Frozen beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanL

Reaction score
I was wondering what I can do with frozen beer, had it carbonating in my keezer and something when a wrong and it froze the beer?
Thanks 16172856704459157492776224836575.jpg

Just let it defrost.
But first check for possible damage to the kegs, beer lines and connections, and keep an eye on it while it's defrosting, in case something got cracked.
Kegs are pretty resilient, but when they're very (very!) full, there could be serious integrity issues when they freeze up.

I have them out already sitting in the tub, thanks I will check everything before I hook everything up again.
The beer should be fine?

you could transfer what is not frozen to another keg. and have a keg of super strong ice beer LOL

Thanks everyone the frozen brew turned out great 🍻

Attachments

• 20201211_170939.jpg
    20201211_170939.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210420-031057_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-031057_Messenger.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 7
not going to damage a keg by freezing it. Water expands to it's maximum volume around 4' F I believe before slightly contracting when it freezes solid.

anyway, as it expands and pressure builds, the relief valve is going to bleed off the excess pressure. Unless you got a pin lock keg, then all bets are off.

Beer has alcohol...was it a "lite" beer? Or did your kezzer control get set too low?

My old 1947 fridge can drop into the upper 20s and occasionally will freeze low ABV beer in the serving line if it's touching the ice box.

Back