Quantcast

Homemade Bread Thread

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
I made a couple loaves with toasted walnuts and currants.

The first one was just the above, with the currants soaked in water (this one was in the 6qt DO):

The second included walnuts, bourbon-soaked currants, Dutch process cocoa powder, brown sugar, extra dark chocolate chips, and half the liquid came from an 11% imperial stout:

Here's a crumb shot for both:

Beernik

Reaction score
First time since I’ve switched from yeast to a sourdough levain for my bagel recipe where I’ve had them immediately float in the boil.

It’s taken me 2 months to get here. I should be able to slice one open in about 30 minutes for pictures.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That is a tasty looking bagel.

Has anyone tried to use a Kviek yeast for bread? Any feedback?

I completely burned a sourdough loaf today. Forget it in the oven, so it is pure chicken feed.

Beernik

Reaction score
That is a tasty looking bagel.
Thanks.

It took me a several tries to get the recipe converted from yeast to levain. I think the main problems were:
1. The levain & dough were too wet. I have to keep both the dough and levain on the verge of being too dry, like a biscuit dough. I start mixing it slightly too dry and add water by the 1/2 tablespoon until it comes together.
2. The levain needed two months to mature enough to rise a dozen bagels. This probably has a lot to do with the process I used making it, my house being too cold in March & April, & being too anxious to begin using it.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Scuse my ignorance. Can you describe the using rice flour and how that helps the result? Is the rice flour in the recipe or dusting the loaf or something else?

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Scuse my ignorance. Can you describe the using rice flour and how that helps the result? Is the rice flour in the recipe or dusting the loaf or something else?
The rice flour was applied to the brotform after it was misted with water to prevent the dough from sticking. It worked rather well.

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Hoppy2bmerry, It looks like the cut on top opened pretty good and decent slope on the bottom of the loaf, definitely a nice open moist looking crumb.

I need to get some rice flour and give my brotforms another try one of these days.
Thanks, it is a tasty loaf. The rice flour made a huge difference! No more ugly loaves, at least I hope not.

michaeltrego

Reaction score
Portuguese Linguica & Cheese Nibbles - overnight ferment in fridge, cheddar cheese and ground linguica in mini muffin pans - great appetizer.

Attachments

TandemTails

Reaction score
We had an extremely hot end of June / early July so my bread baking went on a hiatus. It was getting up to 85'F in the kitchen even without the oven going so I really didn't want to have it cranking out heat for a few hours if it wasn't necessary. Fortunately, the weather finally started cooling down so I was able to bake a few loaves yesterday.

Grain Bill
* 900g Bread flour
* 60g Dark Rye flour
* 40g Spent Grain flour
* 750g filtered water @88'F
* 200g unfed starter straight from the fridge
* 22g sea salt

Rough method
* no autolyse - just mixed everything together
* 4x folds at 30 minute intervals during first 2 hours of bulk ferment
* total of 7 hours of bulk fermentation at room temp (between 74-76'F)
* shape and place in bannetons
* cold proof in the fridge for about 17 hours
* bake at 450'F for 20 minutes covered and then 30 minutes uncovered

The full recipe with more photos and a complete method can be found here: Dark Rye + Spent Grain Sourdough

Curtis2010

Reaction score
Beer Bread Binge....

Yesterday I made beer bread using Negro Modelo and it was awesome!

Today I upgraded beer a bit to Cerveceria Maestra's (Panama) Negra Porter. I was hesistant to dump such a good Porter into a loaf of bread, but it turned out quite nice.

Both versions of beer bread had a wash of egg/sugar/cocoa powder applied before baking.

Yum...

Attachments

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beer Bread Binge....

Yesterday I made beer bread using Negro Modelo and it was awesome!

Today I upgraded beer a bit to Cerveceria Maestra's (Panama) Negra Porter. I was hesistant to dump such a good Porter into a loaf of bread, but it turned out quite nice.

Both versions of beer bread had a wash of egg/sugar/cocoa powder applied before baking.

Yum...
Those are both just awesome!

Curtis2010

Reaction score
I'd be happy with just that Panamanian Porter!
It is a good porter, but my favorite Panamanian Porter is by La Rana Dorada, it is a textbook perfect porter....especially the draft version served up at one of their brew pubs!

ehall

Reaction score
anyone here ever done bread in a crock pot? I came across a recipe and thought it interesting except I just can't see how it could beat the oven method...

Curtis2010

Reaction score
anyone here ever done bread in a crock pot? I came across a recipe and thought it interesting except I just can't see how it could beat the oven method...
For situations where you may not have access to an oven, bread can be made in crock pots, pressure cookers, dutch ovens, etc. I spend a lot of time on boats and its more common there.

michaeltrego

Reaction score
Looks beautiful. Any English muffin characteristics? Never had/made them. Would you be inclined to post the batter recipe?
Totally different than English Muffins. They have a spongy texture, rather than a bready texture. Recipe link up above.

eimar

Brasserie Montfort No NEIPA brewed here
Reaction score
Most of my breads are baked in a cast iron dutch oven ( with a stainless steel knob on the lid ) . The lid keeps the moisture inside .
pain1.jpg
pain2.jpg

rhys333

Reaction score
Here's a great video on potato bread. I wonder if this will work with the no-knead method.

NeilMac

Reaction score
I always do a three day or more ferment, no knead required when doing that, only if its same day used.

Latest posts