Esters and phenols -- love them or hate them.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
Now that I have been on this site for about 2 months and fermenting my fifth batch, I have notice a significant divide here. Those who love esters and phenols and those that don't want any part of it.

Do you too sense that divide? I am on the esters and phenol side, but it seems non-brewers don't like them -- because they have mixed feelings about my Belgian Pale.

They're great when they belong in that beer. A Belgian should have the characteristics of the Belgian yeast. A lager or "clean" beer should not. I'm not a huge fan of the banana esters, but I like the clove-like phenols and some fruitiness that mark a good Belgian!

I totally agree with Yooper here: I think that they each have their own place.

I also hate banana esters in beers universally, but I think that people are selling themselves short when they say that they don't like esters at all. I have a suspicion that beer wouldn't taste anything like it does currently without those little compounds.

Latest posts

Back