the mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheese Bread
Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil or butter
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk or soy milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups tapioca flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 beaten eggs
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Pour olive oil, water, milk, and salt into a large saucepan, and place over high heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat immediately, and stir in tapioca flour and garlic until smooth.Set aside to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Stir the cheese and egg into the tapioca mixture until well combined, the mixture will be chunky like cottage cheese. Drop rounded, 1/4 cup-sized balls of the mixture onto an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.

images.jpg

^^ the post above got caught in one of our spam filters since 1) new member and 2) link, and 3) crossposted in multiple forums. But it looks really good! Hope the member is legit and sticks around.

Which one got flagged as spam? The one talking about his 9 inch "loaf"?

Hey all!

New to this section of the forum and bread making. I've read through the last dozen or so pages and really want to get started making my own bread! What I am after is a french bread that I grew up eating...very hard, thick crust and a soft, pillow-y inside that seemed to have more moisture than most other breads I've had (picture below). To start, I have made a sourdough starter and am on day 2. I will continue to read through this thread but wanted to post this to see if anyone makes the same style of bread and could point me in the right direction to get started!

Link to bakery just in case anyone was curious.

http://www.costeaux.com/bakery-cafe/costeaux-artisan-breads/

costeaux.jpg

Take a look at thefreshloaf.com. Great place to start and to find those kind of breads recipes.

Hey all!

New to this section of the forum and bread making. I've read through the last dozen or so pages and really want to get started making my own bread! What I am after is a french bread that I grew up eating...very hard, thick crust and a soft, pillow-y inside that seemed to have more moisture than most other breads I've had (picture below). To start, I have made a sourdough starter and am on day 2. I will continue to read through this thread but wanted to post this to see if anyone makes the same style of bread and could point me in the right direction to get started!

Link to bakery just in case anyone was curious.

http://www.costeaux.com/bakery-cafe/costeaux-artisan-breads/

j2Q6moH.jpg

Breakfast Egg Boat recipe
INGREDIENTS
1 loaf French bread
8 slices bacon
3 red bell peppers, finely chopped
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Cook bacon in a skillet. Once crispy, remove from oven and set aside.
3) Add chopped peppers to skillet and cook for 5 minutes, or until lightly softened.
4) In a bowl, combine cooked peppers and beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Stir.
5) Cut the top off the French loaf and hollow out the inside. Be careful not too remove too much of the inside, as you do still want it to be sturdy.
6) Layer cooked bacon on the bottom, cover with egg mixture and top with cheddar cheese.
7) Bake for 25 minutes, or until bread is golden and eggs are cooked through. Serve and enjoy!
Video recipe
https://youtu.be/dEQ5r9tUUVE

Back