Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been doing some experiments with Diastatic Malted Barley Flour to see if it actually makes any difference with my bakes. The first test was with some Sourdough loaves but I wanted to try them in something that does typically call for it... Pretzels!

If you're not sure what diastatic malted barley flour is, it's basically extremely finely crushed barley, husk and all. It's supposed to provide a boost of nutrients for the bread yeast and give a darker color in baking.

I have used Malted Barley flour. I'm not sure it includes the hull though... Pretty sure it is de-hulled.

The key is that Diastatic flour means it has the enzymes in it that convert starch into sugar, as we do with our beer. So it is Malted Barley flour, not just Barley Flour.
Bakers call it "Dough Conditioner" and King Edward sells it in 4 oz jars. It should result in more yeast growth in the dough and more bubbles for airyness.
I think you want a slightly longer proof period when you use it as well.

Where did you find it, I have been scouring the web. Last time I bought it was from Bob's Red Mill but they have discontinued it.

BTW your breads look Great!

F8121AE1-26C3-4720-BC75-8E409018E7D6.jpeg
Followed this “cheater” sourdough recipe. I literally pulled it out of the oven about 12 minutes ago. Can’t wait for it to cool and try it.

I have used Malted Barley flour. I'm not sure it includes the hull though... Pretty sure it is de-hulled.

The key is that Diastatic flour means it has the enzymes in it that convert starch into sugar, as we do with our beer. So it is Malted Barley flour, not just Barley Flour.
Bakers call it "Dough Conditioner" and King Edward sells it in 4 oz jars. It should result in more yeast growth in the dough and more bubbles for airyness.
I think you want a slightly longer proof period when you use it as well.

Where did you find it, I have been scouring the web. Last time I bought it was from Bob's Red Mill but they have discontinued it.

BTW your breads look Great!

Thanks! I ended up buying mine off Amazon: Amazon.com : Breadtopia Organic Diastatic Malt Powder 8 oz. | Non-GMO Malted Barley Flour | No Additives, No Sugar, & No Fillers | Milled from Whole Malted Barley Kernel | : Grocery & Gourmet Food There are other brands out there too. I probably chose that one based on price per ounce.

Love marbled rye for pastrami sandwiches!

Make my first loaf from a starter that I started about a week and a half ago using a basic beginner recipe adapted from one Billy Parisi has published. Hydration seemed a little low to me (compared to all the pizza dough and the few yeast breads I have made), but I am happy with the result and just love the flavor of this first loaf!! Cooked this one in a preheated Dutch oven rather than on my steel. All I had was whole wheat and All Trumps, so that is what I used. I have some rye flour now too for the next attempt.
IMG_7712.JPG
IMG_7716D.JPG
IMG_7721D.JPG

This just came out of the oven. It's almost half whole wheat with a little bit of rye flour. This one feels heavy and dense compared to my previous attempt. I'm expecting a much tighter crumb. I maybe did learn to make my decorative scores much shallower compared to my attempt above, but it could be the bread did not expand enough in the oven. I'll figure it out when it cools off enough.

IMG_7726D.JPG

with that much rye and whole wheat, I'm really impressed with how much rise you ended up getting!
Thanks. You probably know much more about it that I do. That loaf was a bit of a stretch because I did not really follow the recipe. The recipe wanted me to make a 100% hydration levain, basically, using a mix of bread flour and whole wheat flour. I blew that off, as I had a very active 100% hydration starter that I had fed a few hours earlier. So I just subbed in my active starter, then did an autolyse for 1 hours, then added the starter and then the salt. So basically, I just played like I knew what the hell I was doing and got lucky that it came out pretty well! It's different than my first loaf that had the big bubbles, but OMG it made really nice BLTs for dinner and I love the flavor. I am just kinda pumped that it seems that if I keep at it, I will be able to control variables enough to produce breads with different characteristics depending on what I want to do with them!

Really, I am just happy my starter is healthy, worked, and tasted great!! lol

My third sourdough attempt. This is pretty much the same recipe as I used for the first loaf, but instead of doing a 30 minute autolyse and then adding the levain, I went ahead and put the levain in at the same time I started the autolyse, then added the salt and part of the water after the 30 minutes. A tighter crumb than the first, but more open and less dense than the second recipe. I'm really happy with the flavor of all three attempts, and really happy with the way the scoring worked on this one. I also left off all the extraneous flour and rice flour I had on the previous loaves.
IMG_7738D.JPG
IMG_7739D.JPG
IMG_7743D.JPG

Forth sourdough loaf from a little over a week ago. This one was the same recipe as I did for the first.
IMG_7798D.JPG
IMG_7799D.JPG

And my fifth attempt. This was a new recipe that I transcribed off of YouTube by Claire Saffitz. I was late getting started on this one on the day I made the dough and bulk ferm with hourly folds ran to about 10 PM and probably could have gone a little longer, but I needed sleep :) Baked it midday the next day so it only had about 14 hours or so cold ferment.

IMG_7847D.JPG
IMG_7846D.JPG
IMG-7849.jpg

Yorkshire Pudding recipe for @bracconiere
Basic Batter
1 cup/ 125g/ 4oz of Plain Flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cup / 300ml / half pint milk

Into blender liquid first and blend until smooth.

Stand for one hour and ensure consistency of heavy cream ( it should still pour ).

Brush bun / muffin tin with beef dripping, butter or oil. For mini Yorkshires I use the mini muffin tins which are less than 2 inch across.
Place onto top shelf oven preheated to 220 Celsius / 425 F until the oil begins to smoke.

Remove pan and fill each "tin " about 2/3 full with batter

Bake 15 - 20 minutes until risen and golden, If making minis this time will be less.

Add toppings and eat warm.

Picture of my sourdough as it's the bread thread.

IMG_20220227_085748.jpgIMG_20220227_085752.jpgIMG_20220227_090218.jpg

Yorkshire Pudding recipe for @bracconiere
Basic Batter
1 cup/ 125g/ 4oz of Plain Flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cup / 300ml / half pint milk

Into blender liquid first and blend until smooth.

Stand for one hour and ensure consistency of heavy cream ( it should still pour ).

Brush bun / muffin tin with beef dripping, butter or oil. For mini Yorkshires I use the mini muffin tins which are less than 2 inch across.
Place onto top shelf oven preheated to 220 Celsius / 425 F until the oil begins to smoke.

Remove pan and fill each "tin " about 2/3 full with batter

Bake 15 - 20 minutes until risen and golden, If making minis this time will be less.

Add toppings and eat warm.

Picture of my sourdough as it's the bread thread.

View attachment 767717View attachment 767718View attachment 767719

if i use say 56g's split pea flour mixed with 28g's vital gluten, leave out the egg yolk, and just use the white... and maybe just 1 cup milk?

i'd have to buy some cast iron muffin pans for it, but might be worth it! i can only do two push ups, and one pull up...and am a broke fool, that needs to find more creative ways to serve beans! (i saved up for years to buy my flour mill!)

maybe even add a 1/2 teaspoon of ham bullion to the butter before smoking it?

(but it sounds like a pop over? does this recipe colapse like a yorkshire pudding?)

if i use say 56g's split pea flour mixed with 28g's vital gluten, leave out the egg yolk, and just use the white... and maybe just 1 cup milk?

i'd have to buy some cast iron muffin pans for it, but might be worth it! i can only do two push ups, and one pull up...and am a broke fool, that needs to find more creative ways to serve beans! (i saved up for years to buy my flour mill!)

maybe even add a 1/2 teaspoon of ham bullion to the butter before smoking it?

(but it sounds like a pop over? does this recipe colapse like a yorkshire pudding?)
Yes I think I've seen a popover and it's similar. Not all Yorkshire puddings collapse. Any batter recipe that you have will do as long as it's not a sweet batter.
The tins we cook them in are made out of pressed metal not cast iron. Don't even need to be non stick as they are " oiled up ".

Yes I think I've seen a popover and it's similar. Not all Yorkshire puddings collapse. Any batter recipe that you have will do as long as it's not a sweet batter.
The tins we cook them in are made out of pressed metal not cast iron. Don't even need to be non stick as they are " oiled up ".

no gluten in bean flour though, and they don't mix that great with extracted wheat gluten.....why i'm always trying to come up with creative ways to use it....

Tortillas.
Haven't done these in a long time.
Flour and yeast, I like using yeast, it makes the bread more chewy.

450gr flour - Fife
250ml water
80gr butter.

Attachments

• IMG_3417_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    IMG_3417_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3418_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    IMG_3418_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3422_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    IMG_3422_Tortilla-1000.jpg
  • IMG_3429_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    IMG_3429_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3430_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    IMG_3430_Tortilla-1000.jpg
  • IMG_3435_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    IMG_3435_Tortilla-1000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Are bagels allowed here? I make a batch of NYC bagels 🥯 every month or so. Been tweaking a recipe from Cooks Illustrated for over a year to suit my taste and kitchen equipment. Pic is from a recipe I submitted for my company holiday e-cookbook.

Attachments

• 2E551361-C507-4EB2-B468-5464844546A7.jpeg
    2E551361-C507-4EB2-B468-5464844546A7.jpeg
    735.6 KB · Views: 0
Are bagels allowed here? I make a batch of NYC bagels 🥯 every month or so. Been tweaking a recipe from Cooks Illustrated for over a year to suit my taste and kitchen equipment. Pic is from a recipe I submitted for my company holiday e-cookbook.

Are you using diastatic malt powder or DME like you'd use for extract brewing? I hadn't thought of doing that, but could see how it might give more flavor to the bagels.

Back