Need help with Kvass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing Kvass in carboy, don't have siphon :(
Have cheesecloth, can filter yeast with or not? (I watched a youtube short telling me it will not filter it out) Also
Please let me know progress on this because the black stuff is bread btw,
But there something look fat on the carboy (my other newbro friend telling me it is literal fat from rye bread but im always scared)
and;
I need overall handholding please
Thank you amazing

IMAGES ON LINK:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VUgAdzmfkc1_N_eC1b8WI11YN2vEBN5QzRAdV_kNmEc/edit?usp=sharingThank you for da help

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/russian-kvas.468209/#post-6039895
the poster in the thread above has experience making kvas. i would get a siphon - any tube will work. dont filter it just siphon off the top mostly liquid layer. time is always you friend in homebrewing so let it settle.

i would definitely look for a recipe like the one in the thread above next time.

i cant see the fat in the carboy well but its likely some sort of kreusen.

but what was your process. did you boil your wort to sterilize it? what ingredients did you use?
bread is full of mold spores usually so you may have something there besides whatever yeast you put in there?
fermentis safkvas c37 is specific kvas yeast but likely hard to find.

cheers and good luck

You can just pour off the kvass from the top, leaving the yeast cake behind in the jug.

For that, handle the jug carefully, moving it slowly, to prevent the yeast/trub cake on the bottom from mixing in.
Pour gently and slowly in a steady stream, without "glugging" or tilting the jug back.

The yeast will likely slide slowly along with the kvass toward the opening. When you see the yeast getting close to the mouth of the jug, tilt it back. Done!

The yeast is drinkable, there's quite much suspended in your kvass, hence the haziness.

Back