Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B28B04FC-3680-4E98-910C-8D47CD304BEF.jpeg
01427B02-1D1C-454B-979E-EEAAD9DF445E.jpeg
78363811-FD25-4D95-8B91-19792CC62DDA.jpeg
1C5046FA-735B-4362-A31F-7FE59DD3C377.jpeg
DDAB4516-0A6E-4C4A-9B52-6B0A6D9E1DA8.jpeg
706EF8DF-33DE-4027-BCC0-D0E936EE311B.jpeg
the three latest breads I baked. It’s about 60% white wheat flour and 40% full grain.
Enjoying it with buffalo cheese and home made pesto

20200408_060041.jpg
View attachment 674767 Fresh loaf of bread for the morning. A blend of about 70% GP and 30% lentil flours. Overnight fermentation. Popped in the oven about 0430.

This flour blend makes for a tasty, but dense, loaf. My try it again with about 10% lentil (we like the flavor) and see how that comes out.

Beautiful, Dave. A very eager starter. What's your starter composition, hydration? Dough hydration?

It’s white flour starter. 50/50 flour/water. For the dough I used 255g of white flour and 170g of full grain wheat flour. 150g of starter and 300g of water. I don’t know about percents.

I mostly use italian flour - got a lot of them with ended exp. date so I’m feeding my starter and making bread with them.
FE44A8DC-7622-459C-9C92-B79EB389342F.jpeg

20200408_153227.jpg
A couple 50 50 ap and stone ground whole wheat loaves. My wife asked me to make these smallish loaves again. The bread slices are good size for the kids. Turns out one dough batch makes two pizzas and two small loaves, so a good combo to rely on for me.
Screenshot_20200408-222805_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200408-153614_Gallery.jpg

Short on space and containers while sheltering at home. Has any one scaled down the recipe for 5 minute bread. Say a half batch?

Making my third attempt to use a stiff levain for making NY style bagels. First attempt was okay but not stellar. Second attempt was a failure.

The third attempt won’t be ready to boil until around lunchtime tomorrow.

I've done it that way, starting with whole grain flour. The argument in favor is that the larger portion of the outer layer of the grain (bran) carries a larger inoculating population of yeast and bacteria, which is true, and the extra enzymes, minerals, and other nutrients in the germ and bran will jump start things. Also true. But you can also just start with all unbleached flour, which is now my preference (it has, I admit, been more years than I can count since I started my current sourdough, but thus is how I did it.) The argument here is that it is best to start a culture in the conditions you expect it to ultimately thrive in, and most of us regularly feed our sourdough unbleached flour.

The upshot is, you can start a culture using any flour you like, any hydration you like. What is critical is that the water be non chlorinated so as not to kill the few bugs you have, and to keep it loosely covered so as to allow oxygen access, but to keep bugs from the environment from gettng in as much as possible -- contrary to popular misconceptions, the bugs we want are present on the grain, just as traditional winemaking uses the yeast on the grape skin.

So there's more than one way to do it. But short story long, can't go wrong with advice from King Arthur. What should always be avoided is adding anything but some kind of flour and water. Extraneous sources of yeast and nutrients, like fruits, acids, etc., may yield comfortingly rapid onset of visible activity, but are not setting up conditions selective of organisms that will thrive in the long term in conditions we provide.

The absolute short version is: mix flour and water and cover loosely. When it has risen and fallen, however long it takes, discard some and add more flour and water. Repeat, repeat, repeat....

Thanks so much Robert. Great, now I am curious. How much flour and water. Cup flour and half water or just blow and go, dump some starter add some flour and water too.....I assume a fairly wet, but not watery consistency. Thanks again.

Thanks so much Robert. Great, now I am curious. How much flour and water. Cup flour and half water or just blow and go, dump some starter add some flour and water too.....I assume a fairly wet, but not watery consistency. Thanks again.

Yeah, my point is it doesn't really matter that much, bugs wanna grow, but a loose, batter like consistency is easier to work with, and with more water and, as a result, easier bubbling of CO2 out and O2 diffusing in, the culture will grow faster. So I'd suggest anything from 100% to 150% hydration initially, and 150% is probably very close to equal parts by volume.

The method I used is similar to the King Arthur method. However, the most exotic flour I can find right now is unbleached. I think that’s contributed to how slow mine has come along.

The method I used is similar to the King Arthur method. However, the most exotic flour I can find right now is unbleached. I think that’s contributed to how slow mine has come along.
Don't worry, be patient, it will get there. I honestly think you'll be better off in the end. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Cranberry, poppyseed, & hemp seed NY style bagels using a stiff levain. Better than my last two attempts but still needs more rise and less water.

I make them on the small side. The recipe says it makes 10. I always try to get a dozen.

The crust has an almost cracker taste.

B404F79D-E9CC-4161-BE06-D4C8516C2607.jpeg

I thought I would try making bread for the first time since I'm stuck at home. All I could get was all purpose flour, bleached I think, and I had to use some beer yeast slurry because there was no bread yeast in the store. I made a 1 cup flour "starter" with it and let it go for a day. Then mixed up a batch of no-knead bread with some oats I had and let it rest 24 hours. Surprisingly it didn't suck...

20200417_210009.jpg

I owe that to the YouTube channel Artisan Bread with Steve though. Some really good easy to follow videos on there.

I thought I would try making bread for the first time since I'm stuck at home. All I could get was all purpose flour, bleached I think, and I had to use some beer yeast slurry because there was no bread yeast in the store. I made a 1 cup flour "starter" with it and let it go for a day. Then mixed up a batch of no-knead bread with some oats I had and let it rest 24 hours. Surprisingly it didn't suck...

View attachment 676197

I owe that to the YouTube channel Artisan Bread with Steve though. Some really good easy to follow videos on there.
looks like it worked really well! good job improvising with what you had on hand

I love the taste of pretzels but had been putting off making any since it was really hard to find baking soda lately. Well, I finally found some and decided to make some pretzel buns to go with dinner last night.

This recipe uses bakers yeast and only takes about 2.5 hours from start to finish. It was extremely easy and I ended up with 8 pretzel buns perfectly sized for hamburgers.

The ingredients and a rough method are below. For full instructions and more pics, check out my bread blog: https://alegrebread.com/2020/04/19/pretzel-buns/

Dough

* 3 3/4 cups AP flour
* 1/4 oz (about 2 tsp) yeast
* 2 tsp sea salt
* 1 1/4 cups water @ ~110'F
* 3 Tbsp melted butter

Rough Method

1. Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer w/ dough hook attachment for a few minutes.
2. Knead by hand for 2-3 minutes.
3. Let ferment in a warm area for 60-90 minutes, or until doubled.
4. Punch down and form into 8-10 balls
5. Let balls proof for another 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425'F and get the water bath started w/ 4.25 cups water and 3 Tbsp baking soda
7. Boil 2 buns at a time, 30 seconds per side
8. Let buns dry on a wire rack, scoring them and adding any toppings (I did pretzel salt)
9. Bake on a parchment lined sheet for 16-18 minutes
10. Let cool for 15-20 minutes then enjoy!

Bonus Pics

ooWa47b.jpg

X10PXSX.jpg

KsEXVBR.jpg

PT6UF8N.jpg

epkBQA4.jpg

View attachment 676858 View attachment 676859 View attachment 676860
I believe I lost some gas getting it out of the basket prior to placing in the Dutch oven, but it’s tasty.
I had that happen to my first few sourdough loaves. Did you use a sourdough culture or bakers yeast?

It looks like there might have been two issues:

1. You didn't give it enough structure or develop the gluten well enough. This can be accomplished by giving the dough proper stretch + folds within the first 90 minutes of bulk fermentation.

2. You might have over fermented or over proofed it. There are many different variables that go into this, but the biggest ones are ambient temperature and how much yeast you used. The warmer the temp or the more yeast you use, the faster the dough will ferment and proof.

Back