Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Noto

Reaction score
Haven’t really brewed for a good 6 months but I’m trying to get a recipe for a good Marzen. I plan to do a decoction, and have a 3 vessel AG set up with 2 whirlpool pumps and a counterflow chiller. I have a pretty good idea of the steps involved ( I’ve done a couple pilsners already) as far as lagering, just need some help for making a good grain bill and hop combination. Any direction would be appreciated. Cheers!

This in one of my favorite beers. I like the old style, darker Marzen over the more modern and lighter Festbier. Here is my basic outline to get started:

60% German dark Munich (10-12L)
20% German Vienna (3-4L)
20% German Pilsner

Use your favorite German noble hop in two additions, one for bittering 60 or more minutes and one for a touch of flavor & aroma to balance for 20 minutes.

OG ~1.060
IBUs ~26

My first Marzen was brewed in March and let it lager until the end of Sept for a party. Turned out well.

Going to do a Marzen and a Festbier this year for an October festival

Munich
Pilsner
Crystal 40

Hallertau @60 & 15

Wlp830

Attachments

• 20190925_155114.jpg
    20190925_155114.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 14
This in one of my favorite beers. I like the old style, darker Marzen over the more modern and lighter Festbier. Here is my basic outline to get started:

60% German dark Munich (10-12L)
20% German Vienna (3-4L)
20% German Pilsner

Use your favorite German noble hop in two additions, one for bittering 60 or more minutes and one for a touch of flavor & aroma to balance for 20 minutes.

OG ~1.060
IBUs ~26
I also like to keep it a little more traditional. That’s similar to my recipe. Munich 52%, Vienna 27%, Pilsner 14% and I add a small amount of Caramunich 3 (7%) for a little color and flavor. Mittelfrueh hops at 60 and 10 for 22 IBUs.
B42C98DA-1E1D-4585-985A-2945BF654287.jpeg

this one (from Mean Brews) is on my list - I probably will not brew it until late July - just don't want to tie up my keezer with it for quite so many months as I picture drinking this one when vest weather just starts rolling back around
Fermentation
primary — 49 °F7 days

diacetyl — 56 °F14 days

Lager — 34 °F29 days

I also like to keep it a little more traditional. That’s similar to my recipe. Munich 52%, Vienna 27%, Pilsner 14% and I add a small amount of Caramunich 3 (7%) for a little color and flavor. Mittelfrueh hops at 60 and 10 for 22 IBUs.
View attachment 761584
Why did you go with the caramunich if you don’t mind me asking? Did you do a single decoction?

This is all great stuff guys! I appreciate all the input, anything I should be particularly aware of with this style of lager?

This is all great stuff guys! I appreciate all the input, anything I should be particularly aware of with this style of lager?

As with any lager, pay attention to the details. Keep an eye on your temperatures from the mash, to fermentation, and on to lagering. Don't cheat on ingredients. Buy qualtity German malts and use an appropriate yeast.

Why did you go with the caramunich if you don’t mind me asking? Did you do a single decoction?
Now you put me on the spot! When I want to try a new style, I look at lots of published recipes and try to pick out similarities and discard all the things that seem to be weird. I saw Caramunich in many of them. Some sources I found said a little bit of crystal was acceptable and German Caramunich seemed to fit the bill. I think it helps with the malt backbone and certainly helps give it that deep reddish copper color. I definitely don’t have a delicate enough palate to pick out all the different flavors, let alone understand what they all mean. This is a description of what a Märzen is “supposed” to be—
Appearance
The color of this beer ranges from an amber orange to a deep reddish copper. It should not be any shade of gold. Excellent clarity due to the long lagering process. Nice off white head with a good retention.
Aroma
A clean and deep malty richness will be most of the aroma. German malt has a slight toasted, bready quality, with light bread crust aroma as well. There should be no caramel, biscuit, or roasted malt aromas. Clean lager characteristics with no hop aroma.
Flavor
The flavor should be the same as the aroma. No caramel, biscuit, or roasted flavors. Complex bready and toasty malt character really carries the flavor in this beer. Hops should be low or none at all.
Any hop character should be of German noble variety, showing floral, spicy, and herbal characteristics.

I don’t do decoction mashes. Single infusion works well for me.

Last edited:
Now you put me on the spot! When I want to try a new style, I look at lots of published recipes and try to pick out similarities and discard all the things that seem to be weird. I saw Caramunich in many of them. Some sources I found said a little bit of crystal was acceptable and German Caramunich seemed to fit the bill. I think it helps with the malt backbone and certainly helps give it that deep reddish copper color. I definitely don’t have a delicate enough palate to pick out all the different flavors, let alone understand what they all mean. This is a description of what a Märzen is “supposed” to be—
Appearance
The color of this beer ranges from an amber orange to a deep reddish copper. It should not be any shade of gold. Excellent clarity due to the long lagering process. Nice off white head with a good retention.
Aroma
A clean and deep malty richness will be most of the aroma. German malt has a slight toasted, bready quality, with light bread crust aroma as well. There should be no caramel, biscuit, or roasted malt aromas. Clean lager characteristics with no hop aroma.
Flavor
The flavor should be the same as the aroma. No caramel, biscuit, or roasted flavors. Complex bready and toasty malt character really carries the flavor in this beer. Hops should be low or none at all.
Any hop character should be of German noble variety, showing floral, spicy, and herbal characteristics.

I don’t do decoction mashes. Single infusion works well for me.
… and after reading Weyermann’s description of Caramunich 3, it’s exactly what my description above says it shouldn’t be. :agressive:
Like I said, I don’t know what I’m tasting… except I think that beer tastes good.

For a "little extra something" in my marzen (base is just Munich and Vienna), I use a small amount of aromatic. Don't remember if I saw it somewhere or came up with it on my own, but it's essentially just a really dark (~20L) Munich malt, so it seemed appropriate (I wanted to avoid any and all crystal).
I also do a single decoction since it makes me feel good. And I like wyeast 2206 for this style.

For a "little extra something" in my marzen (base is just Munich and Vienna), I use a small amount of aromatic. Don't remember if I saw it somewhere or came up with it on my own, but it's essentially just a really dark (~20L) Munich malt, so it seemed appropriate (I wanted to avoid any and all crystal).
I also do a single decoction since it makes me feel good. And I like wyeast 2206 for this style.
I'm currently drinking a Dunkel bock that used some aromatic. I like it.

I’m also trying to avoid crystal with this particular grain bill. Nothing wrong with crystal obviously. I just have a pretty solid base expectation for the character I’m shooting for for this one. I REALLY like the idea for a small 5-7% dark Munich malt addition for sure though.

I’m also trying to avoid crystal with this particular grain bill. Nothing wrong with crystal obviously. I just have a pretty solid base expectation for the character I’m shooting for for this one. I REALLY like the idea for a small 5-7% dark Munich malt addition for sure though.
The aromatic addition ends up being 7.3% in my recipe, so right at the top of the range you mentioned. Cheers!

Back