Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up with a 3 hour autolyse before adding the starter. This loaf spent two nights in the fridge before I was ready to bake. The crumb is almost too open--the flavor is great and the crust is awesome, but I think I'll stick with one overnight ferment going forward.

P1100445.jpg

P1100446.jpg

Made some bread for Valentines Day over the weekend. First time doing an overnight ferment using this method...still have enough dough in the fridge for another loaf. If it's still good after a few days this will be my go-to method for sure.

crumb shot feb 2015.jpg

bread feb 2015.jpg

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started making sourdough bread? The pictures in here are making my mouth water, and I've always wanted to make my own. I know I can research it myself, but I'm hoping some of you seasoned vets can lay it out for me in layman's terms.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started making sourdough bread? The pictures in here are making my mouth water, and I've always wanted to make my own. I know I can research it myself, but I'm hoping some of you seasoned vets can lay it out for me in layman's terms.

Pm sent

Why is my bread flat? It rises well during the first rise, then I punch it down and form it into loaves and then it barely rises in the second rising.

Why is my bread flat? It rises well during the first rise, then I punch it down and form it into loaves and then it barely rises in the second rising.

No need to punch. Also might be your recipe/yeast/technique. I used to punch down and had similar issues. Now just stretch and fold to shape and get better results (also using a better recipe tho).

This morning's loaf. Overnight rise, shaped this morning.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424625037.618072.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424625051.315391.jpg

I've been baking weekly for a while now, and started using a higher hydration dough this week. The dough is a little harder to shape, but the loaves rose more overnight and had a nice open crumb.

I've made olive loaves and cranberry walnut. Anybody have any luck with any other flavor combinations? Looking to mix things up over the next few batches.

P1100516.jpg

P1100518.jpg

So I did a search on this thread but came up with squat - anyone have a great pita recipe? We want the fluffy kind you can make gyros with, not the pocket type. Pics would be great too! :D

Never made pitas, was going to lead you to a naan recipe but I adapted it to sourdough and then cook it differently so I'm not to sure it would work for you.
Shape it round and call it pita.

Here it is anyway,
http://www.foodieshope.org/2007/03/perfect-garlic-naan-with-gola-kurma.html

So I did a search on this thread but came up with squat - anyone have a great pita recipe? We want the fluffy kind you can make gyros with, not the pocket type. Pics would be great too! :D

I've got one I might be using this week, I'll see if I can remember to grab it at home.

Never made pitas, was going to lead you to a naan recipe but I adapted it to sourdough and then cook it differently so I'm not to sure it would work for you.
Shape it round and call it pita.

Here it is anyway,
http://www.foodieshope.org/2007/03/perfect-garlic-naan-with-gola-kurma.html

Love that blog! I agree that a naan would work well, I use the Cooks Illustrated recipe. It's a little easier to make, you get a cast iron pan smoking hot, give a couple spritzes of water, slap the bread down, put on a lid, and let it steam for about 3 minutes and they're done. Works beautifully.

I've got one I might be using this week, I'll see if I can remember to grab it at home.

Here's the recipe I usually use. I typically don't follow it to a T but the gist of it is pretty solid

Ingredients:
2.5 tsp instant yeast
2tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar
4 cups AP flour (I usually use bread flour)
1.5 cups warm water
1 tbsp olive oil

1) Combine yeast, sugar and water. Aerate well and set it aside to proof
2) Mix salt and flour in a separate bowl. Mix to combine then add to the wet bowl.
3) Right as it starts to form a dough, add the olive oil. Keep kneading until it becomes cohesive.
4) Let rise about 1-2 hours in warm place

The recipe calls for it to be punched down and form dough balls, then let the balls rise and roll out for cooking. I usually skip that step and just pinch off what I need and roll out the bread after it rose the first time. YMMV

5) Heat a heavy bottomed pan (I usually use a cast iron griddle) on medium high heat

6) Slap on your rolled (or stretched) bread. Similar to making pancakes, it's ready to flip when bubbles start to form.

The recipe isn't really "fluffy" but it holds up very well when we make a Greek style chicken with some tzatziki.

If you find something better be sure to share :mug:

Now we are talking! I hope you have giardiniera on hand.

Is the baby formula your secret ingredient?!

Took the bull by the horns and here is the first attempt. Great rye flavor.

One loaf I put the light layer on the outside, the other has the dark layer on the outside.

(cross-posted on the Weekend cooking thread!)

What recipe did you go with? This looks awesome!

What recipe did you go with? This looks awesome!

After mulling over various recipes online, I ended up going with my usual bread machine recipe, substituting 1 cup of freshly-ground rye flour for 1 cup of our sprouted/dehydrated/ground red winter wheat. So, it was 2 cups of the whole wheat flour, 1 cup of rye flour, 1.5 cups water, 1 tsp. yeast, 1 tablespoon molasses, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten, 1.5 tablespoons dried milk powder, 1.5 tablespoons olive oil. For the dark dough, I added 2 tablespoons of Hersheys Special Dark Cocoa. Both loaves had a teaspoon of caraway seeds as well.

I did the dough cycle in both Zojirushi bread machines - they are about 10 years difference in age but the dough cycles ran exactly the same amount of time. Then I took the paddles out of the bread pans, shaped the loaves into something more - well, shapely - put them back in the bread pans and into my electric oven, with just the oven light on for heat. They were doubled in an hour.

Punched down, divided each dough ball into 4 parts, rolled them out, stacked them alternately, making 2 loaves - into oiled bread pans, back into the oven with the light on to rise. Took about an hour 20 minutes.

Took them out and stuck them in the microwave with the door ajar to keep the light on, preheated the oven at 350* for 10 minutes, stuck 'em in and baked 20 minutes, then put my temp probe into one loaf and set the temp to alarm at 194*, which gave me time to hustle my butt out to the kitchen and get them out at about 196* which was perfect.

That looks good. What is the secret to keeping the loaf in a nice round form like that ?
Tried making a sourdough loaf like that but it flattened out some.

That looks good. What is the secret to keeping the loaf in a nice round form like that ?
Tried making a sourdough loaf like that but it flattened out some.

Try using a Dutch oven. It will keep it round and assuming the correct loaf size it will keep it from flattening too. Good shaping and secondary rise in a round bowl will also encourage that shape.

I make a very nice whole whole wheat using the basic recipe in Rienhart's "Whole Wheat Breads". Then I came up with the great idea to use 20% or so of malted wheat rather than hard red wheat. (I grind my flower before each loaf).

Using the malted wheat and baking for the 50 minutes I do for my regular whole wheat it comes out very doughy. Any suggestions on how long I should bake it when subbing some malted wheat? The flavor is great but the texture needs help.

I make a very nice whole whole wheat using the basic recipe in Rienhart's "Whole Wheat Breads". Then I came up with the great idea to use 20% or so of malted wheat rather than hard red wheat. (I grind my flower before each loaf).

Using the malted wheat and baking for the 50 minutes I do for my regular whole wheat it comes out very doughy. Any suggestions on how long I should bake it when subbing some malted wheat? The flavor is great but the texture needs help.

I use a digital probe thermometer, the type that inserts into your food in the oven, and then the cable comes out the door and into the digital base unit. I get my breads up to about 200* and they come out perfect.

Somebody else may have suggestions about ratio of water to flour when you're subbing in malted flour. That one I can't help you with, sorry!

Tried my first braided loaf of Italian. Ugly but good.

That actually looks pretty good! MUCH better than my first attempt at a cinnamon/dried cherry loaf - it got a HUGE "balloon" between the top crust and the first roll - looks like an air explosion happened in there - LOL! Sure tastes good though, as I'm sure your Italian braid did!

Back