Greetings from South Florida! (Miami/FL Keys)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankhophead456

Reaction score
Hey there!

Just wanted to introduce my self. I'll keep this introduction short and brief. I'm currently from the Miami/FL keys area. I've been barbacking for over a year now. Starting from the winery and a few local breweries. From what I learned is that each brewery and bar work differently. On what beer they primary specialize on, what seasonal beers on rotation, how they advertise on the upcoming products etc. Working in that environment for a while already influenced me into buying a cocktail kit to practice at home, get my cicerone beer tending certification and buying my first ever homebrewing kit from morebeer. The brewing kit came with an American Ale recipe so brewing that shouldn't be much of a hassle for the first time brewing i'm hoping. But I do know brewing is a lot of work so I'm definitely prepared for that. Drinking the local stuff from South Florida really changed my taste and palate for beer. Sure I do like a Budweiser or a PBR once in a while when i hang out with friends. But I sure do like the beer that comes from people that are really into and passionate on the stuff they make. The beer from the FL keys is my go to. It's refreshingly crisp and great. Available in most grocery stores, bars and gas stations. Whether it's a Key lime ale , American Lager , tropical pale ale or a honey blonde ale. Some of the miami stuff is mind blowingly amazing also. The sour stuff got me into another world of beer I never knew existed. Some great stuff from Wynwood and Kendall I'm already stocked up from those sours in my beer fridge. Enough of this introduction. What do you guys think of the beer from Miami & FL keys?

Welcome aboard!
I've visited Florida and tried local beer. I don't think any were from Miami or Key West, but I'm sure I enjoyed good brews in Ft Lauderdale and Boynton Beach.

Welcome aboard!
I've visited Florida and tried local beer. I don't think any were from Miami or Key West, but I'm sure I enjoyed good brews in Ft Lauderdale and Boynton Beach.
Thanks!

Ft Lauderdale has great stuff. Funky Buddha is the only one I tried and i loved their take on the seasonal coquito. The Rum barrel-aged imperial cream ale. I wanna try hollywood brewing stuff at some point

One of my favorites is in Homestead, Miami Brewing Co. awesome venue. Beers aren’t anything phenomenal but they’re decent. Frequented M.I.A. in Doral. If you’re into sours, check out Tripping Animals. Also from Doral. Wynwood has a handful of cool places as well.

One of my favorites is in Homestead, Miami Brewing Co. awesome venue. Beers aren’t anything phenomenal but they’re decent. Frequented M.I.A. in Doral. If you’re into sours, check out Tripping Animals. Also from Doral. Wynwood has a handful of cool places as well.
I love the venue from Miami brewing Co. I used to work at Schnebly's winery for a few months as a barback. So after my shift I get free beer shift drinks and they where great. I like M.I.A. I've been wanting to check out the distillery they opened a while back. i love tripping animals. I had an interview for an intern/production and met the owner. Totally cool people tried a few sours that where phenomenal and drank a beer with him during the interview. Spanish marie is also a great place for sours as well in the kendall area. The old Dog fish place in miami/wynwood had a few great experimental sours. I had the good opportunity to grab some canned before they closed. J wakefield from Wynwood has some pretty good sours as well

Thanks!

Ft Lauderdale has great stuff. Funky Buddha is the only one I tried and i loved their take on the seasonal coquito. The Rum barrel-aged imperial cream ale. I wanna try hollywood brewing stuff at some point

I think the one I'm remembering in Ft Lauderdale was Lauder Ales, near the ship terminal.
We've been to Hollywood Brewing, liked it. Their Mango Pale was great, but didn't keep in cans.

Greetings from Wisconsin and Welcome to the gang!

I just returned from a Florida trip, Merritt Island to be exact. Visiting my mom and brother but also sampling the local brews. I've been down your way on past trips and have sampled local offerings, but it's been some time. and long over due.

I love the venue from Miami brewing Co. I used to work at Schnebly's winery for a few months as a barback. So after my shift I get free beer shift drinks and they where great. I like M.I.A. I've been wanting to check out the distillery they opened a while back. i love tripping animals. I had an interview for an intern/production and met the owner. Totally cool people tried a few sours that where phenomenal and drank a beer with him during the interview. Spanish marie is also a great place for sours as well in the kendall area. The old Dog fish place in miami/wynwood had a few great experimental sours. I had the good opportunity to grab some canned before they closed. J wakefield from Wynwood has some pretty good sours as well
When you mentioned winery I wondered if it was Schnebly’s. Cool place! I never got a chance to hit up Dogfish once they opened, but I loved Concrete Beach that was there before. Really loved the venue. Beat Culture is a cool little one. Went there once and they had an Alt on tap that was pretty good. Lincoln’s Beard was always my go to when I needed to hit the homebrew shop because it’s right around the corner from there

Enough of this introduction. What do you guys think of the beer from Miami & FL keys?
I still like Wynwood Brewing co. they come out with a few interesting batches from time to time. plus the first brewery in Dade I believe.
Lincoln Beard was my go to for a couple of years while I was temporarily living in the area, I still stop by when in the area.
Just recently visited (post pandemic) Unseen Creatures ... they have good beer, nice venue. will be coming back. Just before the pandemic I used to work in Doral, so I visited M.I.A. a lot (recently saw an article that their distributor won't sell their beer locally, and because of some clause won't allow them to get out of it, interesting article)... Tripping Animals is good. I like TANK (lil pricey compared to other breweries around). Haven't been to Biscayne Brew but they have a decent IPA..
Agree with the comments above Miami Brewing co. amazing setup and venue, but the beer is just ok, they definitely get a lot of business though.
Concrete (now Dog Fish Head - well weren't they technically Dog Fish Head since they owned Concrete anyway?) is not bad.
La Tropical is not bad (Heineken sponsored/owned?).
Keep hearing about Unbranded. I've been wanting to check that one out and go for one of the M.A.S.H. meetings but work schedule is difficult.
Funky Buddha is a great venue.
Haven't seen much brewery action in the Keys, then again haven't been down there for brewery runs, might have to google to see if there's anything new.
north bound: In West Palm Beach, Civil Society is one of my favorites... I've been to both locations, the one in the store front center and the warehouse by the airport. great place, great beer.
Tampa - Green Bench is on my To-do list, Cigar City is a good spot, and found Escape Brewing this past year, one of my favorites in florida..small place but they are putting out Quality stuff.

I still like Wynwood Brewing co. they come out with a few interesting batches from time to time. plus the first brewery in Dade I believe.
Lincoln Beard was my go to for a couple of years while I was temporarily living in the area, I still stop by when in the area.
Just recently visited (post pandemic) Unseen Creatures ... they have good beer, nice venue. will be coming back. Just before the pandemic I used to work in Doral, so I visited M.I.A. a lot (recently saw an article that their distributor won't sell their beer locally, and because of some clause won't allow them to get out of it, interesting article)... Tripping Animals is good. I like TANK (lil pricey compared to other breweries around). Haven't been to Biscayne Brew but they have a decent IPA..
Agree with the comments above Miami Brewing co. amazing setup and venue, but the beer is just ok, they definitely get a lot of business though.
Concrete (now Dog Fish Head - well weren't they technically Dog Fish Head since they owned Concrete anyway?) is not bad.
La Tropical is not bad (Heineken sponsored/owned?).
Keep hearing about Unbranded. I've been wanting to check that one out and go for one of the M.A.S.H. meetings but work schedule is difficult.
Funky Buddha is a great venue.
Haven't seen much brewery action in the Keys, then again haven't been down there for brewery runs, might have to google to see if there's anything new.
north bound: In West Palm Beach, Civil Society is one of my favorites... I've been to both locations, the one in the store front center and the warehouse by the airport. great place, great beer.
Tampa - Green Bench is on my To-do list, Cigar City is a good spot, and found Escape Brewing this past year, one of my favorites in florida..small place but they are putting out Quality stuff.
I really liked the venue at Unbranded. Only been a couple times. Haven’t been to, but I’ve enjoyed some of the beers from Islamorada Brewing.m from the keys. There’s also Florida Keys brewery. Can’t remember any beers in particular but I talked my way into one of their mermaid tap handles at a beer tasting event. In Doral, is that Biscayne Brew new? There was Biscayne Bay at one point but I never saw them open after COVID. There was another one opening just before I left Prison Pals. Should check them out.

Back