Fellowship of the Home Brew XIII: Never Give up, Never Surrender!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it looks like I'll be responsible for running FotHB XIV, I started some research and planning. Does a June announcement for a July pick sound good to everyone?

FYI, my research led me to a couple of observations:

1) @PianoMan hosted the first FotHB, back in 2017.
2) @PianoMan (V, IX, XII) and @TwistedGray (I, VIII, XIII) are the only repeat hosts.
3) The average number of participants is 11. The largest were FotHBs X & XI with 15 apiece. The smallest was FotHB II with 5 participants.
4) I am an definitely an engineer.

Step 1 - wait until everyone from this round ships and beers are received ;)

Holy hell y’all. We have an incredible selection.

lucky for me I’ve moved my way down the list so it won’t be too hard for me!

I’m so sad I’m missing this round!! Hope everyone has a blast. I’ll hopefully be back in next round
I’m also sad...I was hoping you’d pick me so I could return your bottles that I saved, with labels still in good condition

Abs then one more comment for you all...I often have a lot to say about my brews but think it’s going too far, then I see your offerings and I think “I really should have said more”

I’m excited for this round and whoever picks me will get something a local offering that you’ll never find in your stores.
Not sure how to even make this list other than having myself last!

I’m also sad...I was hoping you’d pick me so I could return your bottles that I saved, with labels still in good condition
I don’t have to be in this round for you to send them back..with your beer in them;) lol

In all seriousness, you can keep the bottles brother. I have the labels saved in the software I use to make them

Last edited:
Since it looks like I'll be responsible for running FotHB XIV, I started some research and planning. Does a June announcement for a July pick sound good to everyone?

FYI, my research led me to a couple of observations:

1) @PianoMan hosted the first FotHB, back in 2017.
2) @PianoMan (V, IX, XII) and @TwistedGray (I, VIII, XIII) are the only repeat hosts.
3) The average number of participants is 11. The largest were FotHBs X & XI with 15 apiece. The smallest was FotHB II with 5 participants.
4) I am an definitely an engineer.

Wow, been that long already? Usually every 3-4 months is good timing.

Last edited:
Don't mind me...just making bouquets.
PXL_20210406_191332589.jpg

Ignore previous offer - mushroom beer is not a thing, lol, and I won't be changing anyone's mind.
PXL_20210409_004756904.jpg

New offer...
• Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout (8.66%)
• Oatmeal Stout (7.35%)
• Session Oatmeal Stout (3.81%)
• Carob Session Stout (2.63%)
• House Ale (blackberry ale) (2%)

Possibly a freshly brewed Saison...possibly...needs to pass QA/QC

Fellowship of the Home Brew XIII Offers:

Pianoman:

Vanilla/Coffee RIS: 10.5%. Word on the street is this has morphed to a chocolate RIS.
- 2 Row, Munich 10, C80, Choclate, Malt Roasted Barley, Carapils, Dark DME
- Columbus
- Safale-05
- Italian Roast
- Vanilla Extract (Brewer's Best)

Scottish Ale: 9.4%. My first attempt. Used some free yeast from SoCo Home brew. Aging nicely.
- Maris otter, special roast, aromatic, melanodian, Chocolate Malt
- Magnum, Fuggles
- Omaga 015 (Scottish Ale)/ Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale)

Oak Barrel Quad: 11%. 15 Months old.
- 2Row, Pilsner, Caramunich, Aromatic, Carapils, Special-B
- Galena, Styrian Goldings
- Wyeast Trappist (3787)
- Aged in Spent Balcones Whiskey Barrel

Westlveteren 12 Clone (Belgian Quad) v3: 10.4%. 3 months old and definitely the closest to the real thing so far.
- Pale Malt, Pilsner, Candi (180/45), Melanodian
- Magnum, Galena
- Wyeast Trappist (3787)

Gin/Lime Gose: 4.5% (10% with gin added!)
- DME Wheat, Pale Malt, Acid Malt, Pink Himalayan Mountain Extra Spiritual Salt
- Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale (1388)
- saaz
- Texas Gin, Lime Zest and Lime Extract

Possibly....
Peach Mead: 11%ish. Made with 8lbs of local honey and frozen peaches. Needs some doctering up but hopefully will be added.

Raspberry Hard Lemonade (6%)
Summer family favorite. Hard Lemonade then secondary with frozen raspberries and Extract added.

...and maybe some local goodies.....:)
=================================================================================================

TwistedGray:

New offer...
• Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout (8.66%)
• Oatmeal Stout (7.35%)
• Session Oatmeal Stout (3.81%)
• Carob Session Stout (2.63%)
• House Ale (blackberry ale) (2%)

Possibly a freshly brewed Saison...possibly...needs to pass QA/QC

≠≠=====================≠====================================================

Camonick:

Smashed Otter

MO/EKG SMaSH
Maris Otter malt & East Kent Goldings Hops
5.0% ABV 4.7 SRM 26.3 IBUs

Dunk!!!
Munich Dunkel
Munich Malt, Pilsner Malt, Melanoiden and Carafa I
Tettnang Hops
5.3% ABV 15.5 SRM 26 IBUs

Silhouetto of a Man
Bohemian Black Lager (supposed Shiner 97 clone)
Pilsner Malt, Blackprinz & Rye Malt
Saaz & Styrian Goldings hops
4.7% ABV 30.1 SRM 24.7 IBUs

Shielbaggan
Dry Irish Stout (@RCope recipe)
2-row Stout Malt, Maris Otter, Flaked Barley, Black Barley, Chocolate Wheat & Chocolate Rye Malt
First Gold, EKG & Challenger hops
4.8% ABV 35.9 SRM 40.3 IBUs

Hell's Bells
Munich Helles (@BierMuncher recipe)
Pilsner, Vienna, Munich & CaraFoam Malts
Tettnang hops
4.9% ABV 3.9 SRM 20.3 IBUs

Flat Tire
Amber Ale Fat Tire clone (not really)
2-row, Munich, C80 & Victory Malt
EKG, Willamette & Nugget hops
5.4% ABV 13.6 ABV 23 IBUs

=================================================================================================
yopp89:

Saison – 6.0% 28 IBU, Simple Saison w/ French Strisselspalt hops and fermented with a combo of 3724 & 3726.
Dry Irish Stout – 4.2% 30 IBU, V3 of my Guinness Clone.
Piwo Grodziskie – 4.0% 18 IBU, 100% Oak Smoked Wheat.
Farmhouse Ale – 5.8% 28 IBU, traditional Biere de Garde recipe fermented with a mixed culture harvested from Brewery Vivant.
Butterbeer – 5.3% 15 IBU, Cream Ale brewed for Wizards and Witches alike.
NEIPA – 5.8% 50 IBU, First attempt at this style, hopped with Ekuanot, Mosaic & Citra.
Ellis Imperial Stout 2020 – 12.0% 60 IBU, my yearly Imperial Stout, this years recipe includes smoked malt, rye and chocolate.
12 oz of something seasonal and extremely high gravity(N.A.)

Rcope:

“Mounds Bar” Stout 6.38% 33ibu American Stout
Coconut and chocolate. What could go wrong?

Blueberry Sour 5.8% ?ibu Co-sour
Magnum hop tea and Sultana dry hop

Beachwood IPA “clone” 6.8% 77ibu WCIPA
Lots of Mosaic, also Warrior, Amarillo, and CTZ

Spruce Tip IPA 6.1% 78ibu WCIPA
Warrior, Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial

Triumph IPL 6.2% 45ibu Hoppy Pilsner
Triumph single hop

Butterfly Passion Sour 5.4% ?ibu Co-sour
Clitoria Ternatea Tea, Passion fruit, Hop tea

Nectaron Single Hop 5.8% 46ibu Pale Ale
Magnum for bittering, the rest Nectaron

Mango Milkshake 7.7% 55ibu NEIPA
Amarillo, Azacca, Ella, a touch of Galaxy and 6lbs Mango

“Joe’s Beer” 5.5% 32ibu Hoppy Pilsner with rice flakes
My buddy Joe drinks Miller Lite. Mt. Hood, El Dorado, Citra

“Hop Whisperer” 6% 45ibu NEIPA
Bru-1, Citra, Zappa, a bit of Simcoe and Strata

DrGMG:

Hazy DIPA 8% ABV using Ella, Summer, Vic Secret. Fermented with Cali Ale V. Hoppy as hell with a bit of dank.

Recíproco Ver 4 - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

BBA Quad 10.8%. The base quad won best of show last year in a Florida competition, was brewed at Rockpit Brewing later.

Barrel Aged Baptiste - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

Brandy Barrel Aged Lake County Brand Stout Coffee 13%. Brandy barrel aged stout with Honduran coffee and rye barrel aged maple syrup.

Brandy Barrel Aged Lake County Brand Stout Coffee - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

English Barleywine (in the fermenter). 10-12% Made with pecans and walnuts in the mash. This one has made it to the NHC finals a while back.

Graco's Bob Barley - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

Brandy barrel aged imperial stout 15.3%. LCBS base. Very malty with caramel notes.

Brandy Barrel Aged Lake County Brand Stout - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

fourfarthing:

There will be more, but this is my base offer

Light Diffusing - 7.7% Saison brewed with Nugget, Celeia and Saaz. 40IBUs. WY3724/WY3726 blend

George 5.1% Bo Pils, 100% Saaz Hop. Kreusened with unfermented Helles. (still bottle conditioning)

Arthur 5.8% Witbier. Orange and coriander added at flameout, with the orange done through a aleo-saccharum infusion. Kreusened with unfermented Helles. (still bottle conditioning)

3 Dawg Night:

Jolly Roger
American Porter
ABV: 6.6%
IBU: 34
Description: I've recently fallen in love with porters, so it was time I brewed my own. This one is turned out quite nice: roasty and rich, with chocolate and coffee notes.

Edelweiss
Weissbier (Hefeweizen)
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 12
Description: A spicy, bready, refreshing hefeweizen.

Maggie G
Blonde Ale
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 18
Description: This is an easy-drinking blonde. It's a great lawnmower beer.

Herman the German
Dunkles Weissbier (Dunkleweizen)
ABV: 5.7%
IBU: 14
Description: A little over a decade ago, I went to Germany on a three-week business trip. Dunkleweizens were my bier of choice over those three weeks. It was absolutely delicious, but I've never been able to find a good dunkleweizen on this side of the Atlantic. I'm going to brew this one in a couple of weeks, in the hope that freshness makes all the difference.

aharri1:

Psuedo Like A Lager Screaming Harmonics on Untappd
Psuedo Like A Lager - Screaming Harmonics - Untappd
I used the new Lutra kveik strain with a helles grain bill and noble hops. Then, I double dry hopped it with Pacific Jade. Bready, fruity, easy to drink, and clear.

Drink That Funky Saison White Boy Screaming Harmonics on Untappd Drink That Funky Saison White Boy - Screaming Harmonics - Untappd
I co-pitched french saison yeast, belgian saison yeast, and a russian wildlower yeast for a house culture. Basil, lemongrass, and peppercorn's were added near the end of the boil. Dry, funky, and refreshing!

Stromas Barrel BBA Screaming Harmonics on Untappd Stromas Barrel BBA - Screaming Harmonics - Untappd
10.2% Scottish wee heavy aged for 4 months in a freshly emptied moonshine Brandy barrel. Smooth and semi-sweet

Bush Medicine Screaming Harmonics on Untappd Bush Medicine - Screaming Harmonics - Untappd
Caribbean style Stout using the recipe guidelines from the Jamaican dragon stout recipe. I used Omega DIPA 052 IPA yeast to give it more fruity notes. Lots of toffee, caramel, and some fruitiness are on the palate.

Lake County Swamp Nectar Screaming Harmonics on Untappd Lake County Swamp Nectar - Screaming Harmonics - Untappd
Hazy IPA brewed with a huge whirlpool of Azacca and El Dorado. Then, DDH with Azacca, El Dorado, and Galaxy hops. I co-pitched opshaug kveik and metschnikowia reukaufii wildlflower yeast for a more fruity flavor. It has notes of passion fruit, pineapple, citrus, and sweet melons.

ajbosley2015:

Kampfire King - Imperial S’mores Stout 10.78%, dark chocolate, graham crackers, cherry smoked malt, marshmallows and vanilla

LeMaître’s Flocculant Spiral - 14.4% Belgian “double” Quad

Microthermal Variations - American IPA 6.2%, 62IBU, Citra, Strata, Ekuanot with sabase of Maiden Voyage, Maris Otter, and Munich Light

Kepler-16A - Peach Cream Ale 5.23%, Sabro and Lemondrop, bottled with triple sec

Kepler-16B - Blackberry Cream Ale 5.26%, Sabro, Lemondrop, Azacca

wepeeler:

Russian Imperial Stout - Coffee, chocolate, roasty, yet smooth and complex stout. 9%

All Citra New England IPA. Super citrusy, hazy juice bomb. 6.9%

Citra/Mosaic New England IPA - Recipe I've been working on for a few years. Bright citrus. Orange and tangerine forward. Red candy, dank finish. 6.9%

German Pilsner - All Saaz. Crisp crusher. Noble hop profile balanced with a bready backbone. 4.5%

Atlantatopher:

Quad, Belgian Dark Strong, 11.7% 31.3 IBUs
Brewed before the start of COVID-19 this beer will take you back to Early 2019 when things were simpler and you could share an imperial beer with a friend. First time Brewing a quad but it is tasty and will be repeated and improved upon.

Ghost Story, Smoked Rye Stout, 10.1% 69.9 IBUs
This dark imperial stout is brewed with rye and smoked grains, making it the perfect summer stout to share with a ghost, ghoul,
or gremlin of your choice. A light grain sweetness, matched with a dry smoky finish will get you through any ghost story that
comes your way this summer.

House-Spouse Rice Lager 5.8% 22.8 IBUs
This one goes out to all the House-Spouses out there! Whether you’re new to the House-Spouse game
because of COVID-19, or you’ve always been a professional House-Spouse, you deserve this light, crisp,
and refreshing jasmine rice lager brewed with Sorachi Ace hops. This day-drinker is light enough to have
with lunch, in the shower, or while you mow the lawn, but flavorful enough to satisfy your taste for craft beer.

The Empress Imperial Sour IPA 10.5% 46.6 IBUs
The Empress is an Imperial Sour IPA and part of the Major Arcana of Swamp Witch beers.
The Empress sits on a throne wearing a starry crown, holding a brew in one hand. The beer
is representative of her love for life, and her crown has twelve stars representing her
dominance over the year. The Empress is traditionally associated with maternal influence.
She can represent the creation of life, romance, art, or new business.

This Imperial Sour IPA is brewed with Azacca, Simcoe, Motueka, and Cascade, with a
grand total of 14.4oz of hops in this five gallon batch.

Amber Eyes American Amber Ale 5.6% 32.9BUs
This delightful balance of hops and malt is one of the most drinkable beers we have ever made. Great for sitting outside with friends or on a zoom call. Strong malt profile with caramel notes us met with an equally strong prescience of Earthy hop flavor and hop bitterness.

If you're not into Yoga Pina Colada Berliner Wiess 3.1% 6.2 IBUs
Split batch of Berliner base, both featuring pineapples. This one got coconut milk and meat mixed in for that Pina colada flavor but does not over power the lactic tartness you expect in a kettle sour beer. Easy drinking and delicious. Start tart and a little sweet but finishes dry and refreshing.

Plinian Eruption, Dry-Hopped Double IPA 9% 186.8 IBUs
Take the base of Russian River's Pliny the Elder and modify with a first-wort hopping and a special selection of Columbus, Amarillo, and Cascade for a single dry-hopping dose and you get the Plinian Eruption. Big bitterness is balanced with the fruit-and-pine-forward flavor of the IPA's we know and love, with an understated malt presence. Pliny described the smoke pouring out of Vesuvius as resembling an umbrella pine tree--we've injected that image into the heart of this big IPA.

hot day in Caribbean Hot Sauce Berliner Wiess 3.1% 6.2 IBUs
Other half of split batch back by popular demand. Hot Sauce beer! Made with Guajillo peppers, pineapples, and curry powder. If you like hot sauce this beer is for you! That first sip will knock you back but it is quickly followed by sweet pineapple notes and rich curry powder. We were exploring making hot sauces and thought that the lactic sour of a Berliner wiesse would be a good substitute for vinegar. This beer also won 1st prize at the Hot 'N Humid Anomalous beer category!

Randomized List and Pick Times for Friday 4/9/21 Central Standard Times (CST)

There were 12 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. 3 Dawg Night -7:00pm (Congratulations!!!!)
  2. yoop89 - 7:05pm
  3. aharri1 - 7:10pm
  4. Atlantatopher - 7:15pm
  5. camonick - 7:20pm
  6. PianoMan - 7:25pm
  7. DrGMG - 7:30pm
  8. ajbosley2015 - 7:35pm
  9. wepeeler - 7:40pm
  10. RCope - 7:45pm
  11. TwistedGray - 7:50pm
  12. fourfarthing - 7:55pm
IP: 2605:a601:aa16:2500:3515:efb9:5ef3:b356
Timestamp: 2021-04-06 02:00:43 UTC

Final posting. Coming Soon... Awesomeness!

The entire universe?? Duh! 😭
True. You know, except for everyone else in the world that standardizes the time zones off of Greenwich mean time lol. Nah, in all seriousness: the US standardizes off of EST, we all know it; we just have 2/3 of the population rebelling against true standardization

True. You know, except for everyone else in the world that standardizes the time zones off of Greenwich mean time lol. Nah, in all seriousness: the US standardizes off of EST, we all know it; we just have 2/3 of the population rebelling against true standardization

My hope is everyone involved knows math.. hour here, 2 hours there. In any case 45min to go!!!

Drinking Microthermal Variations from my offering as we wait...but i have a long wait until my pick so I will likely move on to one of my other offerings between now and then

1. 3 Dawg Night -7:00pm Selects @DrGMG
  2. yoop89 - 7:05pm

Haha. Figures. Good thing I have two kids thus two picks selected!
I’ll take @Atlantatopher !

Sorry...That pick is not available!

HAHA just Kidding...

We are way ahead of schedule now....

1. 3 Dawg Night -7:00pm Selects @DrGMG
  2. yoop89 - 7:05pm Selects @Atlantatopher
@aharri1 has until 7:15pm CST..YES>>C..S...T!

Latest posts

Back