Kveik stopping at 1.020?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arc_jpiv

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
I'm putting a batch together I call 10w-40, really dark and expecting ~10% ABV. I decided to use kveik yeast for this batch since I've had good experiences with it in the past, but she's slowed / stopped bubbling on me after 3 days.

I've got 12 lbs of malt syrup in this batch with 1.5 pounds of grains. O.G. was 1.080. Most of my brews have finished around 1.009, so what's up with this one being so high? I've taken readings the past 2 days and haven't gotten any change in the gravity. Decided to shake the fermenter a little to see if I could get some of the yeast going again.

I know Kveik ferments fast, but I'm not sure why my F.G. is still so high. Any input?
Thanks!

So this is a mostly extract batch?
Which strain of kveik are you using?
What is your fermentation temp?

I've had trouble with extract beers attenuating as low as I'd like them to. Further, some yeasts are better at attenuating than others. Lastly, I've had yeast that threw up the FU! flag and refused to ferment further.

It could be that your kveik is done, for whatever reason. You and try raising the temperature or possibly pitching fresher yeast. You still have sugar available so there's still something there for yeast to chew on.

So this is a mostly extract batch?
Which strain of kveik are you using?
What is your fermentation temp?

I've had trouble with extract beers attenuating as low as I'd like them to. Further, some yeasts are better at attenuating than others. Lastly, I've had yeast that threw up the FU! flag and refused to ferment further.

It could be that your kveik is done, for whatever reason. You and try raising the temperature or possibly pitching fresher yeast. You still have sugar available so there's still something there for yeast to chew on.
Extract batch: yes.
Yeast: LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale Dry Yeast
Temp: 90 F

I have seen a few other people say it goes out around here, just seems pretty high to me

As others have noted, 75% attenuation is about right for Voss. Did you add yeast nutrient near end of the boil? Kveiks need zinc and magnesium to perform at their best. This might have given you a few more points of attenuation.

As others have noted, 75% attenuation is about right for Voss. Did you add yeast nutrient near end of the boil? Kveiks need zinc and magnesium to perform at their best. This might have given you a few more points of attenuation.
No, hate to say it; but I haven't even heard of yeast nutrients. May have to give that a shot in the next batch.

The recipe listed above is pretty much exactly what I followed.
But your OG was only 1.080? Seems off. Sounds like you used less steeping grains than called for, and they won't give you much fermentable sugar anyway, but they still add a few gravity points to both OG and FG (since they're mostly not fermentable gravity points).

Caution: this reply contains recipe troubleshooting math. Reader discretion is advised. ;)

tl;dr: I don't see an easy explanation for actual OG 80 vs estimated OGs.

The recipe uses 75% for estimated steeping efficiency. Depending on how the 'steep' was actually done, the actual efficiency could be between 35% and 75%. (With cold extraction (no enzyme activity), an initial estimated efficiency is often 25% to 40%. For my 'steeps', I use 35% for estimating and actual OG comes out 'close enough')

Estimated OG, using 35%, 50%, and 75% efficiency:
1693565429990.png
The recipe shows a partial boil (with late LME additions)

1693565335536.png
1693565393791.png
so there is the possibility of a "stratified wort" SG measurement.

FWIW, getting to OG 80 appears to require 5.75 gal or 6 gal of wort (depending on steeping efficiency).

1693565863412.png
498, 472, and 456 are the 'gravity points' for recipes with estimated steep efficiencies of 75%, 50%, and 35%.​
table showing steeping efficiency at 35%
1693565890136.png

Last edited:
In other words, attenuation is well within manufacturer's range. Up near 80%.

with an actual OG 80; actual FG 20; attenuation is 75%; which IIRC, is towards the lower end of the range. Given the grain bill in this recipe, I would anticipate attenuation on the lower end.

It's probably done fermenting (not stalled). If FG remains stable over additional measurement(s), fermentation has finished. After any additional conditioning time, it should be OK to package.

Latest posts

Back