HERMS/RIMS step mash performance q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint_Vitus

Reaction score
For those of you with HERMS or RIMS. When you're doing a step mash, how many degrees/minute are you getting when you ramp up to the next step? Do you have a minimum acceptable rate, if so what is it?

I have a RIMS. It takes about five minutes to ramp 10*F and get a stable temp reading.

Edit: TC-integrated 1650 watt ULWD heating element with a disconnectable cable on a 120v 15A service.

Last edited:
My Herms takes about 5 minutes to ramp 10f. There basically the same. Just depends if you want to use a hlt or not typically. Cheers

Thanks for the info, keep it coming! :) I am unable to build my rig yet so I'm experimenting with a poor man's HERMS for now.

fwiw, I've achieved 2°F/min with my herms rig (20g kettles, 10 gallon batches, 50' 1/2" ss hex, twin bg14s) without getting too crazy with the hlt burner - running ~66% of WOT so as not to overwhelm the ventilation system. But I was pinched for time that day, and usually run closer to half that rate...

Cheers!

I use 5500 watt elements with a 50 foot stainless coil. I'm generally doing 18g batches. Cheers

I get about 2.5 degrees a minute on my 1800w rims doing 10 gallon brew sessions. (1.8gpm so its taking longer to bring the whole mash up by that much)

on my 3bbl system with 2 long 2200w cartridge heaters in a long u shaped rims I can raise the temp up to 7 degrees per pass at 5gpm (larger grainbed diameter allows for faster flow without channeling)

My measley 1*F per minute is done with an 1800*F RIMS at 0.5gpm.
My flow rate is th bottleneck here.

Planning on opening up my mill gap and doubling that flow rate.

2 degrees (F) per minute on a 5 gallon batch. 1.8 degrees per minute on a 10 gallon batch. 3 vessel e-Herms setup.

My measley 1*F per minute is done with an 1800*F RIMS at 0.5gpm.
My flow rate is th bottleneck here.

Planning on opening up my mill gap and doubling that flow rate.
Are you reporting the temp increase of the wort through the rims or the temp increase of the mash tun. Seems a bit odd that I get better heating with much faster flow and the same wattage element. The lower flow should result in more temp increase passing through the rims.

Are you reporting the temp increase of the wort through the rims or the temp increase of the mash tun. Seems a bit odd that I get better heating with much faster flow and the same wattage element. The lower flow should result in more temp increase passing through the rims.
Mash tun temp increase. 1.5 qt per pound, 10-15lbs grist.

Back