Stalled Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattman91

Reaction score
I’m a bit puzzled. I’ve been brewing for several years and have never had a stalled fermentation, but I think that is what I’m dealing with here.

FFB7ECE1-1439-4F3A-BF95-33E3A10B3A88.jpeg

I pitched yeast Sunday morning. I ferment in this King Junior with a blowoff tube attached and at no point has there been any bubbling. I have pulled up the pressure relief valve a few times and nothing comes out. The only sign of fermentation is the very thin krausen.

This is a 3.5 gallon 1.054. OG Dunkel. I used a good dose of yeast nutrient and 2 packs of M76 Bavarian lager yeast. I pitched at about 60F and have kept it at 50F since.

Is this normal? Should I ramp up the temperature 5-6 degrees? Pitch another pack of yeast?

There undoubtedly looks like things are happening or have happened in there.
Maybe you have a leak somewhere?
Let it sit a while and check gravity.
I went ahead and hooked up gas and it did not show signs of a noticeable leak. I took a sample and the gravity is down to 1.016, so I think we are all good. Weird.

Latest posts

Back