Fellowship of the Homebrew XII: The Purge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm only showing ~55% attenuation. Do you really think it might be done? The recipe FG is 1.017. I used 1 lb Black Patent, 0.75 of C70, 0.5 of pale chocolate, and 1 lb lactose. I was aiming for a mash temperature of 151F, but ended up a little warm, probably 153-154F for 10-15 min until I could get it cooled down.
Huh, just typing that out, I think I've convinced MYSELF that it's done.

I'm only showing ~55% attenuation. Do you really think it might be done? The recipe FG is 1.017. I used 1 lb Black Patent, 0.75 of C70, 0.5 of pale chocolate, and 1 lb lactose. I was aiming for a mash temperature of 151F, but ended up a little warm, probably 153-154F for 10-15 min until I could get it cooled down.
Is that your true attenuation or is it still factoring in your lactose in it. That may change things quiet a bit. Also what yeast strain did use? I routinely have my milkstouts finish between 1.026-1.032 (1.032 are imperial milk stouts) and mash 154 on those.

Is that your true attenuation or is it still factoring in your lactose in it. That may change things quiet a bit. Also what yeast strain did use? I routinely have my milkstouts finish between 1.026-1.032 (1.032 are imperial milk stouts) and mash 154 on those.
I'm using:

(OGmeas - SGcurr) / (1 - OGmeas)

Where:

OGmeas = measured (hydrometer) OG

SGcurr = current gravity (what my Tilt is telling me)

I used S-04. The krausen has completely fallen, and I have a very defined yeast cake on the bottom of my fermenter.

I'm using:

(OGmeas - SGcurr) / (1 - OGmeas)

Where:

OGmeas = measured (hydrometer) OG

SGcurr = current gravity (what my Tilt is telling me)

I used S-04. The krausen has completely fallen, and I have a very defined yeast cake on the bottom of my fermenter.
Ok you can use that but subtract the GU Points of the lactose in your OG and use that for your OGmeas and then subtract the same number of points from your SGcurr. That will give you the attenuation of your fermentable wort, which is your true attenuation

Last edited:
Ok you can use that but subtract the GU Points of the lactose in your OG and use that for your OGmeas and then subtract the same number of points from your SGcurr. That will give you the attenuation of your fermentable wort, which is your true attenuation
OK, that's giving me ~62% attenuation, which I guess is reasonable for S-04. I still think @fourfarthing will be getting a sweeeeeeet milk stout!

@Beerwildered missed the 1st slot
aharri1 Selected Rcope
DrGMG has selected Wepeeler
TwistedGray has selected DrGMG
camonick has selected Beerwildered
@wepeeler Missed the 6th slot
RCope has selected aharri1
3 Dawg Night has selected Atlantatopher
fourfarthing has selected 3 Dawg Night
Atlantatopher has selected fourfarthing
Dgallo has selected camonick

Remaining Offers

@Dgallo

Style ------- Imperial Oat Cream IPA
ABV % ------- 8.4%
IBU --------- N/A
Description - A heavy malted oat grainbill, hopped with Idaho 7, Strata, and Citra LUPOMAX

Style ------- Farmhouse Ale
ABV % ------- 6.2%
IBU --------- N/A
Description - Fruited mixed fermented farmhouse ale featuring Raspberry, vanilla, orange and zest.

Style ------- Brett IPA
ABV % ------- 6.2%
IBU --------- N/A
Description - 100% Brett fermented IPA hopped with Citra, Mosaic, and cashmere. ***disclaimer*** the funk character has become the dominate note. It’s extremely unique and delicious but no longer really reminiscent of an IPA even though it was hopped at a rate of over 2.5 oz per gallon

Also a possible surprise beer

----------------------

@TwistedGray

Style ------- "48" - House Ale
ABV % ------- 2.10%
IBU --------- (very low)
Description - Each year I harvest my blackberries I brew something with them. This year's "house ale" is fruited with 4.5lbs of blackberry goop (I remove the seeds and skin) and wet hopped with a blend of my homegrown hops (two plants - no clue what they are anymore). It's a session beer.

Style ------- Tiocfaidh ár lá ("Our day will come") - Irish Red Ale
ABV % ------- 5.12%
IBU --------- (unknown)
Description - My first foray into Irish Red's, so we'll see how this turns out.

Style ------- Baby Spuds - Irish Red Ale
ABV % ------- 3.94%
IBU --------- (unknown)
Description - This is the second runnings from the above IRA with a few changes (hop volume, water, and yeast). This had, of course, a lower starting gravity, but it also have a lower finish gravity.

Style ------- NA Strawberry Sour - Kettle Sour
ABV % ------- 0.53%
IBU --------- 0
Description - NA Strawberry Sour - El Jefe Brewing Company - Untappd

Style ------- Flor de Tila - Tea Beer
ABV % ------- 1%
IBU --------- 0
Description - This is an unhopped, non-alcoholic tea beer (1% ABV). It has a nice funk to it from the tea "pods". The tea is used in Mexico as a way to help gastro. intestinal issues, and it also supposedly helps you sleep. I get none of that, but it does have nice tannins : )

At this point whoever chooses first chooses for the other person, and it's first come first serve at this point. @Beerwildered / @wepeeler

@RCope damn!! HB 12 pack time!! Very nice coasters too!!
20200930_163903.jpg
20200930_163841.jpg

aharri1 is only about 4 hours north of me so he got a quick delivery...the beer was already in the bottles. I use a tapcooler bottle filler...most of my beer is kegged. The bottles are recyclable, just have to change the center sticker.

The coasters were a gift (I got a bunch) and as I told Austin, "brewed without malice" is less lame than "brewed with love".

It's my first round with you guys, so I'm trying not to disappoint... ;-)

aharri1 is only about 4 hours north of me so he got a quick delivery...the beer was already in the bottles. I use a tapcooler bottle filler...most of my beer is kegged. The bottles are recyclable, just have to change the center sticker.

The coasters were a gift (I got a bunch) and as I told Austin, "brewed without malice" is less lame than "brewed with love".

It's my first round with you guys, so I'm trying not to disappoint... ;-)

You rock

@wepeeler got the box today! It was properly packed but all the bottles leaked. I don't think flip-tops can handle the abuse. They're in he cooler now, will post feedback soon.

View attachment 700908
Crap! Sorry man. I literally just got a beer gun last week, and I'm starting to bottle properly. I'll see what I have on tap when I get some bottles, and I'll send you out another package.

@wepeeler First beer:

Style ------- All Citra NEIPA - NEIPA
ABV % ------- 6.1%
IBU --------- N/A
Description - All Citra, haze bomb. No bittering at 60. Golden promise, wheat, oats. Dank, orange, tangerine. Super juicy, soft bitterness/mouthfeel.

Very low carbonation, likely due to the leak. Thankfully, it is not oxidized. Very smooth and crushable IPA. Citra is one of my favorite hops so I knew I was going to like this.

119685306_3402038159915880_4312582855977028771_n.jpg

@wepeeler First beer:

Style ------- All Citra NEIPA - NEIPA
ABV % ------- 6.1%
IBU --------- N/A
Description - All Citra, haze bomb. No bittering at 60. Golden promise, wheat, oats. Dank, orange, tangerine. Super juicy, soft bitterness/mouthfeel.

Very low carbonation, likely due to the leak. Thankfully, it is not oxidized. Very smooth and crushable IPA. Citra is one of my favorite hops so I knew I was going to like this.

.View attachment 701160
Glad you liked it, but that color and low carbonation is not indicative of that beer at all. Major bummer. It's much brighter and almost over carbed directly from the keg. So sorry man!

Back