Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up following these instructions: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

I only made half of the recipe (1 loaf).

I used King Arthur white bread flour (~82% as indicated in the recipe), the balance is Prairie Gold white whole wheat flour.

The starter is 100% white whole wheat.

I used a Pyrex bowl with a fairly round shape for all ferments/rising periods. During the overnight ferment I lined the bowl with a flour dusted cloth.

Yes. I placed a casserole in the oven with hot water in it (hot going in prior to the preheat) on the rack below the bread and sprayed the oven walls with water right after putting the bread into the oven.

Baked at 450°F until the crumb measured ~195°F (about 25 or 30 minutes) on an inverted baking sheet with parchment. I don't have a suitable dutch oven to use for this but it is on my list of things to buy.

As far as steaming, are you putting a "cold" casserole with hot water in with the dough? I keep a small cast iron pan in the bottom and add a cup+ - of boiling water with the loaf.

Also slash that loaf like you want to hurt it, your slash marks are very light.:mug:

Today's ugly but otherwise really good loaf. Nice crust and texture, flavor is good, and fairly open crumb.

image.jpeg

Try making a 100% KA Bread Flour loaf and see how it turns out. I find that even a small sub of whole wheat, even white whole wheat, has a negative impact on the crumb structure.

How new is your culture? Mine couldn't raise a loaf decently until it had been fed twice a day for about 3 weeks. Also i think most of the instructions i've seen call for switching to regular flour in your main starter once it's established. I feed mine KA AP because its cheaper than KA Bread here. When it's time to make a loaf i'll take a small chunk of the main starter and mix it in with whatever my other flours are and go from there.

Ok, I will try an all white flour loaf next. The culture is about 8 months old. I keep it in the refridgerator and take it out weekly for a day to feed it. I make bread using the portion removed from the starter. For this loaf I fed the removed portion twice daily for two days prior to making bread.

As far as steaming, are you putting a "cold" casserole with hot water in with the dough? I keep a small cast iron pan in the bottom and add a cup+ - of boiling water with the loaf.

Also slash that loaf like you want to hurt it, your slash marks are very light.:mug:

I filled the casserole dish with hot water and put it in the oven when I turned it on and left in during the preheat and baking time.

Ok, deeper slashes. I will do that. I tend to worry the loaf will fall if I over do the slashes.

Matt what is your recipe ? Those look great. New England style is definitely the way to go with hot dog buns.

Sorry...hadn't been on in awhile...life has been hectic and haven't brewed in a long time. Spending less time forum hopping and writing, but I did look up the recipe I used and I'm including a link to it. They were good...definitely worth it. I haven't done them since, but will when I have time again!

traceysculinaryadventures.com/2013/07/homemade-hot-dog-buns.html

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1487043741.353878.jpg

Week long sourdough. Started with an overnight sponge, then mixed the dough and let it cold ferment for a week. This morning I got it out, rolled it up and let it proof in a pan all day.

It baked for an hour, so it's got a thick crust but still very spongy inside.

I wish I could remember exactly what I put in it!

@ericbw how tangy is it after a week?

It was pretty tangy, but not overpowering. It wasn't like it was 3 times as tangy as if it was a 2 day loaf. I think there have been some that are the same at 18-24 hours that were about the same. But the texture was different with this one - more spongey. And even though I baked it almost an hour, it still only got to 196 degrees internal, when I usually shoot for 200-205. It was getting too dark on the outside.

It was far from perfect. I added a bit too much flour, messed up the calculations on the salt so it didn't really have enough, a few other things. It didn't turn out bad, but I know it can be better.

I let it go in the refrigerator for about 20 hours, then let it come to room temp & let it rise for an hour or so. Hot oven, pizza stone, water pan inside, then turned the oven down when the bread went it. The starter I got isn't San Francisco sourdough, so this has some tang but not the same as what you might expect. I like it better! I will try another loaf when it cools off again (70s in my area for the next 7-10 days!)

Because a pre-heated oven heats up the house too much for my liking, and I won't bake bread in the toaster oven.

;)

Who has a good recommendation for pot holders that can handle high heat (500+F)? I've melted several different kinds baking bread. Looking at the OXO Silicone Oven Mitt, but wondering what others use.

Who has a good recommendation for pot holders that can handle high heat (500+F)? I've melted several different kinds baking bread. Looking at the OXO Silicone Oven Mitt, but wondering what others use.

Being a mechanic I already have asbestos hands and I move quickly, I just use the standards.

I have a silicone glove and several Ove Gloves that I picked up at yard sales. I've even been know to grab my silicone steamer basket on occasion...

Typically I use kitchen towels and have a couple silicone pot holders that I also use at times.

Has anyone tried dumping the bottom bit of a homebrew into their starter/bread?
Part of me wants to try it to see what sort of flavor the yeast could give, but the sane, non-buzzed part of me is saying that's a stupid idea.

Made some dough tonight, replaced the water with Irish Stout homebrew
(from a bottle, not the fermenter dregs!).
Will bake later tonight when it's 16 degrees out.

I made my own sourdough starter, first one didn't take, now I have 3 just in case.
I like 1/2 cup whole wheat,
2 1/2 cups all purpose,
2 tsp salt,
1 cup water,
1 cup "mother" or sourdough starter.
Bake in corning ware pot lined with parchment paper,
450 deg 30 min, then remove lid for 20 min.
Or thereabouts, recipe doesn't seem to be critical, changes often.
Oh yeah, add a splash of H2O for altitude.

Sorry don't sign on much, will check more often...

Found some inexpensive welding gloves on sale, they never got to the garage.
They're not the greatest but keep me from gettin burned if I move quick enough.
Also not a problem if you touch the inside of the oven accidentally.
Never did like hotpads...

Hello everyone. Let me preface this by saying I have never made a homemade bread in my life but I can certainly follow a recipe. I would like to attempt to make soft pretzels/sticks with spent grain. Would someone be so kind as to post a nice easy to follow recipe for my first attempt or at least point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Iceman

Hello everyone. Let me preface this by saying I have never made a homemade bread in my life but I can certainly follow a recipe. I would like to attempt to make soft pretzels/sticks with spent grain. Would someone be so kind as to post a nice easy to follow recipe for my first attempt or at least point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Iceman

Are you the same iceman from the pizza thread? So, I use spent grains to bake bread and if you use them while wet adjust your water downward about a Tbs per half cup... As long as you are the pizza man you know how dough should feel and behave. I think 1/2 or 1 cup is a good place to start adding to a recipie depending how grainy you would like it. Hope that helps to get you started. Feel free to show us what you've done. :mug:

Iceman

To add spent grain to a recipe, I start with the basic recipe, then add about 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of spent grain while kneading.

Dough:
3 cups flour
1 packet yeast
1 cup warm water
1 TB sugar
1.5 tsp salt (or a little more)

Boil:
3 quarts water
1/4 cup baking soda
1-2 TB malt syrup or DME

Dissolve sugar in the cup of warm water and sprinkle yeast on top to bloom (wait 5-10 minutes until it's foamy).

Mix salt and flour, then combine with yeast slurry.

Mix thoroughly and knead on a floured board 0for 10 minutes until the dough is soft and stretchy. (Or 5 minutes in a stand mixer.) THIS IS WHEN YOU ADD SPENT GRAIN, while kneading. You can add a little at a time until it looks good.

Put the dough in an oiled bowl and let it rise for an hour until it's about double.

Punch down and divide into 8 pieces.

Roll the pieces into a snake and twist into a pretzel or leave it straight.

Put the shaped pretzels on parchment paper on a sheet pan.

Let proof till they get puffy (20 minutes).

While they are proofing, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

In a pot, mix 3 quarts water, baking soda, and malt syrup and bring it to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.

Put the pretzels in the water bath in batches. Make sure they float and don't stick. Let them boil for 30 seconds, then flip them over. Boil 30 more seconds and remove with a slotted spoon. Put them on a plate or sheet pan with parchment paper so they dry.

They will dry a little while you finish boiling. You can brush with egg wash or sprinkle with salt while they are wet. Move them to a DRY sheet of parchment on the baking sheet.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, but check them at 10.

-----

If you have a food processor, this can be done easily in the food processor, especially if the spent grain is dry. If it's wet, you can add it in, but I would knead it in after the dough is formed.

Put the flour and salt in the food processor, then add the yeast slurry while it's running. It should clear the sides within about 30 seconds from starting.

If it is too gloopy, add flour a tablespoon at a time. If it's too dry (crumbly looking), add water 1 tablespoon at a time. Keep it running!

Process 90 seconds total, then remove it to a lightly floured counter. Knead in spent grain a little at a time.

Does all of that make sense?

Back