Getting enough yeast for 10gal+ batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey all,

Basically I want to know how you guys get enough yeast for batches larger then the traditional 5gallon batch, other then just buying more.

Currently I have one, 2L flask I use for starters, and one stir plate. I have successfully harvested and re-used yeast from previous batches (one 5gal batch will typically produce enough yeast for 3-4 more 5gal batches, in my experience). But the problem I run into is that if I wait longer then a week to re-use the harvested yeast, I believe I need to make a starter. With one 2L flask and one stir plate, I run into equipment constraints. Is there a way to go about this without buying a larger flask, or a second 2L flask and stir plate? If I plan a 10gal brew a week ahead a time, do you think it would be ok to make 1 starter 1 week out, transfer that to another sanitized jar once its finished out on the stir plate(approx 3 days), and then go ahead and make a second starter while the first starter sits in the fridge for a few days?

I hope that all makes sense. I know there is a solution to my problem, but I'd rather not buy more equipment if I don't have to, or just more yeast. I like harvesting and reusing.

Agree I bought 1 gallon growlers from my lhbs for around 4 dollars and that is what I use if I need to make a big starter. I also at times will harvest yeast and if it sets a while just do a small starter to check to be sure its viable.
I have used yeast that's been in the fridge for over a month and it was fine.
Ive read people who have used yeast that was older than that with success.
Also as a bit of insurance I usually keep enough dry yeast around just in case something goes wrong. Once the dry yeast comes near its due date use that for a brew and get some new packs.
I store my dry yeast in the fridge and never had any issues with that.

I've experimented a bit with larger containers that weren't originally intended to be used for yeast starters, and I usually have issues with the stir bar staying where it should. It seems growlers would suffer form this as all the ones I've seen have curved bottoms?

I'll have to keep an eye out.

I've experimented a bit with larger containers that weren't originally intended to be used for yeast starters, and I usually have issues with the stir bar staying where it should. It seems growlers would suffer form this as all the ones I've seen have curved bottoms?

I'll have to keep an eye out.

Good point I forgot I had this issue at first.
I have a stir plates that are made out of cigar boxes. Costs almost nothing to make. But I used to have the top solid and just set my flask on it with no problem. So I cut a hole in the top and moved the magnets closer to the bottom of the starter container. They are probably about 1/8 of an inch or less away and I have never threw a magnet since.

Do 2 step starter. This is what I do for a 10.5 gallon batch of 1.050 lager.

Make a 1.9L starter (from a single vial/pouch) for 24-36 hours then cold crash overnight, decant and put a fresh charge of boiled and chilled wort on top of the cake to run another 1.9L starter for 24 hours.

With a stir plate each time you could go from 100B -> 1st step = 334B -> second step = 662B.

Dobes, I'll see if I can modify my stir plate.

Kegwrangler, thanks for the feedback but I think 1.9L of wort/yeast in my 2L flask will make a mess.

I know the best solution is probably just to find a larger container, and do a 2 step starter. That would solve my issue. The only negative to that would be when I like to use two different yeasts, just for the sake of variety.

Basically I want to know how you guys get enough yeast for batches larger then the traditional 5gallon batch, other then just buying more.

I collect the appropriate amount of slurry from a 5 gallon batch and re-pitch it for larger batches, either 1/4 or 1/2 keg occasionally.

So I guess I make a five gallon starter with hops, then keg the starter and reuse the yeast :mug:

Stir plate isn't even necessary; it's only a nice, fancy tool to speed things up a bit.

Just make a starter in a 1 gallon jug and let it ferment for a few days; starter done. It doesn't need to be scientific and high-tech, just do it.

Latest posts

Back