f'n yeast prices!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i've been repitching nottingham since 12-2018.....i got 5 packs for $19...which is still high now they f'n want $10 a pack!!!! i finally broke down and bought a 500g brick of wine yeast for beer, $30....at around an ounce a year should last me a while....

any thoughts on my choice of premiere blanc? think that'd be better for ale's or lagers? can't wait to try it out in a stout! :mug:

edit: and @RPh_Guy , if they get wise to my scheming....got any tips how i can breed baker's yeast to flocc good? i've grown mushrooms and know my way around a petri dish, and sterile technique.....

Seriously, if someone is holding a gun to your head to make you pay that kind of price for freakin' Notty, let us know.
We'll call up the cops...

Cheers!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lallemand-...219488&hash=item2ef90a6613:g:b4QAAOSwo4pYTZZq
$6.40 with shipping!

and here's the one that made me take the plunge to making "barley wine", lol

10 packs for the low, low, price of, wait what? $122 f'n dollars?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Packs...=131707253447b7566137ca57499dadca3e4ebb96f9f8

can anyone give me a heads up on the flocculation of premier blanc wine yeast?
well, Your mistake was looking on Ebay.
Morebeer has that same yeast at $4.49 for an 11g pack - or 500g for $139. if my math is right, that's 45 11g packs.
|I presume the other H|B supply shops will be a pretty similar price.
Personally I wouldn;t use wine yeast in beer -

with $3.80 for shipping.....so close to $8.....

A few dollars to ship something seems pretty normal nowadays, you just have to order more to spread the shipping out over multiple packs/other things :) Buy more to save on shipping!

Seriously, though, Farmhouse offers flat rate boxes so you can play around with the amounts and shipping weights.

Also, a 500g brick of Cali ale yeast from Morebeer is $70 with free shipping, not bad if you're not picky and want lots of beer yeast.

:mug:

Personally I wouldn;t use wine yeast in beer -

i've used baker's yeast before.....did it for a while, didn't mind the taste after i dumpped the first pour after, every pour...then i realized i was basicly dumping half my kegs down the drain....all i care about is flocculation, and i'm hoping, so do wine makers.....

A few dollars to ship something seems pretty normal nowadays,

and when i was a kid with mail order catalogs...they called it shipping included....now it's supposedly "free" :mischievous:

when i still shopped at amazon, there was that link for 'other sellers', and you could usually get a better deal on the item paying shipping, for a lower price on the item....but i stopped shopping amazon when they implemented their $25 minimum order......

Morebeer.com offers free shipping over $59 so I just order in bulk every few months and ship free. That yeast is 4.49.

Shop around. I've seen some yeasts for over $8 at one shop and less than $5 at another. Order a bunch at once, shipping for a dozen probably isn't much, if any, more than for one as long as it's less than 16 ounces which is the minimum rate for shipping.
Check out Label Peelers, they'll ship a single pack of dry yeast for free and they often have sales.

Shop around. I've seen some yeasts for over $8 at one shop and less than $5 at another. Order a bunch at once, shipping for a dozen probably isn't much, if any, more than for one as long as it's less than 16 ounces which is the minimum rate for shipping.
Check out Label Peelers, they'll ship a single pack of dry yeast for free and they often have sales.
Right now they have notty for $4.99.

Bakers yeast? Wine yeast? Sheesh. Sorry Bracco, you just went down a notch in my book, but that still puts you at a solid 9.

There are lots of highly flocculant beer strains that also have the advantage of producing good flavors in beer.
Also, and just IME, but I find that yeast is the one corner best left uncut when trying to cut back on brewing costs. Cheaping out on literally any other ingredient will have less of a negative impact on the finished product. Well except temp control, don't cheap out there either.

with $3.80 for shipping.....so close to $8.....
For 1...if you order 5 of them, with shipping it's $24.70, or $4.94/each. Did you really want to order just a single package of yeast?

Also, gonna point out the obvious... go to a LHBS if you can
I'm lucky...Farmhouse Brewing Supply is my LHBS! The guy is super friendly, and prices are very competitive! :ban::ban: Now I just need to brew more...

Did you really want to order just a single package of yeast?

lol, no....i want to order a 500g brick for the same price as baker's or wine yeast!

edit: seems like a scam.....if i have to, i'll use baker's yeast and push it through a filter to get the yeast out! ;)

Last edited:
Try RiteBrew

They give a discount if you buy 10 or more packets.

CellarScience Cali yeast (same as US-05) comes in under $2.00 if you buy 10. Order more than $50, they will give you another $5.00 off.

Be careful with 500 gm bricks. It is very easy to infect the yeast if you repackage it poorly.

It is very easy to infect the yeast if you repackage it poorly.

damn, J.J.'s going to kick a kick out of that! lol, i usually do fine just scooping the yeast cake into tuperware, and keeping it in the fridge, not too worried......(it goes down to eleven! ;))

edit: i do have an addition funnel...i could try and add the yeast to the beer with a closed transfer? i have a glove box with a D.O.E. HEPA filter and blower, i could open the package in sterile air and put it in a zip lock bag in sterile air? but i find that's a little over the top for beer....

(and don't take me seriously, i'm just joshin' ya! :D)

Last edited:
Back