Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beekeeperman,,i am reading your link,just started

it says to use whole rye or pumprnickel flour because of the nutrients.

can you use yeast nutrient [for wine] and regular bread flour?

I think the whole grain flours also have more of the bacteria and enzymes (? Whatever causes the fermentation?).

Whole grain, rye, etc flours are pretty heavy in my experiences. I always have to cut them with regular flour. Spent grain flour is the same way. Now for a sourdough culture, they could be interesting to get slightly different " sour" complexities?

Todays loaf, was a give away to a friend so no crumb shot.
Apparently no shot of the loaf as I must of forgotten, must of not happened[emoji56]

I have made a sourdough (?) starter using instant mashed potatoes, it makes really lovely bread, very soft & tender. I actually like using that recipe to make cinnamon-raisin bread.

When I was a kid, my mom used to make "salt risin'" bread, and that starter smelled so bad, I wouldn't eat the bread. Now I wonder what I was missing...

^ If that doesn't work out, you might could try putting it in the oven with the light on. Mine stays around 100F or so with the light on. Perfect for proofing and for making yogurt.

^ If that doesn't work out, you might could try putting it in the oven with the light on. Mine stays around 100F or so with the light on. Perfect for proofing and for making yogurt.

thMPU8A9OC.jpg

My daughter asked me to show her how to make the Italian sesame loaf we had for Thanksgiving. Turned out perfectly. It's an easy recipe that was on the Gold Medal flour bag - the braiding and sesame seeds make it seem a lot fancier than it should be. Also, bread flour seems to be the single greatest improvement I have made.

italian-sesame.jpg

Finally getting the hang of this sourdough thing. I did a loaf yesterday that looked, smelled, and tasted fantastic (no pics though :()

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to prevent the bread from popping its side out. I slash the top so that always turns out fine, but the sides seem to break open during baking.

ChefRex if that's blue cheese in the background in the second pic I'm guessing you had a pretty good night :p

What do you think about sharing the recipe and technique? Looks awesome!

I think I've already posted in this thread, but just in case:
1 c. water
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 cups bread flour
1 c. whole grain flour
1 c. spent grain
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt

I put it all in the bread maker on the 'dough' setting. When done I turn it out on a cutting board and form a boule. I let it proof while the oven heats to 410 deg. i also put a metal dish in the bottom rack of the oven.
I then slice the top and slide it onto a floured (or cornbreaded) stone that's been heating with the oven. I pour 1 cup cold water in the metal dish as well before closing the oven.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until done.

Looks wonderful. Do you simply add it to a recipie, and adjust the fluid/flour a little? Or substitute spent grain for cracked wheat? Inquiring minds want to know.:D
Oops just saw your recipie is already posted... Thank you!

FYI - if you condition your malt, you should probably run the spent grains through a food processor to chop up the husks or they get a little chewy and/or stuck in your teeth.

I'm only here cause I got one of them beer bread kits for Christmas :p It's baking right now with 12 oz of my Rye IPA. It sparked my interest enough to come check out this thread and maybe actually attempt my own bread.

Back