FotHB III: Coatee-cha tu yub nub!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDXX1971

Reaction score
Welcome to the third Fellowship of the Home Brew trade thread!!

This thread is all about sharing home brew with one another. I love my brew and it makes me very proud to be able to make it, I know you must feel the same. So from my house to yours, Lets get together and celebrate this great freedom of ours, HOME BREW!

So how does it work?
1. If you're interested in participating, let us know in this thread.
2. Send me descriptions of your Home Brew offerings.
3. A few days before the drawing I will post a full list of all the offerings along with posting the randomized pick order in 5min intervals.
4. If you are not going to be around for the pick send me a pick list order so that I can put your pick in for you.
5. On pick day, show up at your time slot to submit your pick. If you sent me a pick list I'll cover you. If you fail to send a list or show up you go to the end of the line.

Rules, there must be rules..
- Continental US residents only
- Must be of legal drinking age (I feel dumb having to actually type that, but prefer not to risk getting thumped by Yooper)
- Participants must have at least 1 iTrader rating, of course 100% positive, otherwise, just PM me your mail trading experience.
- The final rule is the participant must give feedback on itrader of their experience.

Offer Guidelines
- Minimum offerings are 4-12oz bottles of your favorite Home brew; ANY beer style along with ciders, meades, hard lemonaids, etc.
- If possible, 4 different styles, but we understand how difficult that can be so no flogging if it's not possible. :)
- Be willing to share recipe and explain your brewing techniques to those who request.
- Be willing to give constructive and useful feedback on the home brew you received to aid our fellow brewer if requested.
- Guidelines are just that, guidelines. Final shipments may, and many times do, exceed the offering posted. Extras are not required however.

Current Timeline
Sunday 2/11 offers due to be submitted to me by PM

Entry closed; YOU SHALL NOT PASS

As far as the rest of the timeline

Saturday 02/17/2018 @ 9:00 a.m PST picking will commence

Picks will be at approximately 5 min intervals

So let it begin............

Last edited:
Fellowship of the Drink - FotHB III: Coatee-cha tu yub nub!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Participation & Offer Status

Active Participants with Offers:

JDXX1971
PianoMan
fourfarthing
TwistedGray
jerbrew
GaBrewZoo
DadeO
pshankstar

Active Participants without Offers:
Thorrak

Last edited:
Interested for sure, but nothing to offer at the moment. Haven't had a ton of time for brewing this fall/winter but definitely following this thread.

Interested for sure, but nothing to offer at the moment. Haven't had a ton of time for brewing this fall/winter but definitely following this thread.

Glad you could stop by. I only have a couple of new offerings myself but still have a bit of stash to pull from.

I finally got restocked, I'm in, and excited about this round.
IMG_20180115_1507424282.jpg

I will offer a pint of each home brew.
Foreign Extra Stout
Munich Dunkel
Cream Ale
Hard cider

Oh man you spilled the beans!! No really though the usual protocol for anyone wondering is to pm the op in the Fellowship trades. All good though no worries, I got your list entered, thank you, looks good too.

I will offer a pint of each home brew.
Foreign Extra Stout
Munich Dunkel
Cream Ale
Hard cider

I will not be offering any of these.

To be honest though, I have no idea what I’ll be offering. I have two beers in fermenters right now that are probably ready to carb, and a third and fourth I plan to brew this weekend. Hopefully at least one of them is good, or someone will be getting a lot of mediocre beer.

1 out of three good beers? What issues do you have generally? Recipe, process, sanitation?
Good question. I've moved from 5gal AG to 2.5gal PM brewing so still working out the bugs. PMs are coming out dryer then I typically like. So process.

Traditionally, stouts/Belgiums are in the good to great range whereas IPAs are all over, from dumping to really good. For me it's technique and consistency based on styles.

I sanitize EVERYTHING. All gets a spray with Starsans so I'm 99.99% sure my bad beer is NOT sanitation.

Once switching to RO water and used Brew'n Water to remineralizing and get pH to proper range, beer got much better. Once I started fermentation temp control, beer got much better. (In reverse order, I temp controlled before using BrewnWater) Truly one main issue is with NEIPAs which I believe has been resolved. One going now to test new technique.

As far as recipes, unless your substituting corn bread or Frosted Flakes with 2row, probably not an issue. There's hundreds of good recipes out there for every style. However, yeast character plays a BIG part in final product so learn which flavors you like, such as I now know English stouts and coconut don't mix, pitch in the ballpark of the correct amount and do some type of temp control you should be good.

Just my 2 cents..good luck!

Edit: Bum just woke up, I see that was directed to Thor...

Last edited:
1 out of three good beers? What issues do you have generally? Recipe, process, sanitation?

Everything is brewed on a PicoBrew Zymatic, and I tend to be fairly obsessive about sanitation. The biggest thing I struggle with is acetaldehyde - I have yet to brew a Pale Ale/IPA that didn't reek of the stuff. I've got a NEIPA in the fermenter though, that someone may end up suffering from. ;)

Good question. I've moved from 5gal AG to 2.5gal PM brewing so still working out the bugs. PMs are coming out dryer then I typically like. So process.

Traditionally, stouts/Belgiums are in the good to great range whereas IPAs are all over, from dumping to really good. For me it's technique and consistency based on styles.

I sanitize EVERYTHING. All gets a spray with Starsans so I'm 99.99% sure my bad beer is NOT sanitation.

Once switching to RO water and used Brew'n Water to remineralizing and get pH to proper range, beer got much better. Once I started fermentation temp control, beer got much better. (In reverse order, I temp controlled before using BrewnWater) Truly one main issue is with NEIPAs which I believe has been resolved. One going now to test new technique.

As far as recipes, unless your substituting corn bread or Frosted Flakes with 2row, probably not an issue. There's hundreds of good recipes out there for every style. However, yeast character plays a BIG part in final product so learn which flavors you like, such as I now know English stouts and coconut don't mix, pitch in the ballpark of the correct amount and do some type of temp control you should be good.

Just my 2 cents..good luck!

Edit: Bum just woke up, I see that was directed to Thor...

I.. uh.. kind of wonder what would happen if I subbed frosted flakes for 2 row in a saison...

Hmmmmmmmm.

I.. uh.. kind of wonder what would happen if I subbed frosted flakes for 2 row in a saison...

Hmmmmmmmm.
Haha! I said that because Pinthouse Pizza does an experiment and introduces 5gal every tuesday. A year or so ago they did a beer with Frosted Flakes. I didn't get a chance to try it..[emoji37]

Everything is brewed on a PicoBrew Zymatic, and I tend to be fairly obsessive about sanitation. The biggest thing I struggle with is acetaldehyde - I have yet to brew a Pale Ale/IPA that didn't reek of the stuff. I've got a NEIPA in the fermenter though, that someone may end up suffering from. ;)
Here's my..ummm... 1/5th cent..I don't dump all the wort into the fermenter. I leave out a lot..proteins and hop material. Use whorlflocc and only DH at day 2 or 3 fermentation. Cold crash. This resolved my acetaldehyde issue.

Shoot...my stuff won't drink itself! Whats the time line? [emoji482]

Soon, I will have some sort of timeline figured out today.

We have nine, maybe we can get ten or eleven?

Yeah no, now only eight, Maplegrovealeworks had to drop out. Drank all his beer I guess, I am trying to be careful not to do that.

I just popped in to say Kudos on the thread title. I'm not ashamed to say I instantly recognized the lyrics from the many many times I listened to the ROTJ soundtrack. Ewok Celebration/Finale was of my favorites on that soundtrack.

And then Lucas goes and replaces it with some other lame song for the re-issue!

Also, I could be involved in this swap if you need someone. I don't have much in house at the moment, but I do have a couple one or two in process. And I can substitute a nice commercial if absolutely necessary.

Yeah I actually dont really know the song, I was looking for a catchy title and being as I am from the land of the redwoods and all, I thought it was perfect.

We would love to have you, let me know and I will put you on the list. As far as being ready, whatever, I trust you will send out when it is ready.

Back