forgot to boil sugar..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patroclos

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about my lager beer. I used DME instead of sugar. When preparing the wort, I forgot to boil the DME before adding to the wort. I have added DME, 3.5 liters of boiled water and beer kit altogether and stirred them well. So in this case is there a risk of infection? Another question is, for priming shall I boil the DME? or may I add DME just after opening the package without dissolving in boiled water?

Thanks for any comments,

Taskin

:mug::tank:

No. You'll be fine!
I would add dextrose/corn sugar (also known as brewing sugar) for bottling. It's your call. I've never boiled it. Are you adding it to a bottling bucket or putting it in each bottle individually?

You don't need to boil priming sugar. Just bil 2C of water a couple minutes, stir in the weighed amount of priming sugar till the water goes clear again. Cover & cool off the heat. If you're adding sugar to a recipe, I add it @ flame out & stir it in.
I've never primed with DME, but would likely treat it the same. As for adding DME to a recipe, once again, I add remaining extracts @ flame out. The reason being that the wort's still boiling hot, & pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F.

No. You'll be fine!
I would add dextrose/corn sugar (also known as brewing sugar) for bottling. It's your call. I've never boiled it. Are you adding it to a bottling bucket or putting it in each bottle individually?

Well I have only one bucket. So I was considering to put priming DME in my primary fermentation bucket then bottle from there. Do I have to put it in another bucket or is it okay this way?
By the way, I haven't used or bought brewing sugar. Does it make a significant difference to use brewing sugar?
Thanks!

You use more DME than dextrose (corn sugar) & it costs more. Table sugar (sucrose) & cane (demerara being raw cane) uses a different amount as well. And a bottling bucket with spigot to connect a piece of tubing & the bottling wand would definitely give clearer ber a lot easier. Here's a priming calculator that'll tell how much of what to use; http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator

Well I have only one bucket. So I was considering to put priming DME in my primary fermentation bucket then bottle from there. Do I have to put it in another bucket or is it okay this way?
By the way, I haven't used or bought brewing sugar. Does it make a significant difference to use brewing sugar?
Thanks!

You'd have to stir it, which would unsettle the stuff at the bottom (trub). If I was you, I'd put the dme in each bottle. Use the calculator above to determine how much.

Too little is better than too much...

Indeed, get a bottling bucket! A nice bucket with a spigot. It will make bottling easier and help you get rid of the stuff on the bottom of your bucket that you don't want to put in a bottle.

Yes, bottle-priming is better than stirring up the trub.

*EDIT* Don't listen to these guys, I bottle-prime every batch and it is fine, just a little time-consuming.

;)

This sort of set up is what I have. That's a beer wand attached to a tap. Do you live in the UK? If so, I can maybe recommend where to get them...

I'm guessing this is your first brew?

*picture found on internet - lost source to credit.

View attachment 1458286297939.jpg

I see that some like a short hose on a bottling bucket. If you are handling each bottle individually, that's good. I like to take a case of bottles in their box and fill one after the other using a longer hose so I don't have to move any bottles until I have filled a case.

You use more DME than dextrose (corn sugar) & it costs more. Table sugar (sucrose) & cane (demerara being raw cane) uses a different amount as well. And a bottling bucket with spigot to connect a piece of tubing & the bottling wand would definitely give clearer ber a lot easier. Here's a priming calculator that'll tell how much of what to use; http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator

if the only issue for using DME is the higher costs then I'm okay with that. Because this is my first batch I want to make a good one as a start but wil think about costs later on :)
By the way thanks for the calculator. It really looks like a good one :mug:

This sort of set up is what I have. That's a beer wand attached to a tap. Do you live in the UK? If so, I can maybe recommend where to get them...

I'm guessing this is your first brew?

*picture found on internet - lost source to credit.

Well I have a similar bucket which I'm using for primary fermentation. But don't have any spare one to use for bottling. I'm living in Turkey, well I see that in UK or USA you have plenty of resources there for brewing but we have quiet limited resources here. But it's still better than nothing :)
And this is my first batch yes. You can see it from my question huh? :)

Thanks to everyone for sparing time for my questions. Your comments are really appreciated. I think I have to use bottle priming in my case. Thanks Slym2none for your recommendations.

Another thing is, I have read some posts about post bottling procedures.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=94812#post1030387 in this thread at post number 8 it says I shall wait nearly at room temperature for 3 weeks to carbonate the beer. then chill it for some another weeks. But I see that some people say different things about carbonation and conditioning. So for lager beers according to your experiences is this a good process after bottling?

Thank you very much for all answers mates.

Today I have bottled my first batch as title mentions. Woosha i have seen your message too late, after bottling, so didn't put DME in the primary bucket. I put on each bottle seperately and calculated amount according to calculator in the link shared above.
However I have observed something wierd during bottling. When I transfered beer from bucket to bottle I saw that the beer was already quite carbonated. I had two choice during bottling. Either I had to fill bottle low level(roughly 4/5 of bottle) to prevent overflowing or I had to overflow the bottle to fill it properly so that there will be small space left for air.
I prefered the second choice to fill bottles properly but I had to waste some of my beer in this way(nearly lost 2-3 liters). In the videos I had watched I saw that beer were not that carbonated. Initial SG of my beer was 1.042, final SG before bottling was 1.012(1 month in primary). Considering this is a lager can I think this as a normal occurance?

Thanks,

:mug:

It shouldn't be carbonated... I think that it was probably just air. Next time, fill them until the bubbles get to the top, then wait for the bubbles to die down and fill to the level you want.

Have you put your bottles away from humans? In the event of you carbonating a beer that hasn't finished (it seems unlikely as you had it in the primary for a month) then the bottles could explode...

Have you put your bottles away from humans? In the event of you carbonating a beer that hasn't finished (it seems unlikely as you had it in the primary for a month) then the bottles could explode...

I also ckecked SG before bottling. It dropped from 1042 to 1012. So I thought fermentation is over. But during primary fermentation only for the first week I saw bubbles coming out of airlock. For the rest 3 weeks it just stayed still. Perhaps co2 inside the bucket carbonated because it couldn't get out?

What you saw was dissolved Co2 from fermenting. A cold liquid will hold more of the gas than a warm one. so when the fermenters cold, more Co2 stays in solution. When it warms up, the fermenter will off-gas through the airlock. This is why the priming calculator asks for the highest temp the batch got to. It's trying to calculate how much to prime, with the dissolved Co2, to get to the desired Volumes of Co2 expressed as a number. Like 2.3, 2.5, etc.

Thanks uniondr for the explanation. It made feel more reliefed. According to calculator I need to put 144 gr. of DME for my batch. Now I realized that I made a mistake with my calculations and as far as I remember total amount I put in the bottles makes a sum of 160 gr. roughly. This 16 gr. excess of DME won't cause overcarbonation I hope.
I put 4 gr in each bottle. Some bottles measured 5 gr unfortunately. And totally 37 bottles of half liters. I hope it will end fine :)

Thanks woosha for your recommendadtions. I actually used a bottling wand but still I got those bubbles. And I'll definitely consider using sugar over DME. It's quite difficult to deal with DME especially when bottle priming.

I hope to have some pictures of my beer in the following weeks. But I'm considering to keep them more than 2 weeks. 3 for carbonation and another three (at least) for conditioning. In the mean time I'll be designing some labels :)

Thanks everyone for all help during all phases.

:mug:

Carbonation & Conditioning happen at the same time. 3 weeks, maybe 4 will do fine. A week in the fridge & they're ready. For the average gravity beer, that is.

37.gif

39.gif
68.gif
I put each bottle individually but next time I'll use a bottling bucket. About sugar , I wanted to make it %100 malt but I see that putting brewing sugar makes no difference in means of taste. Besides it is much easier to deal with

I put each bottle individually but next time I'll use a bottling bucket. About sugar , I wanted to make it %100 malt but I see that putting brewing sugar makes no difference in means of taste. Besides it is much easier to deal with

The message you just replied to was from a SPAM account. It copied what I wrote earlier on...

Back