Got some slurry from the fermenter to bottles. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemanBrew

Reaction score
Hi

I bottled yesterday, and after I had the half of the beers bottled, I accidentally knocked the autosiphon so that the slurry from the bottom got little mixed to the beer in fermenter. So the rest of the bottles have now more matte-color beer while the first bottles have clear beer.

Does the slurry settle to the bottom in some time?
If it does , will it affect the taste of the beer?

ps. I added priming sugars straight to bottles and bottled straight from the fermenter.

The slurry does settle to the bottom of the bottles and will likely be pretty much all settled by the time the beer has carbonated. When the beer is ready in 3 to 4 weeks, a few days in the refrigerator will help with settling any that is left and compact it so you can pour the beer off the top without getting it into the glass. A slow, steady pour is what you want.

Yes the slurry will affect the taste of the beer if you don't leave it in the bottle when you pour.

The slurry does settle to the bottom of the bottles and will likely be pretty much all settled by the time the beer has carbonated. When the beer is ready in 3 to 4 weeks, a few days in the refrigerator will help with settling any that is left and compact it so you can pour the beer off the top without getting it into the glass. A slow, steady pour is what you want.

Yes the slurry will affect the taste of the beer if you don't leave it in the bottle when you pour.

This is what I hoped. I didn´t spoil my beer. And yes, I´ll leave the slurry to the bottle. Thanks

i almost always get some of the slurry into my bottling bucket. If I give it a few minutes sitting still before I start bottling most of it settles out in the bucket.....but being a tightwad, I tilt the bottling bucket at the end to try to get all the beer I made into bottles. Although cautioned against it, I'll even save the final half bottle and cap that. It's scary opening that half bottle because with all the space above the beer filled with CO2 it sound like the bottle should have exploded.

If you pour a Sierra Nevada into a glass you will notice a small amount at the bottom of their bottles. Most big brewery’s usually filter their beer to help clear it up. No biggy. It’s all part of the natural process

Back