filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlg779

Reaction score
Hey guys im new to brewing beer so I was wanting to know if I can filter my beer after the secondary and still bottle condition

I've was wondering about that myself and after some research on it, the answer, unfortunately is no. I would love to be able to do it, but it's just not physically possible. Bottle conditioning requires yeast and the yeast will fall out of solution creating the sediment layer. Probably the best you'd be able to do it filter it and then add just enough yeast to carbonate and no more. That way your sediment layer is minimized, but it will still be there. Wish I could be of more help. Cheers!

It's basically not possible to effectively filter homebrew unless you're kegging. You have to be able to push the beer using co2 from keg A, through a filter housing, into keg B. Trying to strain or filter beer without the proper filter media and/or a closed co2 environment will result in MASSIVE oxidation and minimum actual filtering.

nukebrewer said:
I've was wondering about that myself and after some research on it, the answer, unfortunately is no. I would love to be able to do it, but it's just not physically possible. Bottle conditioning requires yeast and the yeast will fall out of solution creating the sediment layer. Probably the best you'd be able to do it filter it and then add just enough yeast to carbonate and no more. That way your sediment layer is minimized, but it will still be there. Wish I could be of more help. Cheers!

Unless you are filtering between two kegs all you are going manage to do is oxidize your beer. If you want clear beer, cool it quickly after boiling. Carefully avoid trub when siphoning to your fermenter. Let the beer have enough time to clear in primary or use a secondary. Minimize the trub that makes it into the bottling bucket. And finally give your beer lots of time in the fridge after carbonating.

Back