First lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batsakis

Reaction score
Hello

I am making a porter that called for a lager yeast and 50 degree fermentation. It has started fermenting and smells awesome. I am just confused because it appears to be fermenting on top and I thought it was supposed to ferment on the bottom? Any help with this? Thanks!

The terms "top fermenting" and "bottom fermenting" are something of anachronistic misnomers. Both types of yeast float about and eat sugars wherever they can find them. Lager yeasts tend to have a smaller, tighter krausen, but even that can vary significantly. Krausen isn't fermentation; it's a foam that is kicked up by protein agglutination and agitation brought on by the release of CO2. Lagers tend to have less because they ferment at a slower-and-steadier pace.

The terms "top fermenting" and "bottom fermenting" are something of anachronistic misnomers. Both types of yeast float about and eat sugars wherever they can find them. Lager yeasts tend to have a smaller, tighter krausen, but even that can vary significantly. Krausen isn't fermentation; it's a foam that is kicked up by protein agglutination and agitation brought on by the release of CO2. Lagers tend to have less because the ferment at a slower-and-steadier pace.

Mal, yer really into this stuff :)

Latest posts

Back