Funky Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Young Brewing

Apartment Brewer 🍻
Reaction score
I decided to make a fruited cider before leaving the country for 2 weeks and came back to an empty airlock & some wild bugs! This is my first infected batch so seeing pellicle this close made me a little queasy, but I love the picture that came from it.

I am assuming it is either lacto or brett because the cider still smells and tastes very fruity (no acetic acid yet), but is there any way to know for sure? I am thinking about racking to the keg tomorrow to avoid any possible off-flavors from an unwanted bug, but I am also considering letting it ride to see if I can make a funky / tart cider. Does anyone have any experience with an 'unintentional' mixed fermentation cider?

IMG_1561.jpeg

I am assuming it is either lacto or brett
It could be any number of things. Contrary to popular misinformation, it's not even clear whether Lactobacillus typically forms a pellicle. Most likely there are many different organisms present. Fruit is covered with them.

To avoid off-flavors, I would recommend drastically reducing the amount of head space. Some of my best ciders have been fully spontaneous fermentations from unpasteurized juice.

Sometimes these pellicled ciders turn out great. I've made a few that I've enjoyed, and tasted dozens of funky commercial ciders. Let it ride for a few months. If you want a baseline, look around for Spanish, Basque, or Asturian cider. They LOVE it around that part of western Europe. I currently have a couple of bottles from specialty liquor stores that I've encountered. Canada has some good examples too but they really don't export as far as I know.

It could be any number of things. Contrary to popular misinformation, it's not even clear whether Lactobacillus typically forms a pellicle. Most likely there are many different organisms present. Fruit is covered with them.

To avoid off-flavors, I would recommend drastically reducing the amount of head space. Some of my best ciders have been fully spontaneous fermentations from unpasteurized juice.
Oh wow that’s interesting, I had always assumed that lacto would! Do you know if wine yeasts are able to form a Pellicle? I used Lallemand D-47 for this batch and am now wondering if it’s just the yeast protecting itself.

Sometimes these pellicled ciders turn out great. I've made a few that I've enjoyed, and tasted dozens of funky commercial ciders. Let it ride for a few months. If you want a baseline, look around for Spanish, Basque, or Asturian cider. They LOVE it around that part of western Europe. I currently have a couple of bottles from specialty liquor stores that I've encountered. Canada has some good examples too but they really don't export as far as I know.
I was super impressed with the cider in Spain! None particularly funky, but the ones I had were more tart than I am used to.

I Will definitely let this one ride out to see if anything develops. So far samples taste really good and have this very earthy fermentation character to them. Almost like an overripe fruit character that I really enjoy.

Back