Fermentation is Dragging on and on...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruff311

Reaction score
I know there have been numerous posts about this in the past, but I'm still puzzled by my situation. I've never had a fermentation still bubbling in the airlock after about 5 days be it high or low gravity beers, warmer or cooler fermentation temps. I have a basic Bavarian hefeweizen (1.047 O.G., WLP300 yeast) that has been in the primary fermenter for >2 weeks and is still bubbling away every ~22 seconds. I wouldn't be as concerned if there was a lag or the fermentation had been rather slow all along, but between hours 20-42 i actually needed to affix a blow-off tube because the fermentation was so active it was getting overflow all over the place.

The satellite fermenter i have for gravity readings has been stuck at 1.010 for the better part of the past week. I can't see the reason being an infection. It still smells great and I was just as careful in sanitation as I ever am. Can I just keg this thing? I'm getting really anxious. :confused:

Satellite fermentors always ferment faster, wait another week and check the gravity, ignore the airlock, all it means is there is gas escaping, check the gravity.

Satellite fermentors always ferment faster, wait another week and check the gravity, ignore the airlock, all it means is there is gas escaping, check the gravity.

I agree completely. In my experience showing some patience will almost always result in better beer. Two weeks is not a lot of time. Hang in there a little longer.

One of the fun (and sometimes frustrating) things about homebrewing is that no two batches ever seem to work the same. You are, after all, dependent on living organisms to make your beer.

Back