First time re-hydrating and 'starting' dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Cosworth

Reaction score
This is the first time I have used something besides the coopers in the kit AND tried to re-hydrate and 'start it'. I am probably freaking out a bit more than I should.

I bought a S-04 dry yeast as my first hack to a brewhouse kit. I boiled 1 cup of water and let it set. I put it in an ice bath and let it set for a while. Here is where I was stupid, I didnt have a clean thermometer handy so I just went on the outside glass VIA my hand, it did feel cool before I added the little yeast friends. I mixed in the yeast, stirred it up with my handy hydrometer, and let it sit for 15 minutes. I also microwaved 1/2 a teaspoon of table sugar in about 1/3 of a cup of water to boil and let that sit. After about 10 minutes I mixed the two together and put them in my pantry (dark).

While I was dealing with this I was boiling the water for my wort mix. Once it was done I added everything together and had it on standby and did my initial readings (1.046). After about an hour it was bubbling and moving around a bit but there was no krausen yet. I was a little surprised and taken back because I was expecting more response (like the picture in How to Brew). Once it was bubbling pretty good I poured it into the Wort that was already set up in my basement.

Now the other two times I have done this, there was still bubbles on the top from mixing the Wort with the water and it seemed to sit there and the bubbles on the top never really dropped. Now, after I had poured it in, there just seems to be a lot sitting on the bottom, like how it reminds me about the last few days as everything settles before I wrack into the carboy.

Now I panicked thinking I killed the yeast so I started to re-hydrate and start the coopers that came with the kit. Now the only thing is that the way the coopers is starting now is almost identical to the S-04 I bought, so I am thinking either both are screwed or I am actually OK. I know it has only been about 5 hours and I should RWAHAHB. I am planning to not deal with it until tomorrow when I do a reading and see if there is any activity. I am just curious if someone can tell me if this is normal.

I guess what I am asking here, is it fairly normal that the yeast all seems to settle on the bottom so quickly? Do they 'wake up' and cycle the beer around to eat the sugar?

I use a bucket, so I can never see if they settle on the bottom, but if you had visible activity when you poured them from the "starter" into the ferementer, you'll most likely be fine. RDWHAHB.

I dont know which yeast will win the beer but it should be ok. If your just using dry yeast you don't need a complicated process. Boil or zap a half of a cup of water with a teaspoon of water or two. Let cool to warm. 80 - 90f. Add yeast. Stir.

Live yeast are worth putting time into. Dry yeast only get so good

Perfectly normal for it to settle on the bottom at first. I did the same last night and this morning they had started to rise and churn in the wort. You'll see a party within a day or so.

Your wasting time and effort by doing a starter for dry yeast. They only need to.sit in 90 degree water for 15 mins then stir into it. Rehydration is all they need which is completely different than doing starters for liquid yeast or harvested yeast being re-pitched....

Perfectly normal for it to settle on the bottom at first. I did the same last night and this morning they had started to rise and churn in the wort. You'll see a party within a day or so.

Thanks, I figured I was worrying (hence why I ended like I did). Good to know. :tank:

I dont know which yeast will win the beer but it should be ok. If your just using dry yeast you don't need a complicated process. Boil or zap a half of a cup of water with a teaspoon of water or two. Let cool to warm. 80 - 90f. Add yeast. Stir.

Live yeast are worth putting time into. Dry yeast only get so good

Your wasting time and effort by doing a starter for dry yeast. They only need to.sit in 90 degree water for 15 mins then stir into it. Rehydration is all they need which is completely different than doing starters for liquid yeast or harvested yeast being re-pitched....

I was just following the How to Brew for now. I am still too nervous (obviously) to make any assumptions on my own. I try and read a lot on here but sometimes there are more questions than answers.

Great community who helps out here. I do really appreciate it.

Thanks, I figured I was worrying (hence why I ended like I did). Good to know. :tank:

I was just following the How to Brew for now. I am still too nervous (obviously) to make any assumptions on my own. I try and read a lot on here but sometimes there are more questions than answers.

Great community who helps out here. I do really appreciate it.

It's all good. You're learning and seem interested in trying to do it right.

With dry yeast, all you should do is rehydrate in warm (95-100*F) tap water that has been previously boiled. Don't add sugar. There's no need to "proof" dry yeast. Sprinkle it in the water, let sit 15 min, stir it around, let sit another 5. Then you want to get the yeast slurry cooled down to within 10*F of the wort temp (which should be chilled to the low 60's). You do that by adding small amounts of the cooler wort to the slurry and letting it sit a few minutes. Repeat as needed then pitch.

Sanitizer - get some StarSan and use it. 1/5oz of concentrate makes a gallon of sanitizer. Put some in a spray bottle. Use it to sanitize things like thermometers, spoons, the yeast packet, scissors, etc. Anything that comes into contact with the chilled wort or the yeast ought to get dunked/sprayed in StarSan first.

Thanks guys, well I am getting some activity here. First time S-04 yeast so this could be normal. No strange colouring or anything but it isnt really bubbling as much as I was hoping. Been about 24 hours, doesnt smell bad. Not sure what an IPA with S-04 will be like. At least something is happening! hahaha

IMG_20131029_182212_zpsde5720d2.jpg

The temptation to open the bucket and look at it is strong. It is best, however, to leave it alone for another 10 days before checking the gravity. Every time you pop that lid off, it disturbs the protective layer of CO2 and gives microbial critters a chance to get into the beer.

The temptation to open the bucket and look at it is strong. It is best, however, to leave it alone for another 10 days before checking the gravity. Every time you pop that lid off, it disturbs the protective layer of CO2 and gives microbial critters a chance to get into the beer.

Thanks Floyd, self fufiling prophecy I guess. Worried about issue with beer, check beer often, cause issue with the beer. Haha

:drunk:

What he said. Next time you want to take a look: Stop. Take a deep breath. Walk away from the fermenter.
Trust me, the yeast are doing their thing.

WHat I do, and I use ale pails (buckets) myself for fermenters, is when I pitch and put it away in the basement for fermentation, I make sure that the lid is sealed as tight as I can make it, then insert the airlock. This is usually evening. I will check it the nect morning and evening, to make sure something is going on, the second day I will check once, then I will leave it completely alone for 2 to 3 weeks. Roughly 18 or 19 days after brew I will pop it to check gravity, then day 21 I will check again. Presuming the gravities are the same, I will bottle that day.

Thanks for the help guys. Didnt touch it, havent opened it, but you can tell from the outside that it is a going away.

If you use a sanitized pickle jar to rehydrate dried yeast you can check for viability easily. Screw the lid on about half tight after adding yeast to the water. Within about ten minutes you can hear gas being forced through the gap, and you will know that your yeast is alive.

Well racked into the secondary today. Looks and smells fantastic so all that worrying for nothing!

Back