Holy Kveik, Batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellyho

Reaction score
Well, I didn't really *plan* on running it up to 104, but we'll see what happens!
IMG_20181211_151725.jpeg

1.06 to 1.007 in three days. No discernable off flavors. I'm giving it another day to clean up, then bottling.

Into bottles on day 5. Will report on outcome at end of week. Needs to be drinkable by 12/23.

The perfect summer yeast yeast for seasonal brewing.
I have to try some, but have an alt to bottle and ingredients for at least two more wheat beers to work on yet. The way I drink it will be summer before getting some of this strain.

OK, after a month in bottles, I can say that I have a strange earthy off-flavor. I will definitely be using again, but at lower fermentation temps.

Earthy off flavor can be caused also for water contamination or mold spores around your brew area that got into yout equipment.

Good thoughts - I'll check to make sure that's not happening. I have a non-kveik batch in process and we'll see if that has the same issues

Just a heads up with Voss. I had an extract batch that I thought under-attenuated to 1.021 out of the expected 1.018. I batch aged it for 4 months and tested it again. It's sitting at 1.014 today. I'm glad I didn't bottle these month ago and try to age them for a year as originally planned.

Long term report - this has been in bottles for two months now and I'm really happy with how it's turned out. Early funky flavors have faded and I'm left with a tasty pale ale with distinct orange and spice notes. Beer was hopped solely with home grown hops post-flameout, those flavors have mostly faded, leaving yeast flavors behind. I will definitely be using kveik again for beers where I want these flavors. It's amazing.

Latest posts

Back