Fellowship of the Homebrew XII: The Purge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers,

We have some unprecedented things going on in these times but if there is one thing I know to be true about this community it's that your resiliency is amazing! Most of you probably have ingredients on hand but if not should still be able to have them delivered to you. Enjoy some time being home with the family and learn more about this great craft and get out there and fill up the pipeline for this trade!

Welcome to the FotHB Society...membership dues are payable to @PianoMan and @TwistedGray!

How to become a member of our super secret, public, everyone is invited (well...kinda) society of FotHB traders
1. Review the previous FotHB threads - linked at the bottom.
2. Express your interested by letting us know in this thread.
3. Have four beer styles in bottles, fermentors, or otherwise in the immediate works. If you have only a single style of beer in your inventory, you have some catching up to do.
4. Send a private message to me including descriptions of your homebrew offerings (see previous FotHB rounds).
5. If you are not going to be around for the pick date/time send me a pick list order so that I can put your pick in for you.
6. On pick day, show up at your time slot to submit your pick. If you sent me a pick list I'll cover you.
7. If you show up on draft day late and your position has been passed over you will be the next in line after whoever the current picker is. (example: You were pick #2 but you show up during #6's pick...you will get to pick after #7 then it resumes the picking order)
8. If you completely forget and do not show up on draft day, it will become a first come first serve free for all.

Rules, there must be rules
- Continental US residents only
- Must be of legal drinking age
- Participants must have at least 1 iTrader rating, of course 100% positive; otherwise, just PM me your mail trading experience. Newbies are welcomed but vetted by their peers.
- All participants are expected to leave feedback on itrader once their package is received

Note: If you have not shipped beer before and have no one vetting you, check the LOT thread (<--link) out and get involved there first. You can get trader feedback in time to get involved in this trade...just be snappy about it. OR post in this thread; most of us are interested in small trades to help HBT members get involved.

Offer guidelines
- Minimum offerings are 4-12oz bottles of your favorite Home brew; ANY beer style along with ciders, meades, hard lemonades, sours, etc.
- If possible, 4 different styles are preferred, but we understand how difficult that can be so no flogging if it's not possible. (One style is not enough, but 2-3 might be allowed...group consensus)
- Be willing to share recipe and explain your brewing techniques to those who request
- Be willing to give constructive and useful feedback on the homebrew you received to aid our fellow brewers if requested
- Guidelines are just that, guidelines. Final shipments may, and many times do, exceed the offering posted. Extras are not required and should not be expected. You should be okay with receiving the offer as-is.

Current timelines / Important dates and times
8/31/2020 - Start thread
9/22/2020 - Offers due in by midnight.
9/25/2020 - List of offers, pick order, and pick times posted once all orders are in (will post as soon as all offers are in)
9/27/2020 - pick day starting at 6pm EST (3pm PST)
Current timeline is subject to change depending on feedback from participants

Caution - We have had a number of members forget the dates and times; put it in your Google Calendar or set reminders.

What happens on pick day
- Based on the pick order (posted 10/02/2020) the first individual will have five minutes to make their selection
- The second individual in the list will have up to five minutes to make their selection
- Rinse and repeat until all members have chosen (see notes above about late arrivals, MIAs, etc)
- There will be a timeline provided by the OP (me) as well that includes pauses in order to update the available offers, let people catch up, etc.

Past FOTHBs REVIEW THESE THREADS IF YOU HAVEN'T JOINED FotHB
FotHB I
FotHB II
FotHB III
FotHB IV
FotHB V
FotHB VI
FotHB VII
FotHB VIII
FotHB IX
FotHB X
FotHB XI

In
E94A2FD0-3B7A-49D7-ADA3-45E282D1F5CA.jpeg

I feel like this might be a great place to ask. I just kegged my first beer today. I have another that I will hopefully get kegged in a few days. Do you folks that bottle from a keg use a beer gun or something similar? Or just fill from the tap and cap on the foam? Just want to make sure I can send some beer that won’t be ruined when the time comes.

I feel like this might be a great place to ask. I just kegged my first beer today. I have another that I will hopefully get kegged in a few days. Do you folks that bottle from a keg use a beer gun or something similar? Or just fill from the tap and cap on the foam? Just want to make sure I can send some beer that won’t be ruined when the time comes.
I've tried all of the methods you mentioned and they all work. However, unless you can purge out the O2, the beer will stale quickly so you'll need to drink them fast. If you're in the market check out the tapcooler bottle filler. After trying several methods, that's my favorite. Super easy and allows you to purge the bottle with CO2. It requires forward sealing faucets though.

I've tried all of the methods you mentioned and they all work. However, unless you can purge out the O2, the beer will stale quickly so you'll need to drink them fast. If you're in the market check out the tapcooler bottle filler. After trying several methods, that's my favorite. Super easy and allows you to purge the bottle with CO2. It requires forward sealing faucets though.

Fortunately, I was able to spring for forward sealing faucets. Looks like a sweet little rig there. Thanks!

I'm getting a beer gun for my BDay in a few weeks, but right now, I fill directly from my kegs with a picnic tap. I use swing tops. I purge keg, then turn on CO2 for a quick second or two. Just enough to push some beer out. I fill swing tops (or growlers) to the tippity top and then cap. Never had an issue with oxidation, but I have had the swing tops pop off 1x during shipping.

I tried the beer gun and similar. The best of the best is the Williams Warn Counter-pressure Bottle Filler. It works really really well. It’s definitely on the pricey end of solutions, but I get perfectly filled and carved bottles every time.

I tried the beer gun and similar. The best of the best is the Williams Warn Counter-pressure Bottle Filler. It works really really well. It’s definitely on the pricey end of solutions, but I get perfectly filled and carved bottles every time.

That’s should read “filled and carbed” not carved...

I'm getting a beer gun for my BDay in a few weeks, but right now, I fill directly from my kegs with a picnic tap. I use swing tops. I purge keg, then turn on CO2 for a quick second or two. Just enough to push some beer out. I fill swing tops (or growlers) to the tippity top and then cap. Never had an issue with oxidation, but I have had the swing tops pop off 1x during shipping.
Electrical tape will solve that swing top popping issue.

I’ll jump in but I’ll have to use some current brews. Fire season is upon us and I’m traveling back and forth to Cali too often to brew right now. I have at least 6 brews currently available

I’ll jump in but I’ll have to use some current brews. Fire season is upon us and I’m traveling back and forth to Cali too often to brew right now. I have at least 6 brews currently available

And it's a blazing here...current brews are certainly acceptable. There is no requirement to brew 'new' beer for the trades :)

I wish I could participate. Only have one in the keg. It's a Frankenstein that needs time. I'll have to bow out. However, I'm headed to Connecticut in a week. I'll be brewing again commercially. My "pilot" brews definitely qualify as HB.

I'm not even sure the last time I posted on HBT, but I still get tagged in these, which is awesome! Too bad the app is gone, that was my saving grace.
I'm out for this round, will try to keep me eyes on it in the future. Harvest is upon us, or will be shortly, not much free time to shop and ship.

I'm not even sure the last time I posted on HBT, but I still get tagged in these, which is awesome! Too bad the app is gone, that was my saving grace.
I'm out for this round, will try to keep me eyes on it in the future. Harvest is upon us, or will be shortly, not much free time to shop and ship.

Yeah I was thinking about you a few nights ago, sexually...obviously. Glad you're still around if not fully around and look forward to getting you back on the HBT horse. Anyways, I use the "web browser version," but my hands are small and my phone is big...so it works out.

Yeah I was thinking about you a few nights ago, sexually...obviously. Glad you're still around if not fully around and look forward to getting you back on the HBT horse. Anyways, I use the "web browser version," but my hands are small and my phone is big...so it works out.
Yeah, trying to find time to fit everything in just sucks! 3 kids (6, 4, and 2) keep me busy enough!

Back