Maibock yeast instead of WPL833?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Some years back did a Maibock and pretty sure I used WPL833.

Planning to do another and I typically order from Midwest Supplies but appears they don't have 833.

Looks like for their Maibock recipes Midwest suggests 34/70 dry, Imperial L17 Harvest or Omega OYL-111. They also carry Wyeast 2206 which I see mentioned re. Maibock too.

I have 2L and 5L flasks for starters if/as necessary.

I'd like the 833 but since they don't seem to have it (and I prefer single order) thoughts and recommendations for yeast?

Last edited:
Those are all great yeasts. OYL-111 is supposedly equivalent to WLP833, so I might start there. Or just use whichever one is the cheapest. Interestingly... WLP833 would have probably been the most expensive. Save a few bucks by trying something new.

With whatever you pick... yes you should make a starter. Size depends on how big a batch you're making. Assuming 5 gallons, 3 to 4 liters would be appropriate. The exception would be dry yeast like W-34/70, with that you could skip a starter, makes life easier, but I do think the liquid yeasts are superior to it.

Enjoy.

I have roughly a week off for the holidays so hoping to squeeze this in if the stuff arrives quickly enough. FWIW, picked the OYL-111.

I'm pretty sure I used Wyeast 2206 although I don't have my notes on me. I'd rank it at or near the top of my favorites brews in 2023.

I still have a mason jar full of the yeast slurry from that brew that is probably useless now 🤦‍♂️

I'm pretty sure I used Wyeast 2206 although I don't have my notes on me. I'd rank it at or near the top of my favorites brews in 2023.

I still have a mason jar full of the yeast slurry from that brew that is probably useless now 🤦‍♂️
This is what I use, and my go to for malty lagers in general. Definitely would be my rec.

Some years back did a Maibock and pretty sure I used WPL833.

Planning to do another and I typically order from Midwest Supplies but appears they don't have 833.

Looks like for their Maibock recipes Midwest suggests 34/70 dry, Imperial L17 Harvest or Omega OYL-111. They also carry Wyeast 2206 which I see mentioned re. Maibock too.

I have 2L and 5L flasks for starters if/as necessary.

I'd like the 833 but since they don't seem to have it (and I prefer single order) thoughts and recommendations for yeast?
L17 Harvest (Augustiner strain) or WLP 860 (also Augie) or OYL-114 Bayern would all work well. Don't overlook L26 (Andechs) or WLP835x, any of which will produce a nice Maibock. I've got one on tap that fermented with Andechs and is very nice.

The OYL-111 yeastie boys are chewing through those sugars as we speak, but I appreciate all the suggestions for future consideration!!

The OYL-111 yeastie boys are chewing through those sugars as we speak, but I appreciate all the suggestions for future consideration!!
They'll have a lot of chewing to do. Mine came out at 7.4%, 4# pilsner, 3# Munich, 2# Vienna, and a pinch of carapils and acidulated. Half an ounce of Blackprinze for color made it too dark for my liking. Magnum for bittering @ FWH and :30 minutes, Mittelfruh @ :15 and :05. Tasty.

Latest posts

Back