Voss Kveik Fermentation Profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
Brewed up an American Amber and used Voss Kveik for the first time. Party time after 2 hours - wild! Recipe calls for 5-7 days @ 95F. I usually use US-05 @ 67F and let it ride for 14 days before I even look at it, so this Kveik profile is new territory for me. I was just wondering what sort of profile people are using for Voss Kveik? Lower temp after a time? Keg after 5-7 days? Tell me your secrets folks...

Kveik is a great option for fast brewing in hot climate. It's my go-to yeast for many styles except the darker and malty beer. Voss has a citrusy profile which is prominent at higher temperature, like above 90F. So be careful if you don't want your amber ale to have lemon and orange flavor. You can ferment kveik at lower temperature and get more neutral results in just a few more days. I usually ferment kveik recipes at 90F for 5 days. Add a day or two to have the yeast finish up if you're not in a hurry and you're good. I don't ramp the temperature but not sure if it makes a big difference. Check out Lutra kveik for a neutral profile. David Heath has several videos on YouTube on how to brew with kveik.

Since you're in Canada you obviously have a way to keep fermentation temperature high enough. I have a wine cooler for my 2.5 gallon keg with an aquarium heating pad wrapped around it. The temperature is controlled with an Ink Bird. What are you using?

One thing I have found is that just because Voss can ferment at 95F, does not mean you have to ferment it at 95F. It pushes a lot of orange character when I fermented it at 85F to 90F, and the orange is less present at normal ale temps. Hot I would expect Voss to be done in 2 days and ready to keg in 4 days (but a few more days to clear is not a bad thing). My batch I fermented at 65F was still ready to keg in about a week.

David Heath has several videos on YouTube on how to brew with kveik.
It's actually a David Heath recipe I'm brewing, and he suggested Kveik at 95F for this one. Never brewed with it before so just figured I'd follow the recipe and see what happens. I plan to take notes and if it's too orange/citrusy I will likely ferment lower in the future. From what everyone is saying 80F sounds like a clean temp for this yeast.

Since you're in Canada you obviously have a way to keep fermentation temperature high enough. I have a wine cooler for my 2.5 gallon keg with an aquarium heating pad wrapped around it. The temperature is controlled with an Ink Bird. What are you using?
I use a bar fridge as a fermentation chamber and use a heating belt around the carboy. I also use a Wifi Inkbird with a thermowell and have no trouble holding temp within 1 degree.

Thanks everyone! It has been steady at 95F and tomorrow will be day 7 so I'll keg it then and see how it goes!

I use it at 95 in ORDER to throw the citrus, but I do citrus hoppy pale with it. Just 95 for a week and keg. I prefer to put it in a keg with a floating dip tube to draw from the top as I don't filter the hop material from the boil to the fermenter, and while a lot drops in a week, not all does and the float dip tube helps.
I also try using only 1/3 packet per 5gal batch to accentuate any esters, but the jury is out on whether the low pitch or the high temp is more important in getting the citrus but taming the Kveik farmhouse-ness funk.

Omega Voss is my go to for IPA's and I think the best way to tame the funk that some get is to take the wort to cold break temps of 68*-70*.
I've been pitching the standard ale pitch rate with a 1L starter at 68* and with a heater it's to 76 in first 12 hrs then it takes itself to 86* overnite. that's as high as I take it and it's done in 3-4 days and kegged then carbed and on tap in 12-14 days. No one picks up on that it was fermented with Kveik and are surprised when told. I ferment all the Kveiks this way and never have the funk.
I made 15 gal of RIS and a friend made 10 so we could fill a barrel. He used the dry version and 1 pack for 10 gal and there was that tartness everyone talks about. He didn't take it to cold break,under pitched and fermented at 90*+.

I have a pack of LaBrew Voss, how do you maintain high temps in winter? My garage is about 60-70 deg right now, do I need a heater or does the activity of the yeast warm up my chamber (keezer). I've mostly been brewing with ale yeasts and run my keezer around 72-76deg. I'd like to brew a pale ale with fruity esters and new world fruity hops so citrus notes sound good.

Don't turn fridge on, put a few bottles with hot water in on the shelves or bottom of fridge. Pitch yeast into wort near or above your target temperature. It will cool slightly and then warm as ferment kicks off. Temperature dropping is good indication ferment is over. Try and keep temp up for a day or so more to help it all clean up. Then remove heat and let fall and cold crash.
Extra insulation can help as well.

I used it four times (dry yeast) at both higher and lower temperatures and the lemon/orange flavor was too strong each time. It's like drinking a beer with a lot of lemon squeezed into it. Basically, I gave up Voss Kveik yeast.

I used it four times (dry yeast) at both higher and lower temperatures and the lemon/orange flavor was too strong each time. It's like drinking a beer with a lot of lemon squeezed into it. Basically, I gave up Voss Kveik yeast.
I'm done with Voss as well. For me I get a ton of unpleasant over-ripe orange no matter if I ferment in the 90's or upper 60's. When I do use a Kveik yeast I use Lutra, which I find to be quite a bit more neutral. In fact I'll be brewing a pale ale in a few days for some friends, and fermenting with Lutra and hopping with Cascade and CTZ.

I brewed with LalBrew Voss Kveik a couple of times, strong orange PEEL flavour and an unpleasant acidity. Fermenting at lower temp only gives a little less of it. Didn't clear as well, not even after months bottled. A high FG reached in 3 days, but not even in the hell it's done, tastes like green beer. Takes 2 to 3 weeks to clean up.

Only place I see it could be useful is in NEIPA'S territory. A very citrus forward beer, with no problems with been muddy haze and low attenuated.

Hope it helps people not feeling so bad about they experiences with this yeast.

I have just started with Kveik , done 2 with Voss and one with hornindal.I use a fish tank heater so I reach 30 C , 86 F .Not noticing much orange in my Neipas but definitely had a harsh bitterness/ tartness on the first one.I like it’s speed but may just go back to verdant .

I brewed with LalBrew Voss Kveik a couple of times, strong orange PEEL flavour and an unpleasant acidity. Fermenting at lower temp only gives a little less of it. Didn't clear as well, not even after months bottled. A high FG reached in 3 days, but not even in the hell it's done, tastes like green beer. Takes 2 to 3 weeks to clean up.

Only place I see it could be useful is in NEIPA'S territory. A very citrus forward beer, with no problems with been muddy haze and low attenuated.

Hope it helps people not feeling so bad about they experiences with this yeast.

So, this was my experience at the end of the day. I followed the recipe to a T and fermented at 95F for 7 days. I get strong orange peel and lots of astringency on the back end. The beer also has not cleared well at all. I'm sure a cooler temp would just be less of the same. Not a terrible yeast, but I think I'll reserve it for citrus forward IPA's or maybe a Saison...

I am planning to brew small batch pale ale or ipa with kveik voss dry yeast. I want some orange flavour and was thinking about adding 50g of orange peel at flameout with mandarina and citra hops. After reading this im second guessing that now.
Some people praise orange esters voss give and some hate this.
Im lost now.

Brewed up an American Amber and used Voss Kveik for the first time. Party time after 2 hours - wild! Recipe calls for 5-7 days @ 95F. I usually use US-05 @ 67F and let it ride for 14 days before I even look at it, so this Kveik profile is new territory for me. I was just wondering what sort of profile people are using for Voss Kveik? Lower temp after a time? Keg after 5-7 days? Tell me your secrets folks...
Chill wort to 37c , wrap the fermenter in a blanket, wait two days, done. Wait another day of you want to be ultra safe.

Chill wort to 37c , wrap the fermenter in a blanket, wait two days, done. Wait another day of you want to be ultra safe.

My experience with Voss Kveik is a predominant, unpleasant to me, citrus acid. I used it a few times, but each time as you would with normal yeast (two weeks of fermentation then bottling and two weeks of carbonation before moving the beer to the fridge).
Would fermentation for three days at 37'C change the beer profile with Voss Kveik?

Thanks. I will probably pitch full packet of voss into 15L wort at 35c put it on the bathroom floor under cardboard box. Floor set to 26c. Will see if this is enough to keep ferm temps above 30 and low enough to not overshoot with active fermentation. Keep an eye on temps and use hot waterbottles or icepacks if neccecary.
I am bottling so i think maybe i will let it ferment longer but if i see stable hydro readings for 3 days i will crash and bottle.
Would fermentation for three days at 37'C change the beer profile with Voss Kveik?
I read somewhere that one didnt like the esters that voss gives until he tried to ferment it really hot and was really suprised how much better it was. Maybe its better to ferment above 35C. Cant remember where i read abut it.

@minmaxx77 , I used it more than 8 times. 35C, and a couple at 20C. First time it gave (to my memory) great mandarin orange. Ever since, it was more pithy with twangy. I used it more in hoppy styles where it would be an addition rather than the main flavor.

The few times I've used Voss have been mostly less than pleasant, due to an overripe orange flavor it imparted. I've tried fermenting in the 60's and at 95-100, but it's still there. The one "exception" is when I tried it in a neipa where I loaded nearly a pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch. While I'm sure the funky orange flavor was there, the amount of hops likely overpowered the negative flavor of the Voss. The resulting beer actually tasted pretty good, but it had a thinner mouthfeel which was not ideal for the style. This despite the recipe containing 22% adjuncts (flaked barley, wheat, and oats). Maybe increasing the flaked grains to 30-35% or more would have helped? Maybe someday I'll try it, but only if I need to turn a beer around quickly for a party or something.

I am planning to brew small batch pale ale or ipa with kveik voss dry yeast. I want some orange flavour and was thinking about adding 50g of orange peel at flameout with mandarina and citra hops. After reading this im second guessing that now.
Some people praise orange esters voss give and some hate this.
Im lost now.
I'm just finishing up a Voss hazy that I brewed last Sunday. I typically ferment at 82F and it throws less Orange Tang than at a hotter temp. I'm also using Lotus, Mandarina and Belma to blend in that orange. I'll keg it probably Wed or Thurs.... So far, it's orangey but I don't get that Tang flavor... so far...lol

I have already 3 Neipas(2 in bottles third fermentting). So i was planning on something different to brew this weekend. I need it ready by the 26 of april for the weekend with my friends of craft beer enthusiast. This gives me around 3weeks wich is perfect with voss...
What if i use orange peel+ hops that give orange/tangerine+ esters from voss. Maybe then it will be more complex and layered flavour of orange? Or maybe making it more bitter? Lower OG (~1.050) but mashing higher to end up with higher FG? Maris otter and some golden promise but no oats to avoid neipa like mouthfeel?

I have already 3 Neipas(2 in bottles third fermentting). So i was planning on something different to brew this weekend. I need it ready by the 26 of april for the weekend with my friends of craft beer enthusiast. This gives me around 3weeks wich is perfect with voss...
What if i use orange peel+ hops that give orange/tangerine+ esters from voss. Maybe then it will be more complex and layered flavour of orange? Or maybe making it more bitter? Lower OG (~1.050) but mashing higher to end up with higher FG? Maris otter and some golden promise but no oats to avoid neipa like mouthfeel?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/brewing-a-pale-ale-suggest-hops.710870/post-10065274

Maybe an IPA with only some noble hops for bitterness (not citrus) would cover up the increased citrus acidity of Voss Kveik?

I gotta agree with @BongoYodeler about thin-ness. The dried Voss Kveik from Lallemand have always had attenuation of about 82%, mash temps 152-154. The notable exception was a mash temp of 158F where the attenuation was near 70%, but that was also more white wheat grist than barley as well.

Every summer I make a voss wheat ale. 64% 2 row, 36% wheat and whatever hops I want to throw at it. Even with the wheat malt it still finishes fairly dry and will drop clear by the time I finish the keg. Really tasty every time. After few weeks in the keg it really shines.

I pitch at 90-95F and stick the fermenter in a mini fridge (no temp control) or in the closet next to the water heater (always warmer than the rest of the house). It does have a strong orange aroma when I transfer to keg, but that fades in a few weeks.

Every summer I make a voss wheat ale. 64% 2 row, 36% wheat and whatever hops I want to throw at it. Even with the wheat malt it still finishes fairly dry and will drop clear by the time I finish the keg. Really tasty every time. After few weeks in the keg it really shines.

I pitch at 90-95F and stick the fermenter in a mini fridge (no temp control) or in the closet next to the water heater (always warmer than the rest of the house). It does have a strong orange aroma when I transfer to keg, but that fades in a few weeks.
I've brewed an American Wheat the past couple summers, and have added apricot extract, and fermented with dry Luta Kveik. Ferments quite clean and never noticed any orange, just apricot.

59% Wheat
38% 2-Row
3% Carapils

I plan on brewing it again this summer But this time I'm going to use apricot puree, and ferment with WY1056.

I keg after 5 or 6 days.
Version 1 had crystal hops (and a touch of green bullet for bittering)

Version 2 had Amarillo and cashmere

I did a starter a few hours before pitching as the yeast slurry was a year old. I've also just pitched some slurry without a starter and it took off quickly. Both times I had airlock movement in about an hour

I've brewed an American Wheat the past couple summers, and have added apricot extract, and fermented with dry Luta Kveik. Ferments quite clean and never noticed any orange, just apricot.

59% Wheat
38% 2-Row
3% Carapils

I plan on brewing it again this summer But this time I'm going to use apricot puree, and ferment with WY1056.

Lutra not have orange profile, but Voss have.

Just my 2 cents since I've had good luck with Voss. I've used Voss on almost every beer I make just to see how it could work in a pinch if you had to crank out a beer quick. I use a lot of yeast nutrient with it and use pure O2 if using liquid but not if using dry. Like a heaping teaspoon of nutrient per gallon of wort. I've only had a few beers where I noticed a little orange but not in an unpleasant way and usually those where beers that had nothing to mask the orange. I have never picked up on any astringency either. I usually set the ambient temp at 85 and just let it go to town and if I want to get it done even faster I'll make sure to hold the wort at 95 F. Not sure if going heavy on the yeast nutrient and not severely under pitching keeps it in check more or what. Lutra on the other hand always ends up with a touch of faint barn house funk to me which is hard to explain.

Just my 2 cents since I've had good luck with Voss. I've used Voss on almost every beer I make just to see how it could work in a pinch if you had to crank out a beer quick. I use a lot of yeast nutrient with it and use pure O2 if using liquid but not if using dry. Like a heaping teaspoon of nutrient per gallon of wort. I've only had a few beers where I noticed a little orange but not in an unpleasant way and usually those where beers that had nothing to mask the orange. I have never picked up on any astringency either. I usually set the ambient temp at 85 and just let it go to town and if I want to get it done even faster I'll make sure to hold the wort at 95 F. Not sure if going heavy on the yeast nutrient and not severely under pitching keeps it in check more or what. Lutra on the other hand always ends up with a touch of faint barn house funk to me which is hard to explain.

Rather, I think it's a matter of what liquid yeast you use. It probably doesn't have the same profile as Voss Kveik dry yeasts? Dry yeasts usually come with all the nutrients in the same bag with the yeast. At least that's what I read.

Not sure that dry yeast comes with nutrients?
I would use extra nutrients in any kveik ferment and oxygen if liquid or from storage. I tend to use a very neutral kveik opshaug.

Rather, I think it's a matter of what liquid yeast you use. It probably doesn't have the same profile as Voss Kveik dry yeasts? Dry yeasts usually come with all the nutrients in the same bag with the yeast. At least that's what I read.
Omega Kveik for Voss or Lutra is all I've used for liquid. I still use nutrient but no oxygen for LalBrew dry yeast.

I really like the taste profile of voss. In a simple pale ale for example it rocks IMO. I don't use it that much because last time the beer tasted excellent but I got very hungover from it. I pitch per recommendation from the Norwegians (severely underpitched) and maybe it throws a lot of bad stuff (but which taste good to me). Should probably try it again soon.

Back