TDS starting point

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I recently got a TDS meter and looks like my local water supply is ~94ppm. My supposed filtered water out of my refrigerator showed 84ppm. So I think this is fairly good, however still purchased a RO system so I can do my own water profiles. I have not planned on doing a water test. I do know that after the fridge filter, I still have white residue on anything that drops on the tray in the fridge.

Was I wrong in getting an RO system? I am down to 8ppm with it. Should I still consider doing a water report?
Thanks!
:rock: :mug:

I recently got a TDS meter and looks like my local water supply is ~94ppm. My supposed filtered water out of my refrigerator showed 84ppm. So I think this is fairly good, however still purchased a RO system so I can do my own water profiles. I have not planned on doing a water test. I do know that after the fridge filter, I still have white residue on anything that drops on the tray in the fridge.

Was I wrong in getting an RO system? I am down to 8ppm with it. Should I still consider doing a water report?
Thanks!
:rock: :mug:

Have you checked the TDS meter with some distilled water?

If your input water really is 94 ppm, getting 8 ppm RO is only about 91% rejection rate. OK, but should be higher, above 95%. Still, 8 ppm is close enough for building your brewing water.

Have you checked the TDS meter with some distilled water?

If your input water really is 94 ppm, getting 8 ppm RO is only about 91% rejection rate. OK, but should be higher, above 95%. Still, 8 ppm is close enough for building your brewing water.
I did check. It was about the same. The numbers were first run. I had the check valve open and flushed one gallon. I suspect it might drop just a tad once I put a few more gal through.

close the flush valve for normal operation, as well as to get a tds reading of the purified water. Make sure you let the system run for about 90 seconds before you test the tds

Back