Fermenting Saison at Cool Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
I really enjoy saison and farmhouse styles of beer, but am somewhat puzzled. I have read in multiple sources that they were originally fermented during the winter in order to drink the following spring/summer. Yet all the yeasts recommended temp ranges are in the 70s and 80s. I find it hard to believe that Belgian farmers in the early 20th C. were warming their sheds or homes to those temperatures. As a low budget casual brewer, I am not currently brewing with temp control. I have made some great saison fermenting in the 70s during the summertime. Does anyone have experience fermenting saison yeast at lower temperatures, particularly ambient temperatures during the winter? I usually keep my house in the mid 60s during the winter time. I don't mind a long fermentation, but I am worried about the yeast stalling and creating bottle bombs.

Keep in mind that Belgian farmers weren't brewing with single, specific strains purchased from Wyeast, White, etc... who have marketing reasons for providing you with optimal temperature ranges for their product. People routinely start their ferments in the mid-60's with Saison yeasts. I think Saison yeasts are some of the most forgiving yeasts around. You'll be fine with most Saison yeasts at mid-60s, except for maybe the notorious "DuPont" strain, which is known to stall/take forever at low temperatures. Even then, you use methods to up the temps artificially to get the yeast temperature up.

By the way, Wyeast 3711 has a recommended range of 65-77F. That's probbaly one of the more user friendly yeasts around. Belle Saison behaves similarly. I plan on using those two (or blends) this winter when ambient basement temps get into the mid-60's. May have different profiles than my summer ferments.

French saison and Belle saison don't need to be really hot. Thr strains you get now probably aren't representative of what people used on farms back in the day. They'd probably just use whatever they could get their hands on.

Biere de garde is generally fermented at the colder end of what the strains can take and it was brewed for the same purpose. It's a much cleaner beer.

As above, WY 3711 and Belle ferment easily at lower temps. Also, if you can invest in a brew belt and simple timer you effectively have temp control for cooler months. It won't get you up to 90F, but 75 for sure.

I routinely brew saisons in the mid-60's using Belle Saison and other saison yeasts without any problems. However, in my experience, the colder the fermentation temperature, the less of a saison spice/pepper flavor you get. That's fine for me, because it makes for a very clean beer which most of my casual beer drinking friends like with just a hint of a spice/pepper flavor.

I really enjoy saison and farmhouse styles of beer, but am somewhat puzzled. I have read in multiple sources that they were originally fermented during the winter in order to drink the following spring/summer. Yet all the yeasts recommended temp ranges are in the 70s and 80s. I find it hard to believe that Belgian farmers in the early 20th C. were warming their sheds or homes to those temperatures. As a low budget casual brewer, I am not currently brewing with temp control. I have made some great saison fermenting in the 70s during the summertime. Does anyone have experience fermenting saison yeast at lower temperatures, particularly ambient temperatures during the winter? I usually keep my house in the mid 60s during the winter time. I don't mind a long fermentation, but I am worried about the yeast stalling and creating bottle bombs.

I ferment mine in the 60s and win gold with it. I think the 70s and 80s thing is another one of those endless old homebrewers tales that needs to die.

I ferment mine in the 60s and win gold with it. I think the 70s and 80s thing is another one of those endless old homebrewers tales that needs to die.

I don't think it's a tale that needs to die. It is a viable option for homebrewers, just as fermenting in the 60's is a viable option. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to fermentation temperature. People do what works for them.

Thanks all, I will give it a shot with 3711. Very helpful to know there are others out there who have done it, as literally every thread I could find said to ferment 70 or higher, but that did not square with the historical descriptions.

While tweaking my saison recipe I've fermented at a range of temps. You can ferment 3711 in the 60s but it is much cleaner than the 70s. Personally I prefer the higher temp, as it gets much more yeast flavor. I do one recipe at 75 with 3711 and I love it. However mid 60s also makes a darn tasty brew, which alot of my non beer drinking friends find more approachable.

Thanks all, I will give it a shot with 3711. Very helpful to know there are others out there who have done it, as literally every thread I could find said to ferment 70 or higher, but that did not square with the historical descriptions.

3711 does tend to produce an unusually slick mouthfeel that can seem a bit odd. Its a great yeast, but if you want to dry it out consider including 5-8% table sugar in the mix.

I ferment Fermentis BE-134 low. Start at 60 and raise to near as makes no odds 70 as possible. Always finishes right and with a refreshingly clean, dry finish. Last brew was 100% Pilsner malt, 22 ibu (Strissesplat 1.8 aa) 1.050 sg and 1.003 fg with fermentation high of 67. Yeast starts cranking from 61 onwards. Lovely grainy flavour with earthy hops and a slight bubblegum ester. Cleaner than you might be used to but delicious none the less.

I feel like I got a hefeweizen when I ran 3711 at 68 some years back. Very banana / clovey.

I've got a batch with Saison Parfait going right now - pitched around 68, sits in my 64-degree basement. Doesn't seem to generate a lot of heat in its own. Forgiving yeasts? Yes, but may alter the flavor profile a bit (for better or worse is up to the consumer).

The commercially available saison strains all seem to do fine in the 60s. Personally I think 3711 is at its best 85-89F.

If you are using strains or blends that did not come from a yeast lab you may find you need to go hotter to get good fermentation.

I've used Omega's Saisonstein Monster and recently brewed Napolean/3711 @ 68ish and both are fantastic and not lacking in yeast profile/flavor.

I also like Omega's Saisonstein Monster. Does not stall, slightly tart, good phenolics, fruity, high attenuation, pretty fast and the sedimentation is also good ( not flocculation ).

I've brewed saisons with WLP565, WY3711, Bootleg Biology Mad Fermentationist Blend, and harvest yeast from Ommegang Hennepin (which some say is actually WLP565). I've never had one stall out on me with a temp schedule of 65F pitch, ramp to 68 for 3-4 days then take up to 72F for about a week, before I do a soft crash and age (usually 3-4 weeks).

Back when I first started I tried high temp fermentations with both 3711 and WLP565. They were good beers, but I actually like the flavor profile of 3711 fermented in the high 60 to low 70 range. More of the spicy notes I like and I usually pair it with ginger. My latest batch with the Bootleg Biology MF Blend was absolutely fantastic. Dry, lemony, tart, a little hay/rustic-ness, minimal funk; and the ferm temp never went about 72F.

Latest posts

Back